PDA

View Full Version : Advice about this cough?

Rachels
03-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Abigail was up a million times last night with an almost croupy-sounding cough. She was just miserable. Then this morning she seemed totally fine, so I decided not to take her to the doctor. All was well until I put her down for a nap, at which point she got all congested and started coughing again. Lying down is just impossible, even though she isn't otherwise particularly congested. Any ideas?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

redhookmom
03-25-2004, 04:22 PM
I would give her bath with some eucolyptus (sp?). Run the humidifier, prop up the mattress, and give her some cough med.

MelissaTC
03-25-2004, 04:23 PM
I know my DS is croup prone. Have you tried putting on a humidifier or putting her in a steamed up bathroom? I know that helped Matthew. Eventually, we needed to go the Ped and they prescribed an oral steroid for him. He was fine after that.

Good luck! I know how awful that is...

KGoes
03-25-2004, 04:52 PM
When DD has a cough or head cold, we prop up one end of her crib with phone books (one under each leg) so that her head is elevated. This helps everything drain and keeps her from having the cough associated with lying flat. The other thing that helps her congestion is the saline that we use in her nose, so even if she only has slight sniffles, but a cough, I send a few drops up her nose - I am assuming that this drips and helps loosen up her chest as well, but I have absolutely no medical information to back that up - although I did learn the trick from the nurse in the ER.
Hope Abigail is feeling better!!
Kelley
DD born 7/03

Karenn
03-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Croup *is* supposed to be worse at night, so that might be it. When Colin had croup last fall the doctor suggested exposing him to cool night air. He said that would often relieve the cough almost instantly. Also, I remember when Colin would wake in the middle of the night with croup, he would be fine the instant he was upright. Laying down again would cause all sorts of problems. Good luck getting to the bottom of things!

lukkykatt
03-25-2004, 05:08 PM
If it is croup, it will probably show up again tonight. If she wakes up coughing, turn on the humidifier and head to the bathroom. Sit in the bathroom with the shower running with hot water for 15 minutes. At 5 minute intervals, open the bathroom door to let the cold air in - for about a minute, then close again. You can do this as often as necessary. If it seems like Abigail is having difficulty breathing, call your ped RIGHT away.

We have been through this countless times and the shower has always worked for us. And luckily, the older your child is, the less severe it is likely to be (ds started getting croup at about 6 months old). It generally lasts 3 nights, and Abigail would be contagious (if this is what she has) as long as she has the croupy-sounding cough - even if she seems fine during the day.

I hope everything goes well for you and little Abigail tonight!

Rachels
03-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks, everyone. I did call the ped, who agreed with all of you about what to do and said it sounds like textbook croup. I'm to give her a cough suppressant, run the vaporizer, and take her out in the cold if she seems to be really having trouble. Ahhhhhhhh. I am so tired. Abby is so tired. She is also pretty hoarse now. I said to her, "Oh, you're a little hoarse," and she said, "Neigh." :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Andrea S
03-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Gotta love Toddlerhood.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

MelissaTC
03-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Awww...neigh. That is so sweet.

Good luck to you! I hope she feels better soon :(