PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop baby crying when change diaper?

CBB
03-25-2004, 05:13 PM
DD cries every single time we change her diaper. We got a diaper wipe warmer which helped a little bit. Any one has a solution?

Thanks very much!!

Momof3Labs
03-25-2004, 05:24 PM
That's pretty common for a newborn! Think about everything she has been through lately (only a week ago, she was tucked away nice and warm in your belly), and having to be stripped down every hour or two has to be tough on her!

Try changing her in a very warm room, even keeping her covered with a warm little blanket as much as possible during the change. And have the diaper open and ready to go when you start to undress her. Also, you shouldn't have to use wipes for every change, only poops. Easy-access clothing might help - no snaps or multiple layers, stick with gowns or sleepers with zippers to speed things up.

But, honestly, all newborns do this - and as soon as you think you have it figured out, she will change the rules! Colin hated diaper changes as a newborn but came to love them, then hated them, then loved them, then hated them, and so on - now he's back to enjoying them.

Congrats on your new baby!!!

KGoes
03-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Babies are programmed to cry when they get cold, so perhaps it's the draft that bothers her? I second Lori's advice to have a receiving blanket handy to drape over her. One trick that helped us was a mobile over the changing table - nothing fancy, just one I made of butterflies out of bright, sparkly paper hung on an embroidery hoop with lengths of ribbon - but it gave DD something to look at to take her mind off of her troubles.
Good luck and congratulations!
Kelley
DD born 7/03

jbowman
03-25-2004, 06:36 PM
You've received great advice so far. I would suggest, as Kelley did, that you attach a mobile to your changing table. This helped us enormously--in fact Ellie loves looking up at the mobile each time she's on the table! It is one of her favorite things!

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

mommyj_2
03-25-2004, 07:18 PM
I always sing to DS when he starts fussing during diaper changes. That wokred the best during the newborn phase. When your little one is a little older, you can also break out with a harmonica. I can only play one song, but it always distracts DS long enough for me to get his diaper on.

aguinn
03-25-2004, 08:29 PM
i totally second the singing! and it doesn't have to be anything special - we still sing "frere jacques", "row, row, row your boat" and "itsy bitsy spider" during diaper changes now that DS is almost 8 months!

good luck!
;)amy

molly
03-25-2004, 08:42 PM
When my son was a newborn and would cry during every diaper change, my husband suggested nursing him for just a few minutes before we changed him and this worked like a charm, then when we finished changing him, I'd finish the feeding. I also second the singing, etc. One of my friends said if she held the baby's hands and arms against her chest (the baby's chest), while hubby changed the diaper, that seemed to calm her baby. Good luck and congratulations!

Sarah1
03-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Audrey screamed every time we changed her diaper for the first 2-3 months. We did everything--wipe warmer, toys, etc and she still screamed. It was the only time she would do that! Fortunately, it passed and she is now very cooperative (most days :) ) on the changing table. I'd just give it some time and it'll pass!

CBB
03-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!