PDA

View Full Version : Starting to CRACK!

marinkitty
03-25-2004, 08:01 PM
So I posted yesterday afternoon about Mia's high fever (and got a couple of great responses - thanks again).

I took today off work and took her into the ped. Of course I'd given her Motrin at 10 a.m. and we went in at 11:45 so the fever was down a bit tho she was congested. She has been to the dr. so much lately and after the ER visit where they stuck her 3 times to get blood, then gave her an IV, then about 6 people poked and prodded her, understandably she now loses it when we see any medical person.

We ended up with a male dr. today which makes it that much worse as she has developed extreme anxiety around strange men. So she is literally falling to pieces just screaming, hypervenilating, gagging during the exam, then they want a urine sample and tell me we can attach an adhesive bag or do a catheter. I opt for the less invasive bag - just can't stand the thought of doing another painful scary procedure - she has already had GI tests, cat scan, helmet fittings, hospital visits and next week has to do the allergy testing, plus all the regular shots and I just can't bring myself to do it. So we do the bag. Put in on and wait and wait and wait. After 90 minutes of no peeing, we look and it has come unattached and she had peed a bit in the diaper. Great. So I give in and say do the catheter. While we are waiting for them to set it all up (and mind you the bag is now off so she is naked) she has a HUGE pee all over me and the table. At that point I said we were leaving b/c I just was not putting her through a catheter when they just emptied her bladder. All this for a 15% chance of a urinary tract infection. So they said to go home, withhold fever meds and see what happens with the fever.

At 5:15 I took her temp and it is 104.2 (it has been steadily rising all day). So I gave her Motrin. It is almost her bedtime and I can't see putting her down so hot and uncomforable as she won't be able to sleep and I know the fever responds to Motrin. She is just an absolute wreck. Her cheeks are bright red, eyes sunken, face puffy, lips actually look a bit blue, her hands are cool to the touch but the rest of her is burining up. It makes me want to sob.

DH has been in England since Sunday night, won't be back till mid-day Saturday. He was in Germany the whole week three weeks ago when she landed in the ER with the stomach bug that has been going around. Not that he could do anything differently, but it would be nice not to always cope with these crisis alone.

I'm about the crack from feeling so helpless and frustrated. I suspect we'll be heading to the dr. tomorrow again (after going through the whole wait till the call-in time from 9 to 10 a.m. to get an appointment) and have to do the catheter probably to find out there is nothing to be done - I JUST CAN'T STAND THIS! The one thing about motherhood that I have been TERRIBLE at dealing with since day one is the fact that I cannot control things and feel so inept! It seriously makes me nuts to make all these visits to the dr/hospital that majorly traumatize DD only to be no where and just have her as miserable but more upsset. How do you all cope with these types of feelings?????

OK - this belonged in the Bitching Post b/c I'm just ranting and I know there is nothing you can do but it helps to get it off my chest a bit before I head into the bedtime routine and the long night of worrying, obessively checking her, rocking her when she wakes up crying and burning up etc. Thanks for listening to me if you made it this far! ARGH!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

deborah_r
03-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Wow, that sounds horrible. Poor little thing! The blue lips worry me, although I have no idea what it means. I looked in Baby 411 to see if there is anything about blue lips and could not find anything. I hope she feels better soon!

juliekost
03-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to say hang in there...I know it is really hard to see your little one feeling so lousy.

Also, this fall-winter there has been a virus going around that causes high fever that may be slow to respond with motrine or tylenol. My daughter had it and had all the bloodwork done, urine samples and other test only to be told nothing found. It was viral and ran its course in less than 3 days she was her cute self. It was scary since Jordyn had never been that sick before and I had to give motrine and tylenol to get her fever down. Maybe it is the same viral infection?

I think the toughest thing for a Mom is to watch your little one feel sick and scared. Hopefully she will sleep well so you can get some rest...it has been an exhausting day for both of you.

Julie
Jake 11/9/98
Jordyn 12/31/02

Mom2Miri
03-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Oh! I feel for you! I don't have anything helpful on the fever but I know that "starting to crack" feeling. I've never had to deal with what you are going through. My only suggestion is to hang on, try to get through 15 minutes at a time and try taking 2 tylenol yourself. Last time I felt like that I didn't realize just how bad a headache I had.

Our thoughts are with you and Mia.
Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

ismommy
03-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Holly,

I am so sorry that Mia is sick and your DH is away. Is ther anyone that can come over and lend some comfort. Bella always seems to get sick when my DH is away and it makes it even harder. Vent here all you want. When Bella was sick last year we tried to hold off the catheter an dended up having to do it after ailing with the bag numerous times. It wasn't that bad all in all. One thing that might help Mia with her fear of docs is a medical kit. When Bella ended up in the hospital alst year one of the child support peole talked to me about medical play. We got Bella a doctor kit and she loves it and now has no fear of docs. she even hugs hers and watcheswhen they take blood. UGH! Anyway by playing with the things they use Mia might realize that its okay. alos we talk alot about how docs make us better.I wish I had suggestions to make Mia better but no experience with what you are desrribing.
I hope you oth get sleep tnite. Keep us posted.

Tondi G
03-25-2004, 09:27 PM
I am so sorry.... for you and for Mia! It's bad enough dealing with regular doctor visits.... my DS went through a long time of immediately crying the minute his ped walked through the door... it broke my heart!

I would honestly pass on the catheter.... can you put on your own bag at home maybe??? Or just go into the office and bag her then give her some juice or a bottle..... hopefully she'll go sooner than later. My sister had bladder infections as a child and still remembers how terrible it felt to have a catheter inserted.... I would avoid it if you can!

Keep up with the Motrin...a luke warm bath is always a good thing too! Cool liquids to drink and just keep her comfortable!!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes! You'll get through this!!!!!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

marinkitty
03-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your supportive replys. I had called the ped. again when we got the 104 temp. and the same dr. we saw earlier told us to come right back in, he wanted to do the catheter. So we ended up going and although she howled and it hated it, it was pretty quick and then she had a bottle which calmed her down again. The urine stick came back negative and we'll call tomorrow on the culture. In the meantime, Motrin and Tylenol and hopefully this will break soon.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and kind words!!! I feel a lot better now that we are back home and Mia is safely asleep in her crib.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Sweetie, I had no medical advice to give but just wanted you to know we are thinking about you!!!!
Our thoughts are with you and please keep us all updated!!!!
Hugs,
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties