PDA

View Full Version : For those who knew when you ovulated before becoming pg...

COElizabeth
03-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Did your provider base your EDD on that or on your LMP? Obviously, if you have a 28-day cycle and ovulate in the middle of it, the two dates would get you the same result, but I'm curious about those who might have very long or short cycles or different ovulation times. It seems like basing the EDD on the ovulation time (even if you know that only within 48 hours from an LH surge detection kit) would be more accurate than basing it on your LMP if you have a 35-day cycle, for example, but my impression and limited experience is that doctors don't do that.

And yes, I am asking for a reason! I am about 8.5-9.5 weeks along, but I'm waiting to get some clarification on the due date before adding to the calendar since it could be either October or November! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

jojo2324
03-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Whoo hooooooo! Congratulations Elizabeth!!! :)

I have no idea, BTW. But whoo hooing some more for you! :D

lisams
03-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Congratulations!! How exciting!!

I ovulated on about day 20, and had my temp chart to prove it. Still, my dr. went with my LMP. Then when I had the ultrasound and it showed she was the age my temp chart showed they switched it. Kind of annoying since I KNEW when she was conceived!

Here's to a healthy and happy pregnancy!!!!!!

Lisa

mamicka
03-27-2004, 02:03 PM
I ovulated on day 110 or 11, can't remember. Dr. still based due date on LMP. It did irritate me at the time but now I'm over it.

Congrats! & I'll throw in some more whoo hoos...

WHOO HOO!!!

sbjf
03-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Congrats!

From all I've read and heard most, if not all, providers date pregnancies by lmp for the duration of the pg.

Most pg books go by this method as well, so when a book or providers is talking about you being 9 weeks along that means 9 weeks GESTATION (from last lmp) which is the same as being 7 weeks OVULATORY AGE. But really providers and books go by gestational age as opposed to ovulatory. The Dr. Sears' books seem to be on of the only books that go by ovulatory age which really screwed me up when trying to figure out the book for some reason. Just because everyone else used gestational age.

cuca_
03-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Can't help with you question, but just wanted to say congratulations, and wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy!!

Carmen

Calmegja2
03-27-2004, 02:16 PM
My last two peris based my EDD on ultrasound confirmation, and when I told them I ovulated. I normally have very regular cycles, and I have mittelschmirz, so I am very clear on when ovulation occurs.

My first two providers used LMP dating, though.

Congratulations!!!!!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Man I predicted this in our thread on Robitussin and it's use to TTC...I said "are we going to have a baby boom here on the boards...and it sounds to me like a bunch of us got pregnant with that next cycle!!!!!
This is the most wonderful of news!!!!!!
I have yet to read others answers but I think it is "universal" to go by the LMP, I think they do it that way for some kind of consistency though I might be wrong...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

kristine_elen
03-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Congratulations!
I knew when I ovulated, but doc still went by LMP. (They were only a day or two apart.) I had a scheduled c-section due to baby's size, but actually started going into labor just hours before the c-section, and that was on the due date from my LMP.

houseof3boys
03-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Elizabeth I just wanted to congratulate you on the great news!!! Look forward to hearing more about it. :)

I think the answer is the date of LMP.

mamahill
03-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Congratulations Elizabeth - James will be a fantastic big brother. I don't know about calculating edd based on lmp/ovulation, but I believe that first u/s is pretty accurate when it comes to projecting edd. Good luck! Healthy pregnancy vibes your way...

bluej
03-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Congratulations Elizabeth!

All three of mine (different doctors) went with my LMP, even though I knew exactly when I ovulated with each of them.

brigmaman
03-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Lol, Neve! As the original poster on that thread, I'm so excited!!

brigmaman
03-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Congrats, Elizabeth!! We're very close! I don't have a due date yet, but at my u/s the tech said I was measuring for 6 weeks. That was about 2 weeks ago. I based my posted due date (in the due date board forum)on what I calculated on Babycenter.com. They allow for different cycles, but my OB never asked last time.

Karenn
03-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Congratulations! I'm very excited for you!

When I saw the doctor at my last visit I told her that I knew I had ovulated on day 18 or 19 rather than 14 and she adjusted my dates accordingly. (I still think the date she gave me is a little off though- so I'm wondering if maybe I gave her the wrong date originally.) She did tell me that she was going to calculate my due date from ovulation rather than LMP. I guess she's a little in the minority that way.

caleymama
03-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Just wanted to say that's wonderful news!

COElizabeth
03-27-2004, 04:19 PM
That's really interesting, Karen! I know of course that an EDD is only an estimate. It just bugs me to think that the "standard" seems to be to use LMP no matter what, even when the woman knows that her ovulation date was not on Day 14 (or 15 or 16 or 17).

If it's a normal pregnancy and the baby comes when the baby comes, then I guess it doesn't really matter, but with my first, I was induced early due to preeclampsia, and I know that the gestational age of the baby was at least considered when deciding when to induce. Having your EDD be a week off could mean the difference between a baby being premature or not, so you'd think the doctors would want to be as accurate as possible. I'd be happy to accept dating from an early ultrasound, but I don't think I will be receiving one until 20 weeks, and I don't think the age dating is as accurate then. Oh well. It will be interesting to see what the new OB says!

And thanks everyone for the congratulations! I go to the doctor on Wednesday and hope to hear the heartbeat!

mharling
03-27-2004, 04:19 PM
My dr used LMP and we knew exactly when ds was conceived. Even though ds was born one day after his due date, I still contend he was at least a week early!

And congrats!!!!! YIPPEE!!! :)

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

JLiebCamm
03-27-2004, 04:40 PM
That's awesome news!

jamsmu
03-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Yea Elizabeth!!! Congrats!

jbowman
03-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Congratulations!

My ob/gyn based my EDD on my LMP. My 28-day cycle was like clockwork. FWIW my daughter was born 8 days late!

flagger
03-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Congrats. Those little wheels that the nurses and the doctor's have (all provided by some drug company) are based on LMP.

The easiest way to figure due date based on LMP is always this formula.

LMP - 3 months + 7 days.

So if your LMP began on September 21 and you were pregnant, your due date would be June 28th.

Rachels
03-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Ovulation is the best predictor of due date. LMP just doesn't give an accurate date unless you have a 28 day cycle and ovulate on day 14. But FWIW, I told my midwife my due date, not the other way around. :)

The risk with using LMP is that if your dates are off, you may be subject to more interventions if your provider decides you've gone too long or are going too early. Knowing the date you conceived is the most accurate way to predict due date and to spare yourself unnecessary medical meddling.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
03-27-2004, 06:09 PM
I guess in the end that E in front of DD really is the most important thing to remember. :)

supersparkee
03-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Before I got pg, I had been charting for almost a year. We had a tough time TTC - it finally happened after having an HSG, right before we thought about trying Clomid with AI. That particular cycle, I ovulated on day 13 and surprisingly, my OB set my due date based on that date instead of the traditional day 14. Of course, I didn't actually deliver on that day - DD was 6 days early to my surprise.

Would you also believe that we only had one ultrasound the entire pg at week 18 and we had to PAY for it?!? The OB said it wasn't medically necessary (which surprised me because of my age - 32 at the time - and our difficulty TTC) so our insurance wouldn't cover it.

jk3
03-27-2004, 06:19 PM
He used the LMP but I am the textbook 28 day example....!

Congratulations!

lisams
03-27-2004, 06:19 PM
This is so true! I ovulated on day 20 a good week later than the "norm". SO when I went to my 20 week ultrasound the nurse was a little quiet and kept asking when my EDD was (which was based off of my LMP instead of my temp chart). She said "Well, the baby is smaller than she should be" and sounded kind of worried. I had to explain to her that my dr. was using my LMP to calculate my due date and that according to my temp chart, my little baby was measuring exactly where she should be!! What's sad is that if I hadn't known this, I probably would have been put through some stressfull, and possibly risky tests all for nothing. My dr. finally changed my due date when DD's measurements from the ultrasound matched up with the dates on my temp. chart. Kind of irritating that he didn't trust me in the first place.

Lisa

amp
03-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Congratulations, Elizabeth!

COElizabeth
03-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Yes, the potential for inaccuracy affecting my treatment and the health of the baby is my real concern here. I have no intention of letting labor be induced because the baby is "late," but with my history of preeclampsia my greater concern is an early delivery. I know that if I were to get really sick, at some point I'd be induced regardless of the gestational age, but the age is a factor, so I'd like it to be accurate.

And it's too late to keep the doctor in the dark, because I had to tell the date of my LMP when I scheduled the appointment. I half considered saying I didn't know, but I am too honest! :) I'll just have to see what she says. If she wants to keep the EDD based on my LMP but seems to understand my concern and promises to keep it in mind down the road if it becomes an issue, I guess I can live with that, but if she dismisses me outright I will be looking for a new OB. In my mind, though, I am sticking with November 1! :)

chrissyhowie
03-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Elizabeth,

I am so excited to see your happy news! Congratulations!! That cutie James is going to be a great big brother!!

Tradition holds that dating a pregnancy is done by LMP. You are totally correct though that it would be more accurate to date a pregnancy by ovulation if one has a significantly shorter or longer cycle than average. But even if one knows when ovulation occurred, when actual fertilization (since that can occur days after insemination has happened) and also implantation occurs can vary around that date. So bottom line is that an estimated due date is just that -- an estimate. An ultrasound done during the first trimester will be the most accurate time to date a pregnancy. The general rule of thumb is that if the EDD by ultrasound differs from the EDD by LMP by greater than one week, then the ultrasound date is used. Otherwise, the date based on LMP is usually kept.

If you have an especially short or long cycle and you know your day of ovulation, definitely tell your OB. He or she may decide to base your date on that instead. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if your OB stuck with an LMP based date!

Thinking happy and healthy thoughts for you :),

COElizabeth
03-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Oh my goodness, Chrissy! Who is that big girl? I can't believe how different Chloe looks! She's adorable!

Thanks for the answer. That's pretty much what my last OB said. As it turns out, I did have an early ultrasound (because of spotting), and the date it gave was only a day or so different from the LMP date. My cycle was shorter then, though (this time I got pregnant while still nursing, and my period was still rather erratic and on a longer cycle), so "my" date and the LMP-based date were only 3 or 4 days apart.

The last doctor did take my ovulation date into account in that she moved an appointment later so that if I did the triple screen test, it would be done during the appropriate window even if my due date was later than the LMP indicated. (Gosh what a run-on sentence!) I didn't end up doing the screen, but it did make me feel better that she took the ovulation date into account. :)

Calmegja2
03-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Elizabeth...

That was my peri's concern as well. We knew heading in that we were going to have to deliver as early as possible (36/37) weeks, so to avoid any possible problems, they wanted to know, as accurately as possible, when the baby was conceived, because it helped them to plan more carefully. I'm also at a high risk for IUGR, so having accurate dating is absolutely critical, and helps avoid unnecessary interventions.

I was really grateful to have such a fabulous doctor who was so concerned about not overdoing things. My pregnancies were complicated enough, and I was really happy to know that my dates (which were 6 days different than LMP data) were the ones we used for all calculations, and early ultrasounds confirmed it.

vikivoly
03-27-2004, 08:25 PM
CONGRATS!!!

My OB went with LMP. I ovulated on day 20 and despite early ultrasounds that supported that he still went with LMP. I was concerned because he ended up inducing me at 38 1/2 weeks and I again expressed that I didn't think I was as far along as their calculations he still went with LMP.

smilequeen
03-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My OB always uses that due date wheel, based on LMP. My cycles are 27-31 days, so it only made a difference by 2-3 days either way, so I didn't push it although I knew differently.

Momof3Labs
03-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Congrats, Elizabeth!! What a big group of Oct and Nov mommies we have!

JElaineB
03-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Congrats Elizabeth! Hope you have a very happy and healthy pregnancy!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

trumansmom
03-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Elizabeth!!! Congratulations!

I ovulated late with DS, and early this time. Both times my doc used my LMP to determine my EDD. Personally, I used my ovulation time and plugged it into Babycenter's calendar. But, for "public knowledge", I always use the latest date, and then fudge some more, because I hate dealing with, "Isn't that baby here yet?"

Good luck! I'm so happy for you!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

lizajane
03-28-2004, 04:52 PM
i haven't read other responses, so i may be reapeating (we need an abbreviation for that... how about HRR for haven't read responses!)

i have intense ovulation "symptoms" and my cramps were strongest on day 10 of my cycle. (10 days after beginning of LMP) i performed the required conception task (hee hee) on day 10 and schuyler arrived just shy of 40 weeks later!

my original due date was based on LMP, and was too late because i didn't ovulate on day 15, but day 10. my ultrasound due date was RIGHT ON-it was march 31. i counted exactly 40 weeks from the day i am sure i got pregnant (intimacy opportunites were rare, so it was 1 day or the next day...) and march 31 was RIGHT ON 40 weeks.

so long story short- LMP was off by 5 days0 april 5 (day 15 assumed ovulation) and ultrasound/counting from actual ovulation day was exactly right-march 31.

of course, schuyler arrived 8 days early. (at 22 inches tall, i think he just ran out of room and couldn't wait one more week!)

lukkykatt
03-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Congrats - what exciting news!!!

With my first son I was charting and knew exactly when I ovulated. My RE and then my OB both used LMP instead though - and considered my son born at 36 weeks (according to them) preterm. Even though I knew they were wrong - I ovulated early and had short cycles. But, they said "that is just the way it is done".

sugarsnappea
03-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Congratulations! Hope you have a wonderful and uneventful 9 months (or 7 mos)!

papal
03-29-2004, 04:04 PM
OMG! I really should click INTO a topic even if I don't know the answer to a question!

Congratulations Elizabeth!!!! Wishing you a happy, uneventful pregnancy!!!

sntm
03-29-2004, 04:14 PM
mine still used my LMP.

fwiw, i delivered on the day predicted by my ovulation date (from TCOYF), which was 3 days before my EDD by my LMP.

in my case, a later EDD was a good thing, as i was scheduled to be working in the hospital until 6/21.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

McQ
03-29-2004, 04:29 PM
First off, congratulations!!! This is really awesome news.

And secondly, now you have me wondering. I have no idea when I ovulated but my LMP was December 7th. So doing the math (and babycenter calculator) my EDD should be 9/12. But the "wheel" says 9/14. So I think I'm getting a day added for leap year and then I can't figure out what the other day is for. And with Declan being 5 weeks early I want every day to count. When I had my u/s they said I was 8.3 weeks per the u/s but 8.5 weeks per LMP. And my OB didn't adjust.

Congrats again!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

tinkerbell1217
03-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Mine took both into consideration and since I am very regular he gave me the earlier date! It was only different by two days though!

Kelly