PDA

View Full Version : Applesauce in cake to replace oil

jojo2324
03-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Do you replace the oil with the same amount of applesauce? Also, does it taste disgusting?

hobey
03-28-2004, 01:53 PM
It is a 1:1 substitution but I wouldn't get rid of all the oil. I'd keep some of the fat in to add more tenderness to the finished product. So I'd substitute up to 3/4 the amount max.

As far as tasting disgusting, it depends on what kind of cake you're making. Applesauce is really good in spice cakes, gingerbread, carrot cake. It does add a bit of tart background sweetness. I have used the pureed prune substitution (I was experimenting with a jar I picked up in the store) in chocolate cakes with no issues.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

Momof3Labs
03-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Yes, with the same amount of applesauce. No, it doesn't taste disgusting. We've even done it in brownies and no one is the wiser!

MelissaTC
03-28-2004, 02:52 PM
My Mom only makes cakes, brownies, etc.. this way. There is a VERY subtle difference in taste and texture...operative word here being sublte...you probably won't notice...

brubeck
03-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I've only done it with the cake/brownie mix recipes where it says you can do this on the box. It was a 1-1 ratio and I didn't notice any difference at all. In fact I was impressed how moist everything was!

jamsmu
03-28-2004, 07:00 PM
It'll just be more moist... I like it better this way!!

luvbeinmama
03-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Yes, the same amount, and it tastes great in cakes.

nathansmom
03-29-2004, 12:11 AM
I just add the same amount of applesauce as the recipe calls for in oil. I LOVE the taste and the cake is oh so moist. I'll never use oil again. I haven't had good luck though using applesauce in brownies but then again I have never made a batch of brownies that aren't overcooked or undercooked.

parkersmama
03-29-2004, 01:24 AM
I have also occasionally used an oil substitute. I believe the one I get is made by Smuckers and it's in the section of the grocery store with the oils. It is made from apples (I think) but has a more liquidy/oily texture like oils which makes some recipes smoother. I use applesauce in spice cakes, brownies, chocolate cakes...anything darker or with heavier texture. I use the oil sub in things that have a lighter texture or appearance...yellow cake, white cake, etc. HTH!

starrynight
03-29-2004, 01:34 AM
I have done it before dh swears he can tell the difference but I can't really. I think he just knows it's in there and that's why lol.