PDA

View Full Version : When do you stop counting baby's age in months?

papal
03-29-2004, 12:27 AM
We stopped counting Leela's age in weeks when she turned 10 weeks (we started saying 2 and a half months). Sometimes when i ask a mom how old their baby is, i get a response like 37 months. Why is this? Why can't it be 3 years? When do we start rounding off? Is there a reason for this madness? What happens to those of us that stop paying attention to the rest of the conversation because we are using our mommy-brains to do a quick diviston... 37 divide by 12 equals 3 leaving 1..ahhh.. she means 3 years... ok.. back to conversation at hand.
Just wondering!

redhookmom
03-29-2004, 12:50 AM
It all ends at 1 1/2 for me. In "real life" I will always say my DD is 1 1/2 until she is 2 and so on. My DS is 4 1/2 and will be until the day he turns 5. It really bothers me when my DH calls him 5. NOT YET!!

lukkykatt
03-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Personally, after 1 I start rounding off - 1, 1 1/2, etc. Months just get too complicated. I was at the grocery store and someone asked how many months DS was and I said what I thought was the answer. Then they asked when his birthday was, then told me I was WRONG, and I'm thinking "I'm trying to get food in the house, not enter a math contest!"

Anyway, I digress... I just can't keep up with the months (heck, half the time I don't even know the date) so I give it up ASAP.

papal
03-29-2004, 12:57 AM
LOL. I am totally like that. Even if there is ONE day left for my birthday, i don't change my age.. so i remain 29 till Dec 19th and then and then ONLY can anyone dare call me 30.

So it is days till 10 days.
It is weeks till 10weeks.
It is half months till 1 year.
It is half years till 10 years and then it becomes full years.

This is the plan. :)

Roleysmom
03-29-2004, 03:50 AM
Well, for me I stopped counting in weeks when she was 20 weeks old and have just started saying she's 2 years old at 26 months. I'd love to keep using months, I'm trying to hang onto my baby here even though she's now a full-fledged little girl, but I can't quickly add up how many months is 2 years plus 2 months so it's now years for me!

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

vikivoly
03-29-2004, 10:45 AM
DD is 16 months and I'll probably keep going by month until she's 2. Everyone knows instantly that 22 months is less than 2 years, but after that it does get into the "quick division".

brubeck
03-29-2004, 01:23 PM
The reason we use months is because it is a developmental thing. No one would expect an 18 month old and a 24 month old to be capable of the same things. I always thought that after age 2 though I would go to using years, but then there is a WORLD of difference between a 2 year old and a 3 year old. I think I actually dropped months after 30 months = 2.5 unless I'm in some developmental discussion (eg: on the Toddler Potty Board where a month makes a big difference). But if I'm just talking to someone I'll say that my daughter is 3 (not even 3 1/2 or such).

s_gosney
03-29-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm with you. I have a friend who says her baby is 17 weeks old...ugh. That is impossible to calculate with months being what 4.5 weeks each? Now that I type that out, it isn't so hard, but in conversation I think that months is much easier...until 18 or 24 months.
And lets not even get started on keeping track of pregnancy weeks/mos. :)

pamela mom of 3
03-29-2004, 03:02 PM
I stopped when they turned one..however sometimes you still get stuck counting it all out, are they one and a half or just one? yadda..yadda ;)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif