PDA

View Full Version : Looking for toddler-friendly activities in Boston area

22tango
03-29-2004, 04:46 PM
My DH will be at a conference in downtown Boston the first week of May, so Karenna and I will be joining him and trying to find fun things to do while he's busy and activities for the whole family once the conference ends! We'll be there about 5 days and I'm not certain if we'll be renting a car (is it even necessary??)

We'd appreciate any suggestions you may have!!:D

Rachels
03-29-2004, 05:34 PM
If you're staying right in the city, you won't need a car. Driving in the city is a headache if you don't know exactly where you're going, and it's unnecessary since there's great public transportation. Definitely go to the Children's Museum, which is great for toddlers, and the Public Garden, which is a wonderful place to wander and explore. The public library in the Back Bay is enormous and has a huge children's wing. You can get to all of these on the T or by walking. Hmm...I'll keep thinking and will let you know if I come up with anything else.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Rachels
03-29-2004, 05:34 PM
If you're staying right in the city, you won't need a car. Driving in the city is a headache if you don't know exactly where you're going, and it's unnecessary since there's great public transportation. Definitely go to the Children's Museum, which is great for toddlers, and the Public Garden, which is a wonderful place to wander and explore. The public library in the Back Bay is enormous and has a huge children's wing. You can get to all of these on the T or by walking. Hmm...I'll keep thinking and will let you know if I come up with anything else.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

hobey
03-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Rachel: Do you have any good local yarn shop/baby store recommendations that I can get to using the T. We'll be in the area in a few weeks and my girlfriend & I will probably shop while our hubbies soak in the Fenway atmosphere and/or pub crawl...

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

kfcboston
03-29-2004, 09:37 PM
I can help on the baby store front. The Red Wagon on Charles Street (take the red line to Charles/MGH) is very cute, although a little on the pricey side. Also a few other cute shops (like Black Ink and Flat of the Hill) and lots of antiques on Charles Street. Also check out the Women's Industrial Union on Boylston (take the green line to Boylston) - it has a lot of fun stuff plus a very cute baby section with Zutano, etc.). You could also check out the Shops at Copley Place as well as the Prudential Center (malls in the heart of Back Bay) to see what they have listed for baby stuff. I'm thinking Newbury street has a site too, although again - pricey.

Re: toddler activities, Rachel has great suggestions. I specifically love the Make Way for Ducklings site at the Charles/Beacon corner of the Garden - always tons of kids frolicking there when the weather's good.

HTH! Have fun!

Rachels
03-29-2004, 10:22 PM
You can take the T into Harvard Square. It's not a long ride at all, and Harvard Square is a mecca of yarn and baby stuff. There's a yarn shop on JFK Street called Woolcott which is small but great. There are several great kids' shops, too. Curious George (also on JFK)is a bookstore / toy store that's a don't-miss, and Calliope is a great baby boutique on Brattle. There are a million restaurants and things there, too, as well as a park. It would be a great place to go for the afternoon or something.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ColorBlue
03-30-2004, 10:42 PM
My husband took my two year old to the Aquarium and apparently she loved it. Its a wonderful place to see as an adult, I've been many times without children.

22tango
03-31-2004, 10:35 AM
THANKS!!! And I'm glad someone asked about shopping! I love going to yarn stores!! :D

I'm getting more and more excited. We'll be there over Mother's Day weekend and are staying right downtown at the Boston Park Plaza hotel. Looks like it's in walking distance of the Boston Common & Public Garden!!!

We'll be carless for the first 4 days while DH is attending the conference (at the hotel) so Karenna and I can just go walking & shopping & to the Children's Museum, etc.. Then we plan to have a car for the last 4 days so we can get out of the city a bit.

I'd REALLY love to take Karenna to a nice beach. Are there any that you would particularly recommend?? Or any other interesting daytrips?

Thank you for taking the time to give us your help/advice.

aliceinwonderland
03-31-2004, 11:15 AM
It's not a NICE beach, but in South Boston there is this loong walk around the bay that I used to do daily when I lived there...Not sure how you'd get there without a car...The bus does go there, it's just a little complicated. Would be happy to explain, though.
The beach is not nice, but the walk and fresh air is...You can see the (smogy) Boston skyline, it's pretty

Also, not neccesary kid-oriented, but my favorite area of Boston is the old Italin neighboorhood (the North End) Take the Green line to HayMarket. LOTS of pastry shops, even some Italian shoe stores (even for kids!). Try Hanover Street. I belive if you keep walking, you end up at the ocean, and there's a little park there. Not a beach, but still.

I second Rachel's suggestion for Harvard Square. Crowded, but NEVER a boring place. I live very close to it.

kfcboston
03-31-2004, 11:27 AM
Well, for a day trip I'll suggest Plymouth, although keep in mind it's likely an hour drive each way if you AVOID rush hour. But it has nice beaches, Plymouth Rock, the Mayflower, Plimoth Plantation (a living replica of an old pilgrim village), Ocean Spray world cranberry headquarters with a tour, etc. But since I have no experience with toddlers, I don't know how interesting PP or Ocean Spray would be.

You could also try any of the quaint New England coastal towns of the North Shore, like Rockport, Gloucester, Newburyport, Salem (if she likes witches!!) for beach and strolling around the shops.

rrosen
03-31-2004, 11:41 AM
I think Salem would be a great day trip.In addition to the Witch museum there is Salem Willows. A very old (and tiny) amusement park. Really old fashion, perfect for a small child
http://www.salemwillows.com/

And you can go on a duck tour
http://www.mobyduck.com/

I would then head to Essex to Woodman's for the best lobster and fried clams you will ever have. You get to pick which lobster you want, very entertaining for a child (even if they don't eat it)
http://www.woodmans.com/

Another great area to take a day trip is my neck of the woods;

Walden Pond is a nice little beach and great place to walk around
http://nanosft.com/walden/waldpond.html

And Concord is lovely. Great shopping too. Kussin's clothing store has beautiful things for children.
http://www.concordmachamber.org/retail.html

Then go to my favorite place Kimball Farm for tons of fun. Homemade ice-cream, putting green, bumper boats, petting zoo.
http://www.kimballfarm.com/

I could go on an on.
Massachusetts has so much to do!

Have a great time,
Rebecca
mom to Gabrielle 9/03

toomanystrollers
03-31-2004, 12:29 PM
Alice, let us know if you're interested in a mini BBB get-together :)
I can let all the New England BBB yahoo group members know.

Have fun,
Pam

aliceinwonderland
03-31-2004, 12:31 PM
ohh, how do I become a NE BBB member? No baby yet, but hopefuly in the next couple of weeks, LOL

toomanystrollers
03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Here's the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bbbmassachusettsgroup/?yguid=121531307

:)

toomanystrollers
03-31-2004, 02:20 PM
I just found out that a local gf will be acting in the "Momologues" which will be running during your trip to Boston.

Check out:

http://www.momologues.com/

And if anyone's interested, I'd love to go see the show with a bunch of BBB'ers :)

kfcboston
03-31-2004, 02:39 PM
Oooooooooo Pam, that sounds fabulous! Think it might be cheaper than $38 in Norwell? Could be a more intimate setting too.......

toomanystrollers
03-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Good thinking Katie!!! Only $22 at the Norwell Company Theatre - May 7,8,9 (Mother's Day Weekend). And I'm sure the tix will sell fast!

http://www.companytheatre.com/schedule.html

22tango
03-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Karena & I would *LOVE* to meet some Boston-area BBBers!! The best time for us would probably be during the days when DH is at his convention. We will basically be fending for ourselves even at dinner times (since dinners tend to be networking opportunities). So May 3-5th would be the best days to try to plan something! :D

22tango
03-31-2004, 03:36 PM
The MOMologues sounds HILARIOUS!! We are visiting relatives down in Warwick, RI on Saturday...and I'm not sure what our plans are for Mother's Day (probably a busy day for most people anyway.) So maybe Friday the 7th?? I'll run it by DH and he'll be able to watch Karenna so I could go!

Edited to add: Silly me, I was only looking at the Norwell dates. Unless I can carpool with someone, it may be harder for me to get to that location (not knowing the area well). But the Stuart Steet Playhouse should be no problem getting to via subway, either Thurs or Fri (or possibly(?) Wed) would work for me!!

toomanystrollers
03-31-2004, 04:45 PM
Ok, let me get some plans in action :) We'll get you to Norwell - the "T" Red line ends in Braintree - about 10 mins from Norwell.