PDA

View Full Version : Parenting Magazine choices???

writeleigh
03-30-2004, 10:29 AM
I'd like to subscribe to one of the parenting magazines out there, but am not sure which one. Do you subscribe to any? What are the differences? Which would you recommend?
Here's the three I'm considering, but feel free to list any others you like:
1. Child
2. Parents
3. Parenting

TIA
Leigh

C99
03-30-2004, 10:53 AM
I do not subscribe to any parenting magazines, and based on a lecture I went to recently by Susan Douglas (co-author of The Mommy Myth), I have no plans to subscribe to any. I'm already bombarded with messages about how to be the best mother; I don't need anything else to compound it.

COElizabeth
03-30-2004, 11:13 AM
I can't really tell the difference between Parents and Parenting. Child is generally considered a bit more upscale, but it's not all that different, either. I enjoy all of them, but to me they are all pretty much the same. They're sometimes interesting, sometimes helpful, and usually entertaining, but a lot of the information on research, health, etc. is oversimplified and not nearly as thorough as what I find just being here.

Brain, Child is one I really enjoy, and it's completely different from the others. It doesn't have any advice and has few ads. Instead it has essays and articles about the experience of being a mother, real debates about different parenting choices, etc. Some are funny, some are sad. I don't think any of the articles in Brain, Child sugarcoat the experience in the way Caroline means.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

writeleigh
03-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Sounds like an interesting lecture. I've read a bunch of the reality mothing literature: Misconceptions, The Mask of Motherhood, Dispatches From a Not So Perfect Universe, and Mother Shock. Mother Shock is especially good if you haven't read it.

Anyway, I also like the magazines for various features like toy/book reviews; activity and craft ideas, and articles about the latest child psych/developmental topics. Trust me, I'm definitely not reading with an eye for how to be a perfect mother. In fact, I always read or watch things with a questioning, social scientist gaze - sometimes I agree, sometimes I dismiss, and sometimes it just leads me to question.

I think it's possible to read or look at media images with a critical eye and still take or learn something from them.

Leigh

HoneymoonBaby
03-30-2004, 11:26 AM
I like Child for the shopping info. It's a bit more upscale than Parents or Parenting, and the stuff they feature is just nicer. The articles they have aren't that informative, though -- there's an awful lot of fluff, and much of it is geared toward older kids, which doesn't help me as the soon-to-be-parent of an infant. YMMV.

I like Parents for the adorable baby photos. Seriously. They have some great photographers on that staff. Other than the pictures, I really don't find the magazine all that useful, though. Every once in a while there's a good article, but the bulk of the magazine is kind of . . . shallow, I guess.

I have a subscription to Parenting, and find that magazine to be the most comprehensive and well-organized of the three, with detailed and informative articles and an index of topics arranged by your child's age. This is the only magazine I can't really read in one sitting -- there's just too much information. I learn A LOT from Parenting magazine each month.

Anyway . . . Parenting, IMO, is by far the best value of the "big three" parenting magazines. Lots of info, decent price.

jamsmu
03-30-2004, 11:33 AM
By far, I like Parenting best. As a PP said, it's comprehensive, informative, and well organized. I like that it covers all ages pretty evenly. I can see my subscription continuing for years.

As for Child Magazine, it is definitely upscale. Nice pictures, but I felt like the theme is "how you can spend the most on your child." Kind of like a Vogue Magazine for children. Its good to read in the Ped's office, but I don't subscribe.

And Parents is kind of blah for me... nothing special.

FWIW you'll get a free subscription to BabyTalk and American Baby when you have a baby adn fill out the cards. These mags are also free at BRU. One of them is published by the same company as Parenting. And you get 2 free issues of Parenting when you make your first purchase at Motherhood, Mimi or Pea in the Pod. That usually hooks you right in.

caleymama
03-30-2004, 11:49 AM
I have subscriptions to Parents, Family Fun, and Brain, Child. I really like Family Fun for the kinds of things you are looking for (mentioned in your second post). I didn't know anything about it before I started the subscription and I've been really impressed. Brain, Child is great for ME. Parents I could do without. It's not bad at all, but I usually "get around" to reading it at some point - I don't really look forward to it, kwim? I have read Parenting and I do enjoy that, just haven't gotten around to getting a subscription.

pamela mom of 3
03-30-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't subscribe too any well except one but it's not US based..however i do buy all 3 you listed.

I agree with the others that child is most upscale for pictures & items listed, it's where you'll see the 150$ dollar dress that is for sure ;)

The other 2 parents & parenting can somewhat look alike sometimes..actually sometimes they all look alike LOL but i do like the humor sections, the parent sent in articles, the car reviews, gear reviews..etc not into any of them for real hard core mommy advice just something light & fluffly but coming from being a parent standpoint kwim? i also actually like some of the ads, you learn about new videos coming out, products etc...

I know most will send you an issue to try out and then you can decide whether you want to continue with a Sub.

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

amp
03-30-2004, 12:05 PM
You'll probably get a lot of different answers on preference here. I prefer Parents and Parenting. I didn't like Child as much. I know lots of folks love it, but since I could hardly afford anything in there, it seemed a bit pretentious to me. I let that subscription run it's course. The other 2 I renewed.

redhookmom
03-30-2004, 12:10 PM
I subscribe to:

1. Child
2. Family Fun
3. Brain, Child
4. Pandora's Box
5. Mothering

I subscribe to Child and Family Fun for the reasons already mentioned. Child because of the "Vougue Factor" and Family Fun for good craft, activity ideas.

I subscribe to Brain,Child, Pandora's Box and Mothering to read. I absolutely cannot wait for these magazines to arrive!

writeleigh
03-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Hmm . . . Brain, Child looks excellent. I'll have to also check out Pandora's Box online to see what it's like. Right now, our budget can only allow for one subscription I think. Keep the replies coming - I find your insights interesting and helpful!
Leigh

pritchettzoo
03-30-2004, 12:30 PM
I subscribe to Parents and Child and tried to subscribe to Parenting and Family Fun, but the middleman lost my order or some such. I like Parenting and Family Fun best (of course!). I just started getting Brain, Child and it is fabulous, although I would consider it more of a lay journal if that makes any sense.

If you want to try all of them, there's a recent-ish thread in the Bargains forum that lists an ebay seller from whom you can order all of them for the price of one on one of the cards in the magazines.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

kristine_elen
03-30-2004, 12:58 PM
I get Parents but think it's pretty fluffy and I think a lot of their "articles" are really just advertisements. Thanks for reminding me to cancel. www.thinkingparent.com looks interesting; I just subscribed. Emailed version is $10/year for 12 "issues."

houseof3boys
03-30-2004, 01:09 PM
I get all three that you mentioned plus Family Fun and just started receiving Brain, Child. I am letting all of my subscriptions run out on Child, Parents and Parenting when they are up. I honestly trust these boards more for revies on products since you said you were interested in that. I enjoy Family Fun and will enjoy it so much more next year when he is old enough to do some of the activities and I'm in agreement with Anna on Brain, Child being more of a journal that I love to read!

If I had to choose from the three you mentioned, I choose Child though. I would definitely check out the freebie boards for magazines at much reduced rates or free too! Family Fun was one of my freebie ones and I'm so glad since I love it so much.

writeleigh
03-30-2004, 01:40 PM
I just double checked my babycenter plus membership, and it includes a free 1-year subscription to Parents or Child. I think I may select Child free for one year (then, if I like it, I can actually subcribe). In addition, I think I'll pay for a subscription to Brain, Child. I was thinking over your comments and, like you've pointed out, I tend to find out more about products and such from these boards and the other mothers I know.

Momof3Labs
03-30-2004, 02:20 PM
It hasn't been mentioned, but I really like Working Mother. It covers all age groups (of children) but usually has some good, down-to-earth articles. I also like Family Fun. Both of these were free two year subscriptions from a link on the Bargains board, though I would probably pay a reasonable price for either.

blnony
03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I still get Parenting and Parents and I didn't renew my Child subscription.
I find that there are a lot of good reviews, craft ideas and receipes in Parents and Parenting, and some of the stories are just funny and I enjoy reading about people who have gone through what I am; I just like being able to relate.

tinkerbell1217
03-30-2004, 03:02 PM
I always liked Parents magazine, but also LOVE American Baby too. Those are my choices!

Kelly

Torey
03-30-2004, 03:23 PM
If you check out currentcodes.com they have a code/link to a place called BestDealMagazines.com. You can get Family Fun, Parents, and Parenting for only $4.69 each (and an additional 12% off if you use the code PXBF41). They say Child is supposed to be that cheap also, but it looks like it is listed wrong on their website. Anyway, I bought a subscription to Parenting through BestDeals last year for less than $4. I thought maybe it was a scam, but I really did get the magazine for that cheap. So if anyone is looking for a cheap way to get lots of magazines - this is it! :)

AngelaS
03-30-2004, 05:01 PM
I like Parents the best of the three you listed. Parenting is way too liberal for me. I love Family Fun too.

JLiebCamm
03-30-2004, 05:25 PM
I get Child, Parents, Working Mother, and Brain, Child. Brain, Child is the most interesting of the bunch. I see the others as good mindless flip-through mags. I probably will only renew Brain, Child and Parents. The only reason I think Parents is a worthwihle choice is because it keeps me up to date on the latest toys/ equipment/etc with its numerous ads (including many ads that are disguised as articles!) and being the shopper that I am, I love to see what's new.