PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if my baby is growing enough.

Grace_underfire
03-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi,

My son was 9 lbs even when he was born. He gained weight constantly the first three months or so. He was 14 lbs at 2 months. At his four month appt he was 16 lbs. Now he is 5 1/2 months and he is only 16 1/2 according to our scale. He has been exclusively breastfeed and I have just a week ago or so to introduce some rice cereal but honestly he doesnt seem too interested.
I am concerned about his growth although I have to say that he did really grow a lot in height. He is in the 97% in height. At his second mo. check up he was 97 % weight and 70% height and at four months he is 97% height and 60% weight. I am thinking about going by the peds office tomorrow to weight him. Is this pattern normal. The doctor did say that breastfeed infants pack the pounds more at the beg and then slow down and gain in lenght but I am a tad concerned.

COElizabeth
03-30-2004, 03:52 PM
He'll be measured again at his 6- month appointment in just a few weeks, right? It doesn't sound like there is anything to worry about, as long as your son is happy and still wetting diapers regularly. My DS is much more on the other end of the charts, but he too packed on the weight early, jumping up in percentiles for weight and height for the first few months, and then he dropped back down again to the percentiles he started with. Now he is on a bit of an upswing again, but who knows what size he'll be 5 years from now. Also, my niece was huge and hit 20 pounds by 4 months, but she really slowed down later in her first year. Sometimes the pace of growth is just not sustainable! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

pritchettzoo
03-30-2004, 04:27 PM
If he's developing appropriately, I wouldn't worry. DD was 10 lbs, 1.3 oz at birth. She's 6 mos now and is 15 lbs, 4 oz. She's tall and thin (90% in height and 50% in weight). The doctor said she was doing great.

But if you're worried, that's what the doctor's office is for. Maybe there's a nurse line where you could speak to someone and assuage your concerns?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

trumansmom
03-30-2004, 05:36 PM
DS was very, very similar. He was 9lbs 2 oz at birth, 16 pounds at 4 months, and only 18 lbs at a year! He's now almost 2 1/2 and only weighs 28 pounds. So basically, he dropped from 95% in weight to between 15-20%. However, he's perfectly healthy. It scared me as well, but some kids just take a little while to find their particular curve on the growth charts.

I understand your concern, but if your gut and your doctor tell you he's healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!