PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated. Is this cold or aspiration? Long, sorry.

CBB
03-30-2004, 11:57 PM
My baby is 12days old. She's been coughing and sneezing a lot for the last 5days. Initially she would cough during or right after BF. Now she's been coughing awake and during sleep. Her cough also sounds more wet. She has a lot of nasal secretion sounds extremely congested. When she sneezes, the stuff that comes out looks clear, sometimes white almost looks like milk. We are worried that she maybe aspirating during BF or has a cold. She doesn't have fever and is eating okay and gaining weight. We took her to the clinic yesterday. The Ped said that her lungs sounded fine, it may be the normal newborn congestion, or reflux, or cold. But I thought newborns aren't suppose to get sick because of maternal antibodies through BF. We've been elevating her bed and giving her saline nasal drops. She's been coughing more today. She's more fussy at night. DH has been holding her while he slept the last three night which seems to help her breathing easier through her little nose. We have an apt Thursday. I was wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar with your newborn. It just breaks our hearts to see her so uncomfortable.

Thanks very much for any help!!

papal
03-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Oh Li, i am so sorry your baby is feeling congested. It is pretty common in newborns because their immune systems are so immature. Keeping her head elevated would help the fluid drain, saline drops and the suction-bulb will help suck the snot out. Do you have the heat on in your house? Is it dry? Do you have a humidifier? Sometimes running a hot shower and then taking the baby into the bathroom helps them.
I do think what you are experiencing is fairly common. Leela had a stuffy nose too. If your instincts tell you to go see the ped.. then do so. I remember in those early days how scared we were when our tiny baby spat up and stuff came out of her nose. I am sure other mommies will have some more advice for you. I am sure baby Jasmine will feel better soon. Hang in there mama!

CBB
03-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Thanks so much Rashmi!! We do have the heater on. We realized a few days ago that we didn't have the humidifier on. I know stuffy nose is normal for her age. But is coughing normal also? I'll definitely try the bathroom idea.

Thanks again Rashmi!!

friedmana1
03-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi! First of all, congrats on the new baby! Secondly, I just want to put in a plug for calling the ped. At the very least, to make yourself feel better most probably, just call him/her and explain what has been going on with your little one. Peds expect lots of calls from new mommies, as this the their first time as a parent. Never be embarassed to call your ped! If you call today, they might even want to see you a day earlier, if they deem it necessary.

Good luck!

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

Rachels
03-31-2004, 10:27 AM
Congrats on your new baby! I'd go ahead and call your regular ped today. My babe had reflux, and what you describe does sound familiar. In the meantime, go ahead and hold her while she sleeps or try letting her sleep in her carseat. Being upright will help her breathe and will keep her more comfortable.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sntm
03-31-2004, 02:15 PM
also keep in mind newborns are sniffly whether they are sick or not
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

papal
03-31-2004, 02:32 PM
Do keep your humidifier on Li.. the dry heat does not agree with small babies.
Yes, a cough is pretty normal too from what i know.. she is just trying to clear the mucus. And since the ped heard her lungs and they are clear, I would not worry too much.
As Rachel said, if the milk is coming out thru her nose or mouth a lot.. she may have reflux. Does she hiccup a lot during the day? When you are nursing her, does she seem to be gagging/choking (could be an overactive letdown), does she arch her back as if she is in pain? These are some signs of reflux. Do ask your ped to check it out. As someone else said, they expect calls from new parents all the time so don't be shy about calling them!!! Keep us updated on how Jasmine is doing!

CBB
03-31-2004, 04:31 PM
When we took DD to Peds 2 days ago, she did mention possible reflux as a cause. But she said that the fact DD has been gaining adequate amount of weight (10oz in 10days) indicate that her problem isn't serious. She coughs a lot during BF. Rashmi, what you described does sound like DD. She would stop sucking, arch her back and bear down, then cough. But she wouldn't give up the nipple, would first cough with the nipple still in her mouth, then cough the nipple up. The problem is she still coughs when she's held upright during sleep, it is less though. We have an apt with peds tomorrow, will hopefully find out more.

Thanks everyone for your help!!