PDA

View Full Version : Why are babies so facinated with mouths?

farsk
03-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Hello Everyone!

Ellen's favorite place for her hands is in my mouth, up my nose, pulling my hair....you get the picture. Why does she do this? I have seen all kinds of babies who put their sweet little hands in the mouths of her parents, etc.

She especially does this when she's about to fall asleep. If I shut my mouth really tight, she gets REALLY mad.

Anyway, I just think it's funny and was wondering why she did this!

Thanks!

sntm
03-31-2004, 02:11 PM
i don't know, but i was thinking jack's considering becoming a dentist as he loves to explore the shape of my teeth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

deborah_r
03-31-2004, 06:08 PM
DH was just asking Kai last night if he was going to be a dentist?!?

That "Sleep Lady" article in the March issue of Parenting referred to this habit, especially while nursing, and suggested to introduce a lovey at those times for baby to touch instead of touching mommy's face and mouth and nose, etc. I've been trying it the last 2 days, not much success so far, but we'll see. I would like to stop this habit, because it's kind of cute now, but will probably be very irritating in a few months!

He also "fed" me for the first time yesterday and his eyes lit up and he thought it was so funny! He tried to feed me his frozen waffle that he had been sucking on and squishing around in his hands this morning, and I only PRETENDED to eat that!