PDA

View Full Version : help choosing a bottle of wine

HGraceMom
03-31-2004, 01:40 PM
We're having company Friday - I can't make it to my cousin's baby shower, and would like to give her our gift in person instead of shipping... There will be 8 of us meeting here & then going to dinner. She's the only pg... so I'd like to have a bottle or two of wine on hand before we walk to town for dinner -

Does anyone have any recommendations for good bottles of red or white wine? I'd prefer them to be in the $10 range - we've had some good luck with Mondavi, but I'd like something different this week. It's been so long since we've entertained, I just can't remember which wines I like the best!

josephmama
03-31-2004, 02:48 PM
I'm not a wine expert by any means, but I suggest Kendall Jackson Chardonnay if you can find it for less $$ at a Food Lion or something like that maybe around $11 or 12. I also love Italian wines and my favorite chianti is Castello D'Albola (spelling?)- I think it's around $14. Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio is less than $10 and I like that, too. There's lots of good Shiraz, too- can't remember the brands though that I like.

caleymama
03-31-2004, 03:00 PM
Not a wine expert either, but ...

In the $10 range I also like the Kendall Jackson Chardonnay.

I also have liked all of the Rosemount Estate wines we've tried. Their Traminer Reisling is one of my favorite wines. DH likes their Shiraz Cabernet and their Shiraz. I'm almost certain we've tried and liked their Chardonnay as well.

I recently had some Yellow Tail Chardonnay and thought it was pretty good. I'm pretty sure it's inexpensive.

Enjoy your evening!

dotgirl
03-31-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm not terribly fond of any chardonnay (too oaky tasting), but the Kendall-Jackson isn't bad.

If you want to give something more unusual, as your grocer if the wine department stocks any Riesling Kabinets (or Kabinet Rieslings). Note - this is a white wine, sweetish and sort of dry - not a Cabernet, which some people will think you're saying. It's a german wine, made with the Riesling grape. Everyone I've ever given it to has loved it.

emilyr
03-31-2004, 03:30 PM
I have a whole list of wines in that price range that we like but I'm not sure where it is. We usually do a twice-a-year stock up from a party store in L'ville.

I think I can remember a few and we like the Mondavi too so they may be similar.

Merlot/Shiraz
Yellow Tail has become one of our new favorites.
Calloway Vinyards (yes, like the golf clubs---it is a So Cal winery we like to visit.)
Santa Rita 120
Bolla (there is something else to the name I think but don't remember)

Chardonnay
Columbia Crest
Calloway Vinyards

notice we don't drink a lot of whites, mostly reds. I wish I could find my list b/c there are many more. Also, I think there was a recent thread about wine to serve at a dinner party. It was sometime during the last couple of weeks.

HTH I am so looking forward to drinking a good glass of wine again --and plan on doing so SOON!

Emily