PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bargains: Have you ever figured out what you really spent?

khakismom
03-31-2004, 02:49 PM
DH just sent me a spreadsheet totaling what I have spent the past three months on kids stuff--toys, clothes, dipe bags, etc. All I can say is WOW! I am absolutely stunned (and a little mortified) at how much money I have plunked down since January.

My biggest offender? Hanna Andersson, far and away. A distant second and third is BabyGap Outlet and Ella Bags. Next is Zany Brainy (fdarn their going out of business), Gymbo, and TCP. All I can say is thank God I'm not buying strollers any more too!

The thing is that we were really trying hard to stick to a budget--how did I get so far off track? I mean, I'm like a train wreck with my debit/credit cards. (Thankfully, hubby didn't count BRU and Target--only because he couldn't extrapolate what was necessity and what was me shopping like a lunatic.)

Has anybody else really figured it out and added it all up? Were you shocked too? And does anyone have any brilliant ideas of how I could work on limiting this (short of not reading the Reality layette forum ;))?

papal
03-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Maureen, I do not dare run the feature in Quicken that lets you add up all expenditures under a certain category. The category being BABY.

Want to buddy together to prevent ALL baby purchases, including sales and discounts at Hanna, for the month of April???? I need someone to hit my hand before i press that PURCHASE button!

Also, i feel Reality Layette should now be renamed to something else. 'Reality'... muhahahahahha....more like Frivolity Layette!!!

McQ
03-31-2004, 02:56 PM
I have the baby expenses categorized in MS Money. It's like the sun, you're not supposed to look directly at it.

And no suggestions on how to curb it. This place costs me more money than I'd like to admit, however it does offer many opportunities to save and get in on deals. It's just that one out weighs the other.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

Chelsey333
03-31-2004, 03:00 PM
I recently started tracking just our normal expenses and was horrified. Then dh started tracking every dollar we spend on other stuff, like Target, Walmart, eating out, etc. I was horrified at how much that was adding up too! I have been spending a lot too, and need to cut back. These boards have definitely inspired me to spend more though. Now my new love is diaper bags, before these boards, I had 1 diaper bag for 2 years and was happy! Now I have bought 1 expensive one and have another expensive one on the way.

JenCA
03-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Maureen, we have also started keeping track of our expenditures (in MS Money), and I was also shocked at how much I've spent since the beginning of the year (cursed Hanna! cursed Gymbo!--and DH was downright appalled. I have to admit that what I've spent on clothing for Julia so far this year is just ridiculous. I mean, how many outfits does an almost 8-month-old need? ;) So, for the first time in four years of marriage, we've instituted a "budget". DH and I are each allowed $x per week to spend on lunch and anything else we want to buy (Starbucks, books, BABY CLOTHES--you get the picture). It has definitely helped put the brakes on my rampant baby clothing obsession, and really made me be more thoughtful about spending in general. Other than our house and cars, we don't have any other debt (we never carry a balance on our CCs), but our goal is to save as much as possible so that we can build a nice fund for Julia's college tuition. The good thing about this budget arrangement is that I can still buy the things that I want--I just have to save for them now (gee! what a novel concept, LOL).

cchavez
03-31-2004, 04:46 PM
DH and I have always followed a budget even when I was working. We like to have nice things and we don't lack for anything...neither does Diego but the budget keeps us in check. Plus, b/c of this Diego's college fund (if he decides to go to our alma mater :) ) is already taken care of. By sticking to our budget I feel that I am still contributing to our finances even though I am not working. I love these boards and have made many wonderful purchases b/c of them but I could also see myself becoming a stroller or diaper bag fiend b/c of these boards too. :)

mamahill
03-31-2004, 05:08 PM
>It's like
>the sun, you're not supposed to look directly at it.

Perfect! LOL. I agree - I know I've saved some on some things, but I know it has been "invested" in other fine-quality baby items (she says, very convincingly). This is definitely a "don't ask, don't tell" situation!

marinkitty
03-31-2004, 05:18 PM
GASP! Maureen - seriously, just the thought of my DH handing me such a sheet made me hyperventilate! I cannot tell you how glad I am that we have been lazy about putting things in Quicken the past few months. I just do not want to know the damage. I have to get under control too - I cannot believe how many baby items I've been justifying lately!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

lag555
03-31-2004, 05:40 PM
I never actually sat down and added everything up, but I know that one month I was stocking up on clothing for next year (it was when all the winter stuff was on clearance) and I was absolutely shocked when I got my credit card bill. It was especially upsetting because I thought I was being so thrifty by buying everything on sale. (Of course, in the long run it might have been thrifty, but I was still really upset when I got that bill.)

As for limiting purchases, I try to do it by number of outfits as opposed to a dollar amount. I figure out how often I want to do laundry, and then figure out how many outfits we'll need for that amount of time.

khakismom
03-31-2004, 06:15 PM
Jen, our budget is similar, but yet somehow I've wrangled around it by justifying certain purchases. I get an "allowance" each week and, in addition, a monthly budget too for myself and anything the kids need. And I was very thoughtful too about my spending in the beginning. But then, a 20% code for a certain clothing manufacturer appears and I tell myself that I'm saving because I'm getting it on sale... yeah right! I need to tell myself "sale, schmale," do I have the money now for it? If the answer is no, then I can live without it.

I think it's so hard lately because we have really started saving HARD and pushing the $$$ into the kids' 529s. We're lucky in that we have minimal CC debts (we pay it off each month if we use it and most months we don't use it) and no car payments. But I just need to tighten the purse strings before I drive us off a cliff.
AAAAAAAaaaaaaa..... (splat!) :o

C99
03-31-2004, 11:27 PM
Maureen,

This is why I don't read the Reality Layette forum very often! I've actually cut back on spending for Nathaniel in the past 3 months (although I have bought a bunch of birthday presents for other friends), but I know sometimes that reading the boards here makes me spend (or want to spend) more money than I would have had I just read the book and was done with it!

sweetbasil
04-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Caroline and I were just talking about this when she and Nate were in town visiting...then we pull up to the Livestock show and rodeo, and out come my Mac Quest stroller, Zolowear sling, and Ella bag. Gulp- I can't call myself a victim of the boards, but am definitely a sucker for a "deal."

As for me and my house ;), this has got to stop. I'm seriously going to cut back this month. Don't get me wrong- I love the stroller, sling, and bag, but I can see how addicting this can all be (and that I'm easily getting sucked into the buying frenzies). When I clicked on a link to the Janie and Jack sale yesterday just to see what they had, and checked out Tuesday Bear's weekly stocking the day before, I realized I wasn't buying out of necessity and need to stop visiting the Reality Layette- and maybe even, gasp-sniff, the Baby Butts forums for a bit.

jd11365
04-01-2004, 06:47 AM
Going broke saving money is what my friend's dad call it...
I love these boards, but I swear I've spent twice the money (at least) as I probably would if I never knew about them. The layette section is definitely my downfall...and the stroller section...and carseats...diaper bags...slings...around the house...bargain alert...baby proofing... All danger zones to our wallet...nothing is safe! ;) Off to the bitching section where it's safe. ;)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

american_mama
04-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi, I posted a question about this a few week's ago called "expenditures baby's first year" in either the Lounge of Baby Bargains or Toddler Bargains. I am immune to nursery and clothing enticements, but my downfall is strollers. I agree with others, hearing all the strong opinions and satisfied customers for upper end gear on these boards makes you definitely want more and often spend more.

Now, if any of you dare to post what you have spent for baby's first year, or a portion therefor, I am still collecting data on that topic!