PDA

View Full Version : Abdominal excercises when 1st pregnant?

shall85296
03-31-2004, 08:46 PM
Has anyone heard that you are not supposed to do abdominal excercises in your 1st trimester (after that I know it's not really practical.)?
During my last pregnancy I did pilates up until about 12 weeks, but I just had someone tell me that it was really bad for you?????
I am going to call my doc tomorrow, but I know I can always get a quick answer here.
Thanks,
Stacy

redhookmom
03-31-2004, 09:10 PM
This is what it says on the exercise info sheet my midwife provided:

"Approx 30% of women will experience a separation of the rectus abdominus during pregnancy. If this does occur, abdominal exercises should cease. Even if it is not a problem, it is recommended that you support your abdominal muscles by crossing your hands over the abdominal area when doing any crunch type movements. Be sure not to do full sit-ups at any time. If choosing to abdominal exercises when pregnant, the separation of abdominal muscles should be regularly checked by the Health Provider."

Let us know what your doc says.

mamahill
03-31-2004, 10:30 PM
I think in the first trimester it's ok since your stomach isn't really big enough to cause the separation that Jessica described. I think as long as it isn't straining or hurting anything you're fine. But what do I know? I hear the "pooch" happens earlier with subsequent pregnancies. I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says.

Momof3Labs
03-31-2004, 11:45 PM
I took prenatal aerobics with a physical therapist when pregnant with Colin, and they allowed us to do abdominal exercises as long as we didn't have a diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles). They showed us how to check for it, too. I developed one around 6-7 months pregnant so had to start watching myself - but by then I was so frickin' uncomfortable in the groin area that I wasn't up to doing much of anything!

mteve
04-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Stacy-

First of all, I would ask your OB or midwife what their opinion is.

That said, I did Pilates for nearly 2 years prior to becoming pregnant. My OB said that I could continue any exercise that I had already been doing, including Pilates, as long as I kept my heart rate low, didn't overtire myself, and was careful to limit myself to exercises that did not strain joints or were painful. I am due May 13, 2004 and I still go to Pilates two times a week, and have gone throughout my pregnancy. I have significantly modified my workout and cut out several exercises, but still get in an hourlong workout that leaves me feeling pretty good.(I have had a difficult time walking since hitting the third trimester- my pubic symphisis is spreading and my pelvis aches after about 10 minutes of very slow walking). During the time I have been at the Pilates studio, four of the Pilates instructors have had babies and they all worked out up to the time of delivery without complications. There have also been a number of clients who have worked out up to the births of their babies. The only person I know of who had any complication was a woman who worked out too vigorously *after* the birth of her baby and she ended up straining a shoulder.

Please let me emphasize that I go to a Pilates specific studio and workout under the supervision of certified Pilates instructors. They are well versed in working with pregnant women. They would *not* teach a person new to Pilates if the patient was also newly pregnant. I would not recommend continuing with Pilates if you have not already been doing it for several months. I would also discourage you from continuing if you've been solely using a video or DVD for your Pilates workouts. If you've never had a workout with a Pilates instructor, I think it's difficult to know exactly what some of the exercises should feel like, as well as knowing the proper technique.

shall85296
04-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all of your responses.

The OB said as long as it was not something new that I was just introducing into my workout that it was fine.
I would love to be able to workout one on one w/ a Pilates instructor, in a Pilates studio - but oh it is so pricy!
That said, I will let my instructor - who I think is incredible - know that I am prego, and continue until it becomes uncomfortable to do the regular routines.
stacy