PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have food poisoning during early pregnancy?

COElizabeth
04-01-2004, 11:44 AM
After seeing our baby on the early ultrasound yesterday, we celebrated with takeout (shrimp tempura, crab cheese wontons, and California rolls). I thought all this was safe enough since cooked, but last night I woke up feeling hot, sweaty, and nauseated. I never vomited, but I had pretty severe diarrhea. I called the OB this AM, and she said there's really nothing they can do as long as I stay hydrated, but she wasn't overly reassuring, and I am so worried and looking for any reassurance!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

ethansmom
04-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I had the Norwalk virus and food poisoning - vomitting with both. I made sure to stay hydrated and all was fine. Hope you feel better soon!

khakismom
04-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Elizabeth, I had wicked nasty food poisoning (at least I think it was FP, DH thinks it was PG related) when I was like a week or 2 PG with Kathleen. Threw up after the rehearsal dinner during my best friend's wedding, and all before the ceremony. I remember standing in the shower going from hot to extreme chills, shaking, with DH telling me he didn't think I should attend. Yeah, right. I'm the maid of honor. I stopped puking after our hair was done (I had to stop the hairdresser at one point so I could go throw up), but I was queasy for a few days.

Also, I don't think I have told you this yet, but congratulations!!! So excited for you and for James to be a big brother!! :)

Grace_underfire
04-01-2004, 12:12 PM
My MIL cooked some nasty chicken, once during my first trimester while pg with my son... she cooked it badly...after it sat in her counter all day defrosting, although I did not know this at the time!! (SAFE FOOD HANDLING FOR YOU! eh?) Anyway the whole family got sick... I got the worst of it thowing up several times with blood even... I was scared to death but my doctor was only concerned about me staying hydrated. They said that unless you get an infection in your blood which would make you sooooooooooooooo soooo sick you would end up in the hospital... gastro type sicknesses do not reach the fetus. Since then though... I rather not eat my MILs food! The funny part is that she called my husband telling him that she sure hoped that I did not think I got sick from her food... hmmmm???? THE WHOLE FAMILY DID!

I was very very worried but my baby is perfect! COngratulations!!

barbarhow
04-01-2004, 12:15 PM
I had it twice. Both times with shrimp from the Thai restaurant. You'd think I would learn, huh? I just stayed hydrated as best I could and it passed. No harm to the little one.
Take it easy for a day or two. Lots of chicken soup and gingerale and you'll feel better in no time. Take care.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

COElizabeth
04-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Thank you! I really appreciate your sharing your experiences. I feel better - still a bit nervous, but definitely better! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02