PDA

View Full Version : Hospital gift for man (ie NO FLOWERS)

deborah_r
04-01-2004, 06:06 PM
A friend/co-worker of mine has just had a series of surgeries to remove tumors. It is his second major battle with cancer. I would like to send or bring a gift of some sort (maybe something a few of my other co-workers can go in on), but I know he wouldn't want flowers. I'm not sure if he's up to eating a whole lot either - I thought of a cookie basket or something.

Any ideas?

Lucia
04-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Maybe books, magazines, or CDs that would make his hospital stay and recovery time more enjoyable. Do you know if he has any special interests/hobbies? Perhaps something along those lines. It is hard to shop for men isn't it?! Good luck and I hope all goes well with his treatment.

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

lmariana
04-01-2004, 06:26 PM
If my husband was in the hospital he'd want a Gameboy or a PlayStation 2. :) Maybe a DVD player with some movies?

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

JLiebCamm
04-01-2004, 09:45 PM
I work in a hospital so I get a chance to see some fun gifts that visitors bring. Some good ones are:

-Those little handheld electronic games like Yahtzee
-Fun books, like the Far Side or the Darwin Awards
-Baskets with pampering toiletries for a man
(You know how unappealing hospital brands are).
-Framed pictures of co-workers acting like goofballs

Food is ALWAYS a good option because even if he has the slightest appetite it will be more appealing than hospital food. Instead of cookies, maybe go for little packaged snacks that won't go stale. Mints and gum are always great.

kijip
04-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Why not a plant? Or the toiletries, gum, food.

jubilee
04-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Maybe food, but it depends on the type of cancer he has and if he has diet restrictions. (My MIL had throat cancer, and as you can imagine could have VERY little food.) But, I would pick something that would keep for a while, not perishable. Mixed nuts, dried fruit tray. Trader Joes often has great items.

Also, if he is a reader- maybe a book. Dave Barry and others are good for a chuckle. Maybe workplace humor?

Jen in Chicago
04-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Why don't you grab a hand full of magazines and goodies from the check out of the grocery. Everything from People and Us to the National Inquirer. I received a bag of these after surgery and they were entertaining, and good conversations pieces for visitors.

cchavez
04-02-2004, 11:50 AM
A gift certificate to blockbuster??? And maybe add a gc for takeout??? He probably won't feel like going out to dinner after he is out of the hospital so then he and his family can stay in and eat dinner and watch a movie one nite.....

deborah_r
04-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. He loves movies, and his wife told me he has a portable DVD player in the hospital, so I'm going to buy him a DVD, and go visit.

This might get lost in this thread, but I'll try here anyway. He's in a hospital that only has cancer patients. Do you think it's OK to bring my son with me to visit? Kai does not seem to be sick at all, and I don't see that he would be in great danger of picking up something there. My friend is in good spirits and I do not think he would find the baby's presence annoying or anything.

Lucia
04-02-2004, 06:48 PM
You might want to check with your friend to see if he's up for the visit, but also to make sure the hospital allows young children on the floor. It would be difficult if you showed up and the hospital did not allow children in his room or on his floor (I think most hospitals have some sort of age limits if the child is not a family member). Check it out before going. Again, hope all goes well with your friend's treatment and recovery.

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

JLiebCamm
04-02-2004, 09:52 PM
It really depends on the hospital and how strict they are. At my hospital I've seen toddlers running around on the ICU (not exactly a good idea...) and nursing doesn't say a word. But I'm from a smaller town and things are pretty laid back here. As for your friend, I can't imagine that seeing your son could do anything but brighten his spirits.

deborah_r
04-02-2004, 11:59 PM
>Again, hope all goes well with your friend's treatment and
>recovery.
>

Thank you! He's an incredibly strong person, just amazing. He has already lost a leg to cancer. I met him after he lost his leg, and it never occurred to me he would have more problems. I guess I just thought, my goodness, how much more should one person have to deal with? He is pretty low key, not a jolly person, with kind of a dark, dry sense of humor, but he doesn't let this stuff overwhelm him, even though he is and probably will be in a great deal of pain every day for the rest of his life. I am amazed at his resilience!