PDA

View Full Version : My poor little bugaboo just got out of the hospital

barbarhow
04-03-2004, 05:11 PM
So we have been battling this stomach virus since Tuesday-trying to keep him hydrated amidst vomiting and diarrhea. Yesterday he stopped breastfeeding and taking the pedialyte. When I looked at him yesterday morning it was like his face was too small for his head. He looked so sad and so sick. Nothing I could do would make him feel better. I called the doctor and went in realizing that we would probably be sent to the ER for IV fluids. They admitted us. I was so stunned. As a former ER nurse I feel like I am always treading this fine line between over and underreacting. I try to be so careful about being a Mom first. He was so dehydrated that it took 12 hours of IV fluid before he peed. I was pretty freaked out last night. Had pretty horrible scenarios going through my mind. Finally at 2:30am he peed.
We are home now and he is napping. He is so much better-smiling and playful but not alot of energy reserves. Still with his heplock in so we can go back tomorrow for another dose of IV antibiotics for his ears. I just want him to be healthy again soon. He is so tiny to begin with-he lost half a pound-that's alot for a boy who only weighs 18 lbs to begin with.
So if anyone has any extra prayers or healthy wishes laying around please send them our way. Thanks.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

slknight
04-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Oh, Barbara, the poor little guy! I feel so bad for you and Jack. You all have certainly been through the wringer this winter. A few weeks ago, Alex was having more ear problems and refused to nurse. They were threatening to send us to the ER, but we narrowly avoided it. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Hope he's feeling better soon. Maybe once (if) spring ever decides to get here, we can all get togehter.

(((Hugs))),
Susan

COElizabeth
04-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Barbara,

I'm sorry! Not a fun way to start his second year, huh? It sounds like the recovery has begun, though, and I hope that Jack bounces back quickly and can soon return to the important business of being a 1-year-old!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

redhookmom
04-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Barbara,

I am happy that Jack is feeling better. All extra wishes laying around here have been sent your way.

Torey
04-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Poor Jack! I hope he is feeling better soon. We will certainly send prayers your way. :)

ktdid74
04-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh Barbara- I'm so sorry to hear about Jack! I'm sending hugs and wishes for a healthy, happy Jack. If you need ANYTHING let me know! The little guy has been through so much. We're so lucky they're resilient (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). Take care and hopefully you'll get some rest tonight. We're saying a prayer for you!

McQ
04-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Oh Barbara! I'm so sorry to hear that Jack is still sick. But so glad he's on the road to getting better. He'll be back to his old self in no time. And don't doubt yourself. You're a great Mom!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

stella
04-03-2004, 10:01 PM
So sorry - I hope he's feeling better soon!

peanut4us
04-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Barbara, honey, I can't believe that. I am so sorry he's been that sick. I will say a prayer for little Jack tonight. I hope he gets back to himself soon.

jojo2324
04-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Oh Barbara!! Here's to Jack feeling better fast!!

houseof3boys
04-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Oh Barbara, I am so sorry. I can only imagine how awful this week has been for you guys. I am so glad he is feeling better now.

Ryan and I are both sending lots of happy and healthy vibes your way. We are also sending lots of calories your way for Jack when he is feeling better! I know you are stressed about it, but don't worry.....he'll gain it back. :)

jd11365
04-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Poor little guy. :( Kayla and I are sending lots of healthy wishes to Jack and we hope he is back to his happy healthy self soon!

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

jamsmu
04-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Barbara,

I'm just so glad to hear that you all took care of the problem and he is beginning to recover! Carson had the virus, too, and they were pretty close to admitting him, he lost 1 pound in a week. (and he's only 16-11, but still had fluids. I'm constantly checking his diaper, as he's still recovering.)

Being a parent to an amazing little guy is the scariest thing! But so rewarding.

Give yourself and Jack big hugs! Many wishes of good health going your way,

deborah_r
04-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Oh poor Jack! Sending healthy vibes out your way...I hope he is better soon!

partyof5
04-04-2004, 05:31 AM
I'm sending lots of get well wishes & vibes your way. I'm not a nurse but my mom was one so she instilled that "over and underreacting" personality into me big time, lol. My two youngest children came down with the same stomach virus so I know how you feel. I hope Jack will be better soon!

~Cindy mommy to...
Isabella (11/1999)
Sophia (10/2001)
Ethan (4/2003)

barbarhow
04-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Oh how nice it is to be home. That is medicine in and of itself. You guys are all so wonderful. Thank you. He is pretty much the same this morning. Quietly playful at times, fussy at others. He didn't pee or poop all night though. I talked to the doctor who told me to TRY NOT TO WORRY. TRY BEING THE OPERATIVE WORD. Ooops-Jack attacked the keyboard. Better go-more later
Barb ara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

ETA-We are headed back to the hospital today for his final dose of antibiotics. Hopefully he will continue to feel better. He just took a little white grape juice. First thing other than bfing he's had since Friday. Thanks again to all of you. I can't tell you how much the support means.

liya
04-04-2004, 01:25 PM
((((hugs hun)))) im so sorry prayers your way..

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-04-2004, 07:11 PM
We're sending prayers and wishes...
Kiss little bugaboo for us ...
and big hugs to mommy too!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties