PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used ipads.com for photo greeting cards / invitations?

jda312
04-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has used ipads.com to make photo greeting cards. I've looked at other online sites with a similar function (ofoto, snapfish, shutterfly), and like the ipads cards best. I'm thinking of making 1st birthday invitations using ipads.

I'd prefer creating my own cards (faster turnaround time) rather than using a company that designs for me like Blue Daisy, Custom Shots, or Unique Greetings.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Mom to Noah 5/5/2003

P.S. Apologize if this is a duplicate post by me, since I already posted, but the post seems to have disappeared.

pritchettzoo
04-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Another idea is to create a collage or whatnot in a Photoshop-type application. You can take it to Sam's/Costco/wherever and print it very cheaply.

I've gotten prints from Shutterfly and was happy with their quality. I believe there are some past threads comparing the quality of prints from the places you mentioned. I *think* Shutterfly was the "winner," but I could be mistaken.

ETA: here are a couple of past threads on quality:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=37&topic_id=43227&mesg_id=43227&listing_type=search
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=21803&mode=full

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jasabo
04-04-2004, 02:12 PM
I've never used ipads, but did have some photo cards done by shutterly and was thrilled with them! They turned out really well, and everyone that I mailed them to loved them. I've been very happy with shutterfly services. They're a little pricey, but I guess they're all that way.

Lisa - mom to 9 month old twin boys

August Mom
04-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Sorry. I know this isn't what you were asking, but it will bump your post to the top, so I'll respond. We have had good success with photo cards from www.clubphoto.com. I found that they have a good selection of designs, but I have only used them for Christmas.

For DS's first birthday invitation, I took my favorite photo and printed our invitations on special paper made for cards. They turned out nicely.

FWIW, I don't know if you'll have enough room on those photo cards to include all the relevant details. Generally, you only get 3 lines, I think.

jda312
04-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Thank you all for your helpful feedback! I'm always amazed how kind people are to take the care and time to respond. I ended up ordering from ipads for the following reasons:
1) Lots of fonts (styles & sizes, I liked the "Fun & Hip" font) and text colors (31 diff colors) to choose from
2) Text allowed on front of card ("I'm turning one !")
3) Good prices: 12 pack of 4.25" x 5.5" folding cards for $12.95 (less if you order 4 packs or more)
4) Decently cute borders. I actually made 4 different cards (ordered 12 each) using different borders and ink colors.

Will have to wait and see how the quality is. I will post again when I receive them to let everyone know how they turned out.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Mom to Noah 5/5/2003

Dcclerk
04-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this site. I'm really impressed with the prices. Please let us know what you think when you get the cards. This may be the best option for my DS's 1st birthday party, too!

jda312
04-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

I received the cards yesterday. I think these are a very good low cost option. They look pretty much exactly the way they do in the previews when you create the cards. Love the font! Since the printing is done on stock for cards (as opposed to photo paper), which is sort of glossy on the outside and regular paper on the inside, the photo looks as such. That is, it's not as sharp as an actual photo print that you usually get from snapfish or shutterfly, but perfectly acceptable. I'm guessing it's comparable to what you could create at home with a high quality photo printer, although I don't own one myself. While home printers can produce great quality, I can still always tell the difference. I really liked the ease of creating the cards and the control I had over everything. I would recommend them, however I will probably try another site next time for comparison sake. What I really need to do is learn to make those collages, since those custom design sites charge a fortune for collage style photo cards.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to mail you a sample. I have tons extra. Feel free to email me your address if you want me to send you a card.

Thanks,
Jennifer
[email protected]

Dcclerk
04-10-2004, 07:24 PM
I saw Jennifer's cards and I have to say that for the price, I think that they are fabulous. Part of it, I'm sure, is that Noah is an ADORABLE little guy. He is so photogenic that I'm sure he would like amazing with a dot matrix printout! I am definitely thinking of using them for DS's 1st Birthday, and if not that, at least the thank yous! Thanks so much for letting us know about this company, Jennifer. I hope Noah's birthday is fantastic!

jda312
04-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Thanks Kerry...You are so kind!