PDA

View Full Version : What did you wish you had on hand/ready when you brought DD/S home from the hospital?

urquie
04-03-2004, 10:52 PM
My CNM thinks DD will arrive early... what should I have ready at home before I go to the hospital, in preparation for bringing home our first baby? Is there anything you couldn't live without or really wish you would have had on hand??? Thanks for any advice!

papal
04-03-2004, 11:15 PM
The Donut Cushion. Seriously. I was still in pain because of the stitches and I had to send dh out the next day to get one of these. I wish I had it from the start.. the car ride home was not very comfortable.
The My Brest Frend. I got it on Day 4 but wish I had it from Day 1 (in the hospital). Adjusting all the pillows was a PITA especially since it seemed like i was feeding dd 24/7 !!

That is all i can think of for now.

redhookmom
04-04-2004, 12:05 AM
I would agree with the rec for a nursing pillow.

Some meals prepared and in the freezer.

If you are nursing; nursing pads and the cream for sore/cracked nipples.

And, you should just sleep, sleep, sleep and then sleep some more.

Did I mention you should sleep?

jubilee
04-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Meals in the freezer because you won't want to cook
Toilet paper and other essentials because you won't want to shop
Gas in the gas tank
breast pump sterilized and ready to go
breastfeeding pillow (boppy) and nipple cream

That is all I can think of!

Eloise36
04-04-2004, 12:11 AM
In addition to those great suggestions, this is what I needed those first few days

- At least one pack of diapers and wipes. We went through so many diapers those first few days
- frozen or pre-prepared dinners in the freezer
- breast pump if you are planning to b/f. Was especially helpful right after I got home because I got so engorged Ds couldn't latch on
- A big pack of maxi pads - I was bleeding for about a month after the birth

american_mama
04-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Whatever your mode of feeding, be as familiar with it as you can be before baby comes home. This will be your A#1 concern, followed closely by sleeping and your own comfort. I can offer more advice about breastfeeding, since that's what I did.

Break a nursing bra in before baby is born. All bras are uncomfortable to me the first few days I wear them, and experiencing that with sore breasts sucked, if you'll pardon the pun.

HOOK the breast pump up in advance and TRY it out in advance. Yes, just for a minute or two so you know how it works - don;t wait until your child is having a feeding problem and your breasts are engorged like I did.

Have the phone numbers for a one or two sources of breastfeeding advice handy - a contact at La Leche League, the lactation consultants at the hospital, a lactation consultant with your pediatric practice (some have them), or even a good and experienced friend.

Meals frozen AND paper plates and cups to eat on.

If you want, some cake or cookies (frozen or packaged so easy to store) for guests when they stop by to see the baby. Your desire to be a good host will remain, but your ability to hop to the store or whip up a batch of brownies will be non-existent.

And, of course, your things AND Dad's AND baby's packed ready for the hospital in advance, plus car seat in car or trunk in advance.

Finally, I was probably the only person who didn;'t have a stroller before my child was born, and I regretted it greatly. Buy or borrow a stroller, even if it's not the one you plan to stick with, in order to maintain some mobility.

Good luck!

papal
04-04-2004, 11:02 AM
>HOOK the breast pump up in advance and TRY it out in >advance. Yes, just for a minute or two so you know how it works >- don;t wait until your child is having a feeding problem and your >breasts are engorged like I did.

Karen, I have heard that stimulating the nipples too much can lead to the onset of contractions. If this is true then perhaps trying out the pump before hand may not be such a good idea?? I am not entirely sure.. just wanted to post this so somebody could clarify.

trumansmom
04-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Tucks pads. I tore a LOT and these were very, very useful for lining pads the first week or so.

Frozen meals, or foods you could grab on the go. My favorite gift waiting for me on my doorstep was a fruit basket. I lived off of it for the first few days.

And this is kind of a weird one - my MIL gave us a huge pack of really inexpensive hand towels before DS was born. I thought she was nuts (still do, but for other reasons now! :)), but we ended up using them to line the top of the changing table OVER the changing pad cover. During the early days, poop gets everywhere, and it was so convenient to just be able to change the towel vs. changing the cover everytime.

Good luck!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

RwnMayfair
04-04-2004, 11:40 AM
>Karen, I have heard that stimulating the nipples too much can lead to the onset of contractions. If this is true then perhaps trying out the pump before hand may not be such a good idea?? I am not entirely sure.. just wanted to post this so somebody could clarify.

Both my midwife and my mother (a lactation consultant) suggested this as a method to potentially try and start labor naturally when Taran was late. So yes, this is a method that can lead to the onset of contractions, though I think how well nipple stimulation works probably varies from person to person. :) My mother had purchased a breastpump for me that she'd been saving, and she offered for me to use it then as a way for nipple stimulation, but also said that there are others ways to do it as well that are more comfortable. Needless to say, we just tried other ways rather than the breastpump.

So I'd honestly suggest waiting to try the pump afterwards, unless the idea of setting off contractions doesn't bother you, since there is always that risk by testing it early. But I'd also recommend having a way to contact a lactation consultant too, rather than waiting until you're really frustrated or anything like that. I was a lot luckier than most in that I had one right there all the time in my mother.

-Melissa

Taran Reed - Nov, 20, 2003

firstbaby
04-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Not only meals for the freezer but drinks and SNACKS! For me, it seemed like I was nursing through every single meal and had a hard time keeping up with drinking enough water and eating. Just Nutragrain bars or something small would have been perfect.

Also, I loved my bouncy seat from day 1 - I didn't turn it on but I would put DS in there - sometimes swaddled - but always strapped in just to have a place to set him down for a couple of minutes so I could eat that nutragrain bar, blow dry my hair... etc. Each baby is different and yours may not take to the bouncy seat but it worked for us.

Also, if you're going to be nursing lansinoh (sp?) was a god send!

Good luck!

caleymama
04-04-2004, 01:11 PM
You've gotten some great advice here. I only have a couple of things to add.

I don't know how early your DD could potentially arrive, but some preemie diapers and/or clothes might be nice to have on hand. I think WalMart has both.

Another thing that I found really nice the first few days home was some flushable wet wipes. I only had them on hand because they came free with some wipes or diapers or something we had bought (they were for kids - the Pampers brand). I had a nasty tear - not that any are not nasty - and these were so much better (TMI!) when wiping than regular toilet paper. I had been planning to save them for potty training DD but that idea went out the window fast. There's a thread in the Bitching Post about stuff like this, so others may disagree about the usefulness of these.

Good luck and lots of easy labor vibes to you!

daisymommy
04-04-2004, 01:28 PM
The only thing I can add to this great advice, is if possible, hire a cleaning servive to come over and clean your house before the baby arrives. It will probably be the last time your home gets a good cleaning for months!
We had everything ready for DS, and left the house for last, thinking that since this was our first baby, he would be late. DH had planned on cleaning a day or two before my due date so it would look nice when family flew in from out of state to see the baby. But guess what? I ended up going into labor 3 days before my due date (meanwhile the house is an absolute disaster!), and DS is born on his actual due date! We came home from the hospital wanting evrything to be perfect, and it was such a mess.
So, in retrospect, I wish that a week or two before the baby was due, I had someone come clean my house really well so I could relax when I came home, rather than stressing out. When you're tired, you wish you could cook, clean, etc, but your body is just way too tired.

C99
04-04-2004, 04:22 PM
A freezer stocked with reheatable meals!

urquie
04-04-2004, 09:48 PM
is the donut cushion only needed if you tear? or is it useful after any non cs delivery?

papal
04-04-2004, 10:02 PM
I am not sure if you would need it if you do not tear... i was just miserable because i could not put any pressure on the area as it was VERY sore. It might be a good idea to have just in case anyway (you can get it at the local supermarket.. i have seen it at Giant) and return it if you don't use it. Or if you are in the DC area, let me know and i will give you mine! :)

Momof3Labs
04-04-2004, 10:22 PM
I was specifically told NOT to use a donut pillow, so clear that with your nurse or OB before using one.

papal
04-04-2004, 10:35 PM
ACK!! Really????? Do you know why Lori??? It was not my OB who suggested it but the nurse in the hospital. This was the same nurse who told me to 'stuff as much as you can into her mouth' for my first time breastfeeding. I guess i should have taken EVERYTHING she said with a grain of salt!!! !@#!@#!@#%#... stupid nurse!

Momof3Labs
04-04-2004, 10:46 PM
No, they didn't tell me why, and I was too much in a fog to think of asking. This might be one of those things where there are mixed opinions in the medical world, but all the more reason to run it by your own OB or nurse!

Jen in Chicago
04-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Cabbage- for engorgement- MAGICAL!!!!!
Halo Sleep Sacs- it was colder than expected the first week of June and Jude was carted around looking for this
PB&J fixings- all I had time to prepare, and I ate then like they were going out of style
Easy to prepare snacks (in additiont to meals)- a friend recommended this and I was so happy I had things on hand for us and for our guests
Margarita fixings- I had denied myself months of my favorite drink and could not wait to have a short one a day for a while
File of delivery menus
Lots of laundry detergent- I was amazed at the amount of laundry myself (leaky boobs) and Jude produced
Have all of your cleaning supplies well stocks, I got anal and was wiping down things left and right. No one wants a trip to the store for dish soap, glass cleaner,...

Friends recommended dark beer for milk production.

I sound like a lush, but I am not.

aliceinwonderland
04-05-2004, 11:01 AM
LOL--Actually, it reminded me to get a bottle of wine. I've wanting to drink some wine (and I have occasionally, but with guilt)--for some time now.

eri and bean, due April 19th :)

alkagift
04-05-2004, 12:48 PM
I wish I had had...

-Lasagna or something pre-cooked
-Natural senna laxative...they give you one a day in the hospital if they think you need it, but I didn't until day 5 or 6...check with your OB nurse before taking, but it was something I'd never even thought I'd need...(SORRY for the TMI!!)
-I would agree with the donut pillow, but frankly the two we bought weren't enough...I sat on my boppy, which is more firm.
-More than one breastfeeding pillow--My Brest Friend or Boston Billows plus the Boppy. Even if you don't sit on the Boppy ;-), it's nice to have one for the bedroom and one for another room--and for me I was uncomfortable with the Boppy at first and needed a different style.
-Really pretty, comfy PJ's that you don't mind sitting in and being seen in after you get home! I bought some coral toile ones and I didn't regret it! I wish I'd bought the matching slippers.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Jen in Chicago
04-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Confession.... I did not wait until I got home to have a margarita. My MIL brought Jose Cuervo with her to the hospital to celebrate the birthdayS- DS and DH same day.

My OB gave me the green light to have 1 glass a wine a week the second 1/2 of my pregnancy. I sometimes had two 1/2's of there were special occassions during the week. I never finished a glass (or 1/2 glass (guilt), but stretched out each sip and enjoyed it so much.

SIL nursed and had a beer in the evenings. That is how she kept sane with her battle with nursing. They say it helps milk production. My Ped and her's recommended it during nursing low points.

aliceinwonderland
04-05-2004, 05:05 PM
LOL, about the margaritas at the hospital!! I have to share that with my DH..

I've had the occsional glass of red wine, but it's wine WITHOUT the guilt that I miss dearly...

Also, would you believe it: I've never been much of a beer drinker (only occasionally with burgers, LOL), but I crave it so much in this pregnancy: I make my DH order beer when we go out to eat, so I can "sip" his (ordering my own would involve too much guilt, again!

lisams
04-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Those tucks pads were WONDERFULL!! I would "dab" the area and it really did relieve some pain. I also had some spray they gave us at the hospital that was great, so ask for that!!

HAving frozen meals was priceless - things like lasagna, soup, casseroles that are an instant meal.

Lots of pads - I went through those like crazy the first few days.

Lanisoh(nipple cream) if nursing. I didn't even attempt pumping until a month later, but I had it ready to use just in case I needed it for whatever reason.

Best of luck!!!! Those first days are so special and amazing!!
Lisa

Jen in Chicago
04-05-2004, 09:18 PM
I CRAVED beer too for the first time in my life when I was pregnant. I sent my little brother for non-alcholic beer for me at one point. Real beer drinkers hated it, but it satified my craving. Jude's Ped told me to try beer b/4 fenugreek (sp) when I was having nursing problems. Got to love it when the Dr tells you to drink beer in place of a pill. Unfortunately the beer never helped Jude sleep, that part was a myth.

american_mama
04-06-2004, 05:07 AM
About using the breastpump in advance.... well, check with your doctor or midwife if you are concerned briefly using the breast pump in advance will stimulate labor. I know nipple stimulation CAN start labor, although not super reliably, but I personally wouldn't worry that one minute on a breast pump would do it. My point was just that I unexpetedly had to use the breast pump starting the second day my daughter was home for the hopsital, and it was disastrous, and led to my first breakdown in those "special" early days. Extraordinarily difficult first days is how I remember them! It would have removed one stress if I had known how to work the pump in advance and known what it felt like on un-sore breats.

To any lactation consultants out there, a nice close-up video of pumping is something that should be included in breastfeeding classes!

Karen

Rachels
04-06-2004, 09:19 AM
A few preemie outfits! Abigail weighed in at six pounds, and the newborn stuff didn't fit her until she was six weeks old. I had to go shopping at three days to get her some clothes that fit.

Also, paste the numbers of several LCs next to your phone. Calling sooner rather than later makes a huge difference!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

urquie
04-08-2004, 06:08 PM
does it matter what kind of cabbage... red, nappa, etc???

urquie
04-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks everybody for all the great ideas! Now I'm feeling a bit more prepared:)

jesseandgrace
04-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Diapers - they go much faster than you would ever think
wipes or cotton balls to clean poop
boppy pillow for nursing
tucks
Obviously the infant car seat ready with the base in the car
lots of easy little t-shirts or pull on cotton things - forget the fancy little dresses/outfits for a newborn. Even my almost 9 pound babies swam in the 0-3 month stuff.

For DS I used a pump right away and I rented it from the hospital. For DD I rented it and never used it
Lansinol nipple cream
nursing bra
SWING!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just me, but i never wanted to wear maternity clothes after the baby, so I had some comfortable stretchy things to wear when I first got home so Inever had to wear any maternity things.

kitmama
04-10-2004, 12:05 AM
I can't argue with anything people have recommended here- it's all good advice. My list would be:

Precooked meals, preferably frozen in single-serving sizes
the boppy pillow
the lansinoh cream
plenty of pads
diapers
flannel receiving blankets
little cotton side-snap T-shirts
the infant car seat, of course, installed and checked out

I guess that's about it?

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Either from the hospital or the second you walk in your door leave a very detailed message on your phone...

Like...we had the baby, things went well...stats...mom and dad doing great "and we are tucking ourselves in bed for some much needed resest and will resurface as a family tomorrow after 1:00PM"...
or something like that...folks don't really want to bug you but they want you to know they are thinking of you, and not ignoring your great news...so this lets them know you are alive and doing great...but that you'd prefer to wait to get some loving from them...

I also left a note on my door...
I was home about 9 hours after delivering so this was a must...
a revolving door of visitors took place from that point on, but it helped to get some rest by ourselves under our belt.

SERIOUSLY folks will see your car coming down the street, if you can do this and even say you are taking the phone off the hook BEFORE you get home you will be glad you did!!!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

urquie
04-11-2004, 05:49 PM
what a fabulous idea! now my excuse for not answering the phone will already be laid out!

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-11-2004, 07:15 PM
You'll find that most really just want stats and to make certain that all is OK...folks seem thrilled that they are not disturbing you but glad to have info :)....

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Java
04-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Oh man, I wish I had this list when I was pg!

Here's my wish list:
- have a PUMP ready! I was not prepared for how painful engorgement was.
- Some kind of nursing pillow. Bring it to the hospital so the nurses can help you figure out with positioning the baby.
- 2 packages of diapers. The first half of the first package was basically trial and error.
- Laundry detergent. You go through an incredible amount of tiny loads of laundry! We were trying to be so careful with DS - he was so tiny (<6 pounds) and with the umbilical cord, that he managed to pee everywhere.
- Laxative or stool softener. I was pretty terrified of the first PP-poop! (sorry - TMI)
- Box of pads. I had PP-bleeding for 6 weeks.
- Lots of generic cloth diapers (the kind you buy at Target or Walmart). I used them to line the changing table so I just threw them in the laundry basket and not have to change the changing table.

For later, I wish I had:
- the Miracle Blanket. DS needed to be swaddled to sleep and we struggled with sleep issues for 3 months until I purchased this.
- "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. I didn't get this until 4 months. I wish I got it earlier (even as early as before DS was born).
- the Eurobath. DS was such an active, squirmy baby that the other bathtubs were just not comfortable enough for him. After 3 screaming unhappy bathing episodes, we took a field trip to BRU, bought one and used it that same night! Now he happily splashes around in it.

I hope this helps - good luck!

ShayleighCarsensMom
04-12-2004, 01:44 AM
I couldnt agree more with Neve.....it never failed that someone would call the minute I closed my eyes...
Here is some added advice: turn the ringer off on all phones except the one furthest from your bedroom, and turn it down to low.
That way, if you are awake, you will hear it, if not the machine will get it and you can return the call while feeding the baby! (We still have it like that to this day, and its great! The kids never wake up from the phone ringing and we only answer it if we are not busy, as when we are busy we just dont hear it.)
~Oh, lots of bottled water in the fridge, you will be so incredibly thirsty, it will amaze you!
Best of luck, keep us posted!

kwc
04-12-2004, 02:15 AM
Jumping on this thread late so I only have random musings...

Maybe TMI, butI was surprised that I really craved _vegetables_ (roughage) and that MIL who was staying with us was making a ton of amazing fresh baked goods daily... but I really needed roughage... so maybe have a bunch of veggies on hand?

Also, I was really glad to have read/ watched _The Happiest Baby on the Block_ before the baby came, as well as much of the _The Nursing Mothers Companion_

Good luck!

urquie
04-14-2004, 03:44 AM
I'm so glad to see the last three books recommended... I've been given all of them and have started reading them with DH! Hopefully Murphy's Law will apply... that since we're reading them we won't need the info! Thanks so much for all the great ideas everyone!