PDA

View Full Version : Cradle cap?

jojo2324
04-03-2004, 11:37 PM
What do you do with it? Honestly, my first reaction is to ignore it. Is it bad? It doesn't bother me as much as it doesn't look nice, but kids don't have cradle cap forever. Gannon never had it, actually. Sorrel's extends down to her eyebrows, so maybe it's combined with dry skin? (Or is cradle cap the same as dry skin?)

If I should do something about it, what would that be? She gets a sponge bath/bath once every few days, and I clean her face/head every day with a damp washcloth.

Thank you!

jamsmu
04-03-2004, 11:42 PM
When DS was about 1 month old, the ped told me to rub baby oil on his forehead, then cover it with a cotton baby-cap for one whole day. This wiped out the cradle cap on his forehead.

Now he has it big-time on his scalp. I agree, it doesn't seem so bad, and I'm sure no one notices but DH and me, but I look forward to bathnights so that it will fade! :)

pritchettzoo
04-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Gentle Naturals has a cradle cap treatment. I love their Eczema cream! I use it on myself too.

The website has a link to a $2.00 rebate and sometimes there is a $1.00 off coupon inside the box (they aren't sealed so you can peek!). http://www.gentlenaturals.com/

I don't think it's bad if you ignore it, but it seems to me it might itch. I personally hate the little eczema patches that pop up on me; they're tight and uncomfortable. I don't know what cradle cap feels like though...if it's like dandruff, the baby probably can't feel a thing! It's probably cosmetic more than anything.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jubilee
04-04-2004, 12:11 AM
I took a little oil and rubbed it into DS's scalp with a baby hairbrush and then rinsed it off. A day or two of that and it was gone.

egoldber
04-04-2004, 12:17 AM
My ped told me to ignore it and it would go away. It did. :)

deborah_r
04-04-2004, 12:23 AM
I just discovered a recurrance of cradle cap under Kai's thick hair - I've just been making sure to massage his scalp a little more during bathtime and I comb his hair out twice a day. I actually couldn't remember the treatment, and like you I am not all that concerned about it, but I thought stimulating the scalp with massaging and combing would help. Maybe not. Maybe I'll try some baby oil. Wearing a cap would be out of the question, he would just pull it off.

macassi
04-04-2004, 12:36 AM
I ignored it and figured it would go away on its own with my DD. It didn't. About 5 months later, I decided to rub baby oil into her scalp and use a fine comb to remove the scales. Since then we have been cradle cap free, and I really wish that I had done it much earlier.

aliceinwonderland
04-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I've heard some people use plain old olive il...but no baby for me yet, so I woudn't know first hand !!

Lucia
04-04-2004, 03:56 AM
We had good luck with Burt's Bees bar soap...very gentle and cleared up cradle cap very quickly.

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

Imperia
04-04-2004, 04:59 AM
People have given you lot sof good suggestions. We haven't had cradle cap here but I was told it's basically baby dandruff heh. It goes away on it's own but oil on the scalp and combing through works. Also, Mustela makes a WONDERFUL newborn shampoo which we use. It's a foam so it's really easy to rinse away, and it smells very light. On the bottle it says it will treat cradle cap too. As I said we haven't had it here, not sure if it's luck or because we use it, heh.

I also wanted to say I LOVE Burt's Bees stuff as well, but some people warned me the shampoo bar will sting the eyes if it gets in there, so you nee dto be very careful. I use Burt's Bees buttermilk soap on Maddy and I accidently got that in her eye once and she SCREAMED. I felt awful, so now I am scared to use their shampoo bar lol. BB smells divine though, and I do still use the soap and lotions.

Imperia

vikivoly
04-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Don't ignore it because it may not go away! DD had it as an infant and I got MOST of it out using pure olive oil. I figured the small amount that was left would just go away and it never did. I'm talking 7 or 8 months later! I just last week bought the Gentle Naturals Anna recommended and it appears to disappear. It was so much harder to deal with now that DD's hair is thicker and longer, plus her hair looked terrible the next day.

KGoes
04-07-2004, 03:58 PM
DD had thick yellow scales and I tried everything to make it go away - Burt's Bees, Mustela, Apricot Oil, Olive Oil - and she had little hair to hide the patches. Then she started scratching her head in her sleep leaving small scabs no matter how short I trimmed her nails. The ped prescribed Elidel for her full body eczema and said it was okay to put some on her head. The cradle cap went away within a week and after that her hair started to come in. I have no idea if one is related to the other. FWIW, we do daily battle with eczema, but the cradle cap has not come back.

Kelley
DD born 7/03

starrynight
04-07-2004, 04:13 PM
In our case baby oil cleared it up only to have it come back worse. Olive oil or apricot oil worked better. Doc said use a fine comb or gentle baby brush, if you scrape at it too hard it aggrevates it and it spreads.

houseof3boys
04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Everyone has already given you great suggestions Joanne. We have luck (believe it or not) with Selsun Blue shampoo and a washcloth. I found that every shampoo we tried (Burts Bees included) just exacerbated the problem.

jbowman
04-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Another vote for Selsun Blue (LOL--it is dark blue, don't know why I was so shocked...after all, it's called Selsun BLUE)! I asked our ped. about cradle cap on Friday & he suggested that we use it (he also said that we could ignore it & it would go away). It seems to be helping!