PDA

View Full Version : Possible cat or dust mite allergy in 8 mo old? (LONG!)

ohiomom
04-04-2004, 12:18 AM
DD started with a gushing runny nose about 2-1/2 weeks ago -- clear excretions... some sneezing. We were in the middle of a remodeling project and the house was pretty dusty. Also have 2 cats... NO runny nose when she goes to the babysitters (3 days a week) or when we go on walks outside, etc... It is clearly something in our house. Seemed to improve (but not completely disappear) when we run an air purifier in her bedroom. I got a dyson vac last weekend and was HORRIFIED at the cat hair it sucked up all over the house (despite vacumming in the week prior). I've cleaned like I haven't cleaned in years... Not that our house was disgustingly filthy, but cleaning is less of a priority with DD than before she arrived when trying to fit everything in a day... But her nose is still running depite our efforts!

MD suggested benedryl and do some blood tests at same time we check her hemoglobin and lead levels next month at mo 9 visit. Even w/the benedryl she seems to get only partial relief today. She's concerned that there's little data about safety of claritin is younger than 2 kids and no long term useage studies...

So, multiple questions here...
1) Has anyone else here had to deal with this in such a young child?
2) Has anyone gotten the green light to use children's Claritin in a child less than a year?
3) Has anyone's baby had allergy testing? If so, was it blood test or skin testing?
4) Should we be seeing an allergist?
5) She has very runny nose in the kitchen, which I find strange since no carpeting there.. which makes me wonder more if it's the cats.
6) If it IS the cats, has anyone had any luck coexisting w/cats despite allergy or is it imperative we have them removed to a new home if cat allergy confirmed?

This stinks... we've had our pets over 9 years and I'll tell you, the one cat is extremely antisocial to everyone except DH and I. She's warmed up to DD, but still keeps her distance... DH says it will be easier to get rid of DD than the cats! They are so much a part of our family, it will be just awful if we need to let them go... but I guess we'll do what we have to do for DD's health... Oh say it isn't so!!

Nicole's Mom 7/30/03

macassi
04-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Well, if you want to think optimistically -- I've had two pulmonologists tell me that it is rare for inhaled allergies to occur before the age of two.

Sorry I don't have guidance on the allergies. I've used Claritin under the age of two -- but it was about 18 months. If it was the cats, I'm not sure you would notice a difference room by room. My brother is allergic to dogs, and once the reaction starts, it doesn't go away until he's had medication or been away from the dog for quite some time (several hours if not a day). It doesn't come and go as he moves from room to room.

egoldber
04-04-2004, 10:25 AM
My ped also said that environmental allergies generally don't occur before age 2. Since its room specific, perhaps there is an odor that she is sensitive to? Or a cleaner you use in that room that irritates her nose?

HTH,

JElaineB
04-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Are you sure it isn't/wasn't dust from the remodeling rather than the cats? Supposedly having cats around infants is GOOD for their immune systems, it will help prevent allergies in the future. However, DS and I were at my mother's house when the kitchen/dining room were remodeled when he was 5 months old. We were basically stuck in the living room or upstairs the whole time. But there was dust everywhere and DS and I both basically got "sick" from it with respiratory effects the entire time we were there. And we did feel better if we got out of the house for a whole day. On the way home we both started to clear up and were fine once we were home for a full day. I guess I'm not sure why you think it is the cats rather than remodeling dust? We have cat hair EVERYWHERE and I justify it in that it is good for DS's immune system! ;)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Vajrastorm
04-04-2004, 01:49 PM
I don't know much about allergies, but considering the timing I think the remodel is more likely the culprit than the cats.

Sorry that I can't be more help.

Have you tried an air purifier in the kitchen too?

llcoddington
04-04-2004, 04:02 PM
When DH was a baby, he had a SEVERE allergy to cats (and still does). My MIL said DH was on the floor and stopped breathing. He had asthma and if he touched a cat his skin would turn red. He was also put in an oxygen tent for a week (this was when he was a bit older). So, I suppose it is possible to have allergies this young. But, in his case, it was obvious it was the cat.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

ohiomom
04-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the replies... you are making me feel a little more optimistic. I guess I initially figured it was dust, but then after cleaning like a crazed woman the last 2 weeks with no improvement noticed, I was thinking maybe it would be the cats. The comment re: odor by a following poster makes me curious if it could be VOC senstivity from the paint, stain, polyurethane...

Today we went to PA for an annual huge family get together to celebrate my grandparent's anniversary (69 years!)and the restaurant is in an older building and her nose ran there a lot.. I presume they don't have cats... So although a dust allergy bites, it would be better than having to lose the cats.

The benedryl doesn't seem to help a whole lot...The more I'm thinking about this, it seems like a peds allergist might be wise... if nothing else, to make me stop trying to figure this out for myself...

Nicole's Mom 7/30/03

ohiomom
04-04-2004, 10:14 PM
I have. We actually won a purifier on ebay so hope having 2 will be helpful. It gets to the point you just can't keep moving the purifier all over the place. I so hope you are right about the remodel!
Nicole's Mom 7/30/03

ohiomom
04-04-2004, 10:18 PM
You're making me realize a constantly runny nose is NOTHING compared to what could be!
Nicole's Mom 7/30/03