PDA

View Full Version : How easily can you replace beef?

jojo2324
04-04-2004, 12:47 PM
I want to make a pot roast, and I have a bottom round roast. For some reason, it's really hard for me to find a recipe with that cut of meat for anything! Can I just use it in place of the chuck roast recipes are calling for? Actually, I really want to make roast beef - is that possible? I'm studying my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, trying to figure out all the different cuts, but it's not sinking in! :)

trumansmom
04-04-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm terrible about this as well, which is really unfortunate since my FIL has a farm and we get all the free beef we want! Do you have "The Joy of Cooking"? It does a great job of describing the best ways to cook various cuts of beef. I use it as a resource ALL the time!

If you don't, let me know and I'll go downstairs and look it up. I'm feeling way too "waddly" to make the trip unnecessarily!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

jojo2324
04-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Ah, thanks Jeanne! You stay put. :) Wow, free beef!! That's great!

I just ended up using it anyway. But I will look into the Joy of Cooking. I should have it anyway, isn't is an essential?

jojo2324
04-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Yeah, well it turned out gross and tasteless. Ugh. I can't stand it when I follow directions and the result is crap! x( Gannon sure isn't touching it, so he might be getting PB&J for dindin tonight. Poor kid.

caleymama
04-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry your roast didn't turn out well. 99% of the time I use the crockpot for roasts and I use whatever cut and it's usually okay (often venison, since DH hunts). I've found that it's pretty hard to mess up something cooked in the crockpot, and trust me I've tried. I mainly just wanted to second the rec for The Joy of Cooking. It was a staple of at my parent's house growing up and we have one now. I'm not a chef - not by a long shot - but it's a great cookbook to have on hand. Another one that I really like was from a rec this board. I got it for Christmas after seeing it here and I've been REALLY impressed with it. This is it: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0ETN0A7GYM&isbn=0936184388&itm=1. I love the in-depth explanations for why and how things work, in addition to the recipes.

egoldber
04-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Sorry your roast didn't turn out! Just another vote for the Joy of Cooking. This is what its terrific for. They list ALL cuts of meat and tell you the best ways to cook them. Its the one cookbook I have that I really NEED. All my others are just for fun or inspiration. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
04-05-2004, 12:26 AM
We just got a whole filet mignon and had them cut it into steaks and a roast. (it was on sale)

What is the best way to cook this cut of roast? Anyone have any good recipes?

I usually just get the roasting bags that come with the seasonings and do it in the oven, but a cut of meat this good deserves better than that don't you think?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nathansmom
04-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Bottom round roast is my least favorite roast. Nothing I have ever tried comes out tasting good. Call me a beef snob but I like the cheaper cuts of beef, they taste so much better if your making pot roast. Beef chuck roast I always make in the crock pot and it tastes so yummy. I have it cooking now for dinner tomorrow and it smells oh so good. Times that I have bought bottom round I cut it into bit size pieces and make a stew from in it (in the crockpot). I like the Joy of Cookin book that others have mentioned but anymore I just flavor and make the roast on my own. I can give you the recipe for the roast I'm making for dinner tomorrow.

nathansmom
04-05-2004, 01:23 AM
I tried this once and we liked it but if I were going to make it again I'd add some other seasonings. However I'm not sure what seasonings you like so I haven't listed what I would do different. LMK if you'd like what I'd try next time.
Preheat oven to 425.
Lightly oil a roasting pan.
Pat dry the filet roast.
Mix together and rub the surface with the following:
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Cook the roast for 25-45 minutes depending how well done you want it or how big your roast is.
Serve with a Bearnaise sauce or I make a mushroom/shallot gravy that I like with it.

SeekerMage
04-05-2004, 02:19 AM
I just made a pot roast last night and it turned out sooo yummy! And it was noooo work at all.

Put the roast in the crock pot (I have a big oval shaped one but not sure the size)...add one large sweet onion cut into quarters, a few quartered red potatoes, a bag of baby carrots, some fresh mushrooms, one can of cream of mushroom soup, about a quarter cup burgandy wine (I just used some cooking burgandy wine which cost less then $2), and cover to the top with beef broth (I covered it in water and added some beef bullion cubes since I didnt have any broth on hand...same thing really)....I cooked it on high for about four and a half hours (it was a 3.25 lb roast)....it was so tender it just fell apart, very flavorful and juicy and literally the only work was the few cuts on the veggies!

To the best of my knowledge the longer you leave the meat in the more tender it will be when cooking with a crock pot. The standard is on high for four to five hours or low for seven to eight. Even tougher less quality cuts of meat will turn out tender. Like a pork roast (as pork can be dry) will turn out juicy!

(quick recipie...put pork shoulder roast or ribs (one of the cheapest cuts of pork) in with water and bar-b-que sauce cook for 8 hours....drain water, add fresh bar-b-que sauce and shredd the pork -will fall apart with a fork - for quick easy shredded pork sandwiches....can put it in in the morning and come home to finished dinner after work!)