PDA

View Full Version : Ped switching protocol

aa2mama
04-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Ok, one of these days I’ll get around to introducing ourselves but for now I have a question relating to switching pediatricians within the same practice. Is this a big no no?

While I was pregnant, I chose a pediatrician based on a couple of recommendations and an interview with her nurse. Since then, I’ve realized that we aren’t compatible. For example, at our 2 month well-baby visit, she told me that I held my baby too much! Frequently her advice goes against my better judgment, and the times that I’ve followed it, it’s been to the detriment of my child’s well-being.

We’ve seen a different pediatrician within the same practice that I like much better. He’s knowledgeable and much more open to discussion. In order to continue seeing him, I’d have to switch doctors through our insurance company. The problem? Since it's handled through insurance, then I'm not sure who to explain things to at our doctors office or if I even need to. This new pediatrician knows that the other doctor is currently our primary care physician. There’s the likelihood of awkward moments running into our old doctor. I don’t feel comfortable telling her that I want to switch, and I don’t want to hurt her feelings. Also, is switching doctors within same practice generally frowned on? This is a large practice – about 20 physicians and residents in all. What would you do - switch to a doctor that you know that you like or start looking at other offices?

egoldber
04-04-2004, 11:48 PM
I think all you need to do is contact your insurance company and tell them who your new designated PCP is. When you call to schedule new appointments, just tell them you want to see the other doctor. I can't imagine why they would care.

We go to a large ped practice (10-12 docs, lots of part time ones), and I have seen most of them at one time or another. There is one doctor there that I will NOT see again, a few that I REALLY like and always try to get, and most that are OK. When scheduling, if they offer me the doc I don't see, I tell them I would prefer someone else and is there another day. To get the doctor I REALLY love I have to call them exactly on the morning that their appointement books open (he's VERY popular). I think this is somewhat expected in a large practice.

HTH,

ChicagoMama
04-05-2004, 12:55 AM
Switch to the doctor you like!

Gosh, our ped seems like an extended member of our family - that's why I say you have to like 'em, and if you don't, then switch! Don't worry about hurt feelings in this case - you aren't doing anything hurtful in this situation. Likely they will not even notice (the dr. or the scheduling/reception).

Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

macassi
04-05-2004, 01:39 AM
I had a pediatrician who I liked. He went on vacation when my son got really sick and I saw one of his partners several times in that period. I fell in love with her. On my 3rd? appointment with her, after the appointment, I just told the nurse that I'd like to switch so that she was my primary doctor. I called and changed with my insurance and that was it.

I never explained it to the first doctor and he has never asked. If it did happen, I can easily explain that my new doctor is more convenient (which is partially true, but I also LOVE her) and leave it at that.

My son had asthma and I saw the doctor a lot. My daughter was hospitalized this winter, including a brief stay in the ICU, and almost readmitted a week later. We see our pediatrician A LOT and I think it is very important that you have a good relationship with your doctor.

Imperia
04-05-2004, 04:02 AM
I haven't changed my DD's ped (I LOVE the one I have) but when I was a child my ped scared me for some reason and once her partner saw me instead. I really liked her so my father switched me to her, and it never seemed to be a problem.

Imperia

ColorBlue
04-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Heidi,

Welcome!

I would definitly switch. You probably don't even have to notify the doctor. In fact I've never notified a doctor when they became the primary care physician...they probably don't even realize it.

Don't worry they see tons of people and probably won't even realize that you switched!!

Good luck.

Tracy
dd 11/01
edd 11/04 TWINS!