PDA

View Full Version : Easter Meal- What should I serve with Ham?

Jen in Chicago
04-05-2004, 10:29 AM
I am hosting Easter for the first time. DH's wants me to serve ham, so ham it is. What shall I serve with it? 2 guests (of the 6) are on South Beach Diet (months into it- but won't be super anal about the diet on Easter.)

So far I know I will serve http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=4668&kw=sweet+potato+pecan&action=filtersearch&filter=recipe-filter.hts&collection=Recipes&ResultTemplate=recipe-results.hts&keyword=sweet+potato+pecan&queryType=and&x=15&y=4

The rest is up in the air. I would like some "light" ideas and some items that would be good for the SBD.

Thank you in advance!

vpalmer
04-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Jen,

I know very little about he SBD, so I can't help on that front. I am making a peppered ham and I think I am going to make a spinach, shallot and gruyere cheese twice baked potato. I like that it can be made ahead and I think the cheese and spinach will balance the ham nicely. I will round out the meal with fresh rolls and a fruit salad. I am still undecided about dessert though. Any suggestions? I asked DH and he said "Parfaits, everybody likes parfaits." (from Shrek) LOL!

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

jenmcadams
04-05-2004, 11:33 AM
I always like to do grilled vegetables for friends on SBD/Atkins. My favorite is grilled asparagus...I normally just toss the asparagus in olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and grill in a grill pan or on the gas grill until the spears are crisp-tender.

Jen in Chicago
04-05-2004, 12:44 PM
I am considering Margarita Pie for dessert. DH is not a dessert man, but he loves angelfood cake and margarita pie. I think he favorite part is the pretzel crust. I'll try to post the recipe later.

Tondi G
04-05-2004, 02:37 PM
With Ham I always think potatoes of some sort (lots of people do Scalloped potatoes but I don't eat cheese so thats out for me!) and either green beans or corn! You could also do some zuchinni and yellow squash... saute in some olive oil and salt and pepper to taste! A mixed green salad is always good.... or Do you have a Trader Joes store near you???? They make a really nice spinach salad in a bag.... comes with dried cranberries, walnuts and some cheese(I don't eat the cheese again LOL)... and a raspberry vinagrette I think. My sister loves this salad and it makes a nice presentation... if you don't have a trader joes it wouldn't be too hard to put together!!!!

Hope this helps you, good luck and enjoy your Easter feast!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

Jen in Chicago
04-05-2004, 04:52 PM
TJ's is where I do most of my shopping. I have never seen a mixed salad like that here, but here is my normal salad- I buy my fixings there:
Bag o Spinach
JAR (not can) of Hearts of Palm
Dried Cranberries
Blue Cheese (I know many anti-cheese people, so I put it on the side)
Annies Raspberry Vinargette (sp) dressing

Thanks! I just remembered I have a good scalloped potato recipe from Cooking Light I could make. I could have DH grill veggies.

My meal is coming together.

jubilee
04-05-2004, 05:46 PM
What is Margarita Pie? Sounds good!!

egoldber
04-05-2004, 09:04 PM
In general on the SBD you avoid foods with added sugars and trans fats. Also, any grains should be whole grain.

For a special occasion, they will probably be OK, but in addition to the salad you may also wto also have a steamed/roasted/grilled vegetable without a lot of added sugar. That way they can taste the other things and fill up on the "good stuff". Grilled veggies make a terrific presentation.

And make sure the salad dressing has less than 3 grams of sugar per tablespoon. And they would probably prefer it on the side. :)

HTH,

crl
04-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Deviled eggs?

Asparagus is a great spring veggie and goes well with ham. It it's too icky out to grill, you can microwave, covered, with a bit of water for a few minutes (I usually do about 7 mins for about 4 servings, but have a pretty low power microwave) . I put a bit of butter and a squeeze of lemon juice on the asparagus.

I'm partcularly fond of doing a simple cake (hot milk cake is really good) with strawberries and whipped cream in the spring.

Have a great Easter!

mharling
04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
My standard Easter dessert is Mandarin Orange Cake. It is super easy and super yummy. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03