PDA

View Full Version : eBay Question...Need Help!

jec2
04-05-2004, 01:55 PM
How do I estimate shipping costs?

I am an eBay newbie. I have a large item and somebody wants to know what shipping would be. How do I do this?

egoldber
04-05-2004, 02:04 PM
I would box it up, weight it, and then check with the various shippers to see what pricing would be. All of them have websites with shipping estimators.

HTH,

Chelsey333
04-05-2004, 02:07 PM
The best way is to pack it up and go to post office and find out how much shipping would be. I have sold quite a few things on ebay, and I am often too lazy to do it that way. But my dh sells a lot on ebay and that is what he does if he is unsure of the weight. Sometimes I estimate the weight and then go to FEdex or Post office web page and get a quote based on that. I have also looked up the item I am selling on ebay and see what other people have shipped it at for cost. I sometimes prefer that method bec it is the easiest for me.

jec2
04-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks!

AngelaS
04-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Or look at what other similar items are selling for and what other sellers are charging for shipping.

sweetbasil
04-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I'd either package it up and take it to a shipping place for a weight, or look at what other similar items are selling for and what other sellers are charging for shipping.

Last year I auctioned a bunch of items for a charity event...I used online shipping calculators from USPS, UPS, and Fed-Ex, and really ended up losing a lot of money to incorrect shipping calculations. Someone at a shipping store recently told me that the online calculators are notoriously inaccurate. Nice, huh?

HTH, and good luck on your sales :)

stillplayswithbarbies
04-05-2004, 04:38 PM
don't forget that if it is a large item, the measurements affect the shipping too. You can't just go by weight, you have to know the height, width, length in a certain formula.

Going to the post office with it packed up ready to mail is the best way. Don't forget to include all the packing materials.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03