PDA

View Full Version : OT: Long-haired cat question (not for the squeamish)

deborah_r
04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
You all are such a wealth of knowledge, so I hope someone can help...

For those who have long-haired cats, you've probably experienced the "dangling-turd"...sorry, I've tried to figure out a way to describe it, but that's the quickest and easiest! My cat gets them stuck, tries to shake 'em loose, then resorts to doing the butt-drag shuffle across the floor, while I'm out buying stock in Resolve carpet cleaner...

So I'd like to shave a poop trail back there, but don't ahve any idea what kind of shaver to buy. I am willing to buy a shaver to be exclusively used for the cat, if it will get rid of this disgusting problem! Please help!

kransden
04-05-2004, 03:24 PM
LMAO! Just use some smallish scissors. Your cat will probably be afraid of the noise a shaver would make by its behind. Also get some hairball medicine. That will hasten the "exit" and the feces will be less likely to get tangled up in the heiny hairs.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

deborah_r
04-05-2004, 03:39 PM
He's afraid of the scissors actually. And while I can control him pretty well for brushing, if he really wants to get away he will scratch me. I thought the shaver would precision, so I could do it even if he wasn't perfectly still. I'm terrified of clipping his skin with the scissors!

hcsl
04-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Oh how I HHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTEEEEEEE the butt drag!!!

We also use scissors, but the big sharp kind. I conceal them and maneuver my way over to a cat and when it's not looking chop off a clump of hair. It doesn't look pretty, but they can always sit around and laugh at each other's haircuts. I hold the scissors so they're always pointing away from the cat's body and I never get too close to skin. You'd be amazed at what just getting about an inch of fur off will do. I usually am able to take a clump off of each side before the cat is on to me.

lisams
04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Thats what we do!! Usually DH holds her and I trim - he kind of straddles her and gets a good hold of her, letting her never see the scissors. I thought about a shaver, but I'm sure the sounds would freak her out (she's kind of skittish with sounds).

Good luck - I hate those dangling poops!
Lisa

Imperia
04-05-2004, 05:20 PM
This might surprise you but I worked as a vet tech and we just used regular Oster hair clippers, we also had some pet clippers. They make them for animals too:

http://1-800-sunbeam.com/oster_clipper.html

Or if you get your cat groomed, a groomer, or a vet can do this for you.

Imperia

egoldber
04-05-2004, 08:47 PM
I typically use an afghan and swaddle the cat so he can't move during the "procedure". And I just use regular scissors and have no trouble.

HTH,