PDA

View Full Version : Packing for Hawaii

smiley76
04-05-2004, 03:18 PM
We are going to Kauai with DS (18 months), and I would appreciate any tips about what to pack. Anything you guys found helpful during the flight/in Hawaii? Anything you didnt take and wish you had?

Thanks!

sweetbasil
04-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Ooh- I've never traveled there with a baby (we honeymooned in Kauai, though, and loved it)...but just wanted to say that I hope you all enjoy your incredible vacation!

flagger
04-05-2004, 07:27 PM
You need nothing but a shirt, a pair of shorts and a bathing suit. Enjoy your trip!

egoldber
04-05-2004, 08:42 PM
You might want to pack swim diapers just in case you can't readily find your DS's size there. But a bucket and shovel make for a very happy toddler at the beach! :)

For the flight, if your DS is into books, I would pack a few. I really like the paperback ones that are like $3 at Target, B&N, Borders, etc. A compact MagnaDoodle can provide lots of entertainment, as can a small spiral bound notebook and a couple crayons. Finger puppets are great portable toys too.

HTH,

amyff
04-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Hi,
We just went to Maui last month with DD (15 months). We had a wonderful time and Ava did really well on the flight (we had two connections and about 12 hours of air-travel).
My biggest "on the flight" advice...try to get a "front row seat" (more space) and bring lots of different snacks (we put them into different containers like plastic easter eggs, take and toss gladware, zip-lock baggies)! Ava's favorite snacks were things that I don't tend to offer here when we are home (salty goldfish crackers, teddy bear cookies, dried fruit). We spent a lot of time transfering items from one container to another. She also got to drink juice (not something we do at home) and we played with the ice they put in our drinks.
We had a portable DVD player that we used one time on one of the flights. She wasn't too impressed but it bought us a little time before she got bored again. She enjoyed reading her favorite books more than the watching the DVD.
I forgot to put a change of clothes in the diaper bag and that was a problem when she poured milk down the front of her shirt during the first flight.
In Hawaii, we packed light and that was wonderful. We just washed our clothes once or twice during the week. I didn't bring much to play with...I brought blow up pool toys, bubbles, books, and her beloved containers. We spent a ton of time playing outside in the beautiful warm weather. The hotel provided us with a crib, highchair, linens. I guess I wish I would have brought 2 blankies for DD because I like her to go to sleep with a clean, fresh blankie. I was also glad I brought lots of sunscreen and hats for all of us.
Wow...I have so much more to say. However, this is getting long. If you have any specific questions...feel free to e-mail me or pm me!You are going to have so much fun. Don't worry. I was so concerned that the long flight would be too difficult for her and I would regret "putting her through it"...but it wasn't bad at all!
Good Luck!

smiley76
04-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys for the good advice!