PDA

View Full Version : TTC precautions? Am I being too cautious?

cdlamis
04-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Dh and I are finally TTC #2! Yeah! :)

I have a gift certificate for a massage which is my favorite thing in the world- ok after Julia and DH! :)

Anyway, my appt. is in 2 weeks and I will not know if I am pregnant by then. Is it ok to get a massage a week after conceiving? The massage will include aromatherapy, etc. I may be way paranoid about this but I want to have my massage with no worries. Plus- I may not even conceive this month- who knows!

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35d0802848f *December pictures

brubeck
04-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Aromatheraphy can be bad when you are pg. Perhaps you could just change it to a prenatal massage? I had them done when I was pg with both kids (and HUGE) and it felt great!

Melanie
04-05-2004, 06:17 PM
"I may be way paranoid about this but I want to have my massage with no worries. "

It's funny that you say that. When we conceived Ds, I never expected to conceive on the first try. Unbeknownst to me, I underwent surgery with general anesthesia, steroids, etc. when I was 1 week pregnant. When I found out I was PG, I was so paranoid b/c of my surgery. Anyway, all the MDs and CNMs didn't seemed concerned. As it turns out, all is well. I still would have thought it would be risky.

smilequeen
04-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Tell them ahead of time that you "might" be pregnant and they will take some precautions...certain oils they can't use and they might avoid certain spots on your lower back. I had one right before I found out I was pregnant (was pretty sure I was though). My OB thought it was fine :)

dogmom
04-05-2004, 09:02 PM
At 6 days the blastocyst (it's a ball of cells at this point, not even embryo stage) loosely attaches to the endometrium of the uterus. At 8 days the blastocyst starts the process of incorporating int the uterus, which continues through day 12. It isn't until the third week, 21 days, that blood vessels develop in the secondary choronic villi, which is the precursor to the placenta. I think one week is pretty safe since the blastocyst is not tied into your bood system in any way.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

houseof3boys
04-05-2004, 10:08 PM
I second telling them that you might be pregnant. There are certain spots on the body that are not "safe" to be massaged when you are pregnant.

Have fun with the massage and more importantly best of luck with TTC!!!!!! :)

firstbaby
04-05-2004, 11:26 PM
I would check with your OB and also mention this when you call to make your appt. We found out 3 days before my birthday that we were expecting. I already had made a massage appt. for my birthday (also never thought we would be so lucky so fast :) ) and when I went to my appt and told them I was prego they sent me away! I guess something about the reflexology possibly affecting things? Anyway, I was happy to be safe than sorry but was totally deflated that my massage didn't happen :(

starrynight
04-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Just don't let them rub certain parts of your feet. The heel I think it is..

Like someone else suggested to be safe you could just ask for a prenatal massage.