PDA

View Full Version : Is Gymboree worth it?

spencersmommy
04-06-2004, 02:33 AM
My DH took DS to a Gymboree class and really liked it. My question is: it worth the money? It's $150 for about 12 weeks/1 class a week. I can't take a daytime class at a local parks & rec (work PT), so we wanted to do something like a play class. Thanks for your help!
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03

jk3
04-06-2004, 05:13 AM
My DS is exactly the same age as yours, (6/3/03!), and We've been taking him to Gymboree since he was about 6 months old. He loves Gymboree-the music, the bubbles, seeing other babies, crawling on the equpment and especially the parachute. Is it essential to his development? Probably not but he is so happy whenever we go that it is completely worht it. He also naps for at leas an hour and a half after each class so he is getting a workout!

The best part of Gymboree is that you can make up any missed classes at another time. I think 2 even roll over to the next session.

Rachels
04-06-2004, 09:14 AM
For us, it really, really is. Abigail LOVES it, and it gets us out of the house when the weather is just otherwise prohibitive.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

momathome
04-06-2004, 09:17 AM
I just started doing Gymboree with Kasey and she absolutely loves it - she said it is her favorite place! I think it is worth it!
-Lauren

vpalmer
04-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Eva loves her Gymboree play classes. She is practically giddy the entire time we are there! We have been attending for about two months and although it may be a coincidence Eva clapped, crawled a long distance and stood unassisted for the first time at Gymboree. I think it may be that she is having such a great time that she loses her inhibitions, or it may just be a coincidence. :-)

FWIW, I also work and DH and I both take DD to the 6:00 class.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

jd11365
04-06-2004, 09:44 AM
We don't have a Gymboree, but a MyGym...I'm assuming it's pretty similar. Kayla and I (and DH) LOVE it! We pay $120 for 8 weeks, so I think you're getting a great deal. I thought DH was going to balk at it, so I asked him to go with us...and he said he didn't care how much it cost (something he has NEVER said) because Kayla had soooooo much fun. And I have even more fun watching her!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-06-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm wondering the same thing myself. I just started Logan ay Gymboree last Saturday. I think it will be good for her socially, since she is kind of shy and hangs back in our lap when she is around other kids.

But they combine the GymCrawlers and GymWalkers classes, and there are only 4 babies total in the two classes, so I'm not sure how social it really is. The other older baby is going to move up to the next class, so that leaves Logan and two 8 month old babies.

We also started Kindermusik and I like that better.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

JenCA
04-06-2004, 01:43 PM
We just completed the winter session of GymCrawlers and will start the spring session this Saturday. For us, it's definitely worth the money. My daughter LOVES it and I enjoy taking her to the classes. I look forward to it every week!

egoldber
04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
I've done free trial classes at Gymboree and never felt it was worth the money. But we have a fabulous park&rec system here that offers terrific classes for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of Gymboree (and also on weekends). If that wasn't an option for me, I would probably do Gymboree occasionally.

HTH,

amp
04-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Never thought about that. So they don't mind if both parents come along to the classes? I always figured I'd take DS and DH would just have to hear about it, but I bet he'd love it if we took a class and he could come along!

vpalmer
04-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Oh definitely! I asked about it before we started and they said it would be fine if both parents came. Actually, there are about 7 babies in our class and almost all the moms and dads attend together.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

wagner36
04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
We love Gymboree - but ours is $220 for 12 weeks, so yours sounds like a deal!!!

ETA: Our Gymboree also has open gym sessions 3 times a week. Open Gym is free for kids enrolled in classes (and their siblings). We go all of the time (especially when it's cold and raining), so that's another added bonus!

amp
04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Cool! Thanks, Veronica, for mentioning it and for comfirming it! I'm going to mention to DH and maybe he'll come along if we sign up for a class!

jubilee
04-06-2004, 06:54 PM
We have been going the last 8 weeks, and although it was good for Logan I am not enrolling him for another session at this time. Logan is a little slow on the milestones, and wasn't crawling at ten months old, so we thought he'd be encouraged to get moving by seeing other babies. And he did start crawling, and cruising since we started Gymboree. But it breaks down to $12 a class, which is a bit too costly for us. Plus I have to drive 45 minutes each way to get to class. It is a fun time and I even think it helped me learn activities to do with Logan at home, and songs, etc. Once we save up for it, I might enroll him again if I can't find a parks and rec group because I do think being around other babies is a good thing since Logan is just so shy.

flagger
04-06-2004, 07:16 PM
I personally think Gymboree is so not worth the money. I know how to play with my daughter and can take her to playgroups where she can play with toys that are not hers as well as to a wonderful mall with a play area where she can crawl all over safely all for free.

It is not even a question of money, it is just that I think she is doing fine without it and doesn't need organized classes at this age.

leanng
04-06-2004, 08:55 PM
I think Gymboree has been a fabulous experience for my son. All of us can take our children to the park (and do). Gymboree adds equipment which is not usually found as well as routine. My son gets to see the same kids and do some of the same things a few times a week. I certainly wouldn't call it 'organized' in any real sense though.

As far as price goes...I remember balking at the $12 a class price tag until I spoke with the owner of our local Gymboree and she told me that if I signed up for 20 weeks or more, I got unlimited play. That means I can go to as many classes (play..doesn't work for art or music) in a week that I want. That makes it much more worthwhile for me since I go twice a week. Also, for every 10 weeks you sign up for, the price goes down. I now pay $85 for a 10 week session. It's still not free but it's worth it (especially if you sign up during gymbucks. I agree that your child doesn't need Gymboree but I don't buy many toys or expensive clothes so I think it's a good investment. :) Good luck in whatever you choose.

LeAnn
Mom to Alex 11/12/02

Sarah1
04-06-2004, 10:12 PM
IMO Gymboree IS worth it because of the open gym. During the winter months (we live in Chicago and it's STILL COLD btw) it was absolutely critical to have a place to go and play a couple days a week, in addition to the class itself. The class itself I didn't love...I actually find Gymbo the clown kind of creepy looking and that song sticks in my head for HOURS after the class ends....

Calmegja2
04-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Not my favorite activity for a baby, but we have access to our club, and other great programs, so I might like it more if our other options weren't as plentiful...

spencersmommy
04-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Hello everyone! Thanks for your advice! We decided to do it. We both took DS to class tonight, and it was so much fun! It was so neat to see him in a different light. He's very active and he actually sat still and watched the teacher. I was impressed! My niece, the neatest 7 year old ever, is super shy around strangers and never really was around anyone but family growing up (first grandchild, etc.), and my DH and I really want our kiddos to be more outgoing. I know he's only 10 months old, but I think this will help, besides being fun. While I agree DS doesn't need it, I think it will be a fun experience for him and us! Thanks again! :-)
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03
I've heard great stuff about MyGym, but our local one doesn't have classes for my DS's age.

drsweetie
04-07-2004, 09:52 AM
This is a little OT, but...I have a coupon for $20 off a full session at Gymboree Play & Music that expires May 31. It says that the offer is limited to "new families". If anyone wants the coupon, e-mail me your address and I'll send it to you.

(I posted this in the Bargain Alert forum a while back but no one responded.)

jk3
04-07-2004, 11:26 AM
I know how to play with my DS too and we attend a weekly playgroup with children his age but Gymboree is a completely different experience. I'm sure your child is doing fine w/o it and organized classes are definitely not neccessary from a developmental standpoint but it's harsh to imply that parents who choose to enroll their children in organized programs, Gymboree or otherwise, are not finding creative free alternatives.