PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning plastic toys

DCmommy
04-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Bought some toys on ebay for the first time, and let's just say that they're not in any condition for DS to play with them, especially considering what I paid for them. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to really clean plastic toys so DS doesn't contract heaven-only-knows-what from the grime and funk in the crevices of these things?

TIA!

Megan
Mommy to Patrick, 1/16/03

Vajrastorm
04-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Oooh, I hope you left negative feedback!

Sorry I don't have any cleaning tips.

jojo2324
04-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Are they a size that can easily fit in the dishwasher? Otherwise, I would do a soak with a splash of bleach and water. Maybe a toothbrush to get the crevices?

Sorry it wasn't what you expected!!

trumansmom
04-07-2004, 01:32 PM
I agree, if they fit in the dishwasher, try that first. Otherwise, clorox wipes are great, or if they are really big, fill the bathtub with bleach and water and soak them for a while. Then make sure to turn the shower on them and rinse the heck out of them.

Yuck. Stuff like that really ticks me off. What could the seller be thinking?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

starrynight
04-07-2004, 01:32 PM
I have had good luck with some vinegar and baking soda to get into the crevices. Either put them in a small amount of vinegar in the sink and then sprinkle the baking soda over it and it will foam up and get them pretty clean. Or sprinkle the bs on the toy and then spray a bit of vinegar on them if you have an empty spray bottle handy. I do this about once a week or so with my kids bath toys. You could dilute some bleach and water also as long as you rinse them really well before he puts them in his mouth.

pritchettzoo
04-07-2004, 02:11 PM
The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! It got black grease (??) off of a Little Tykes toy that 409, Orange Clean, soap, etc. wasn't touching. You could follow with a Clorox wipe for leftover germies.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

DCmommy
04-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks all! Now that he's napping I'm going to try the baking soda and vinegar in the sink (hate to use bleach b/c I KNOW they'll end up in his mouth), followed by a toothbrush to get in the crevices. I clean his toys semi-regularly, but the stuff on these toys is far beyond my usual cleaning regimen. Sometimes I don't know what sellers are thinking!

Megan
Mommy to Patrick, 1/16/03