PDA

View Full Version : When do you stop propping baby up?

s_gosney
04-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Kylee's been sitting up basically unsupported for a few weeks now. I usually put the boppy around her, so that it's there in case she flops, but she really supports herself well. My husband freaks out if she flops back and hits her head on the carpet, but I can't prop her up forever. So when do you stop? I figure that even when she's really good at sitting, she's bound to flop over every now and then. One more thing. The past couple of days, she's taken to throwing herself forward into a crawling position (she can't crawl yet). I assume that you just have to give up and know that some bumps and brusises are inevitable, but I don't want to be a horrible mommy making this assumption. Is there anything I should do to protect her during this phase, or do I just let her develop her mobility issues on her own? Hope this all makes sense and TIA!

vikivoly
04-07-2004, 03:17 PM
I can't remember how old she was, but we quit using the bopping when she was sitting up pretty good. I switched to just having pillows around her, so she had a little more mobility to reach for things. I removed the pillows once she was able to sit for quite some time and when she was able to use her hands to support herself from side to side. (I hope I'm making sense.) This way when she did fall, she was able to break it a bit with her arms.

jubilee
04-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Once DS was sitting fairly well, with only an occassional backflop- I only put a pillow directly behind him. And I always made sure no toys were behind him to crack his head on. If he fell sideways, he wasn't going to bust his head open- but backwards I was real careful.

jesseandgrace
04-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I think it is time to get rid of that bobby! Just put a pillow there, and then when she isn't falling back much the carpet will be fine. They actually don't fall back for long, they learn very fast how to sit without falling. I think some of the bumps come with the territory.

s_gosney
04-09-2004, 12:46 AM
I'm starting to think she's ready to sit sans boppy too. AND, it's definitely time to go toy shopping! She needs some fun sitting up type toys--any recommendations?