PDA

View Full Version : OT: seeking appetizer recipes

aliceinwonderland
04-07-2004, 03:00 PM
We're having some of DH's friends over for dinner Thursday night. I usually make shrimp scampi and stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer, but looking for something different, as I feel like I'm in a cooking rut. So far, I'm making

poached salmon with hollandaise sauce
asparagus with brie
goat cheese potatoes
greek salad

Thanks in advance!

eri and the bean, due in less than 2 weeks :)

Momof3Labs
04-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Entertaining? Planning to make complicated dishes? Sounds like a true recipe for labor, if you ask me! Babies love to foil the best-laid plans!

jojo2324
04-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Eri, I don't know the recipe, but I went to somebody's house once and they had these absolutely scrumptious artichoke things. They were SO good. I think it was simply white bread, with mayo, topped with artichoke hearts? Then baked. Yummy!! Oh, maybe it was cheese, not artichoke hearts. BUT I do know it was a Pampered Chef recipe...Ask Sarah, mamahill. Maybe I am mistaken, but if that's what it was, they were really really yum!!

(Sarah, it was at your friend's house, and she used the baking stone, if that helps jar your memory.)

aliceinwonderland
04-07-2004, 03:15 PM
that would be a nice side-effect...The invitation did contain a disclaimer, so i'm covered. LOL

mamahill
04-07-2004, 05:19 PM
LOL - you have a better memory than I. I just called Kari to see if she knew what you were talking about, and here's the recipe:

6 slices firm white bread
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
3/4 cup (3 oz) shredded fresh parmesan
1/4 C mayo
1 garlic clove, pressed
pitted ripe olive slices (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Cut crusts off bread, and cut each slice into 4 squares. Combine artichokes, 1/2 cup of parm, mayo and garlic. Mix well. Place bread squares on stone (or any sheet). Top each square with the artichoke mixture (use a small scoop, if you have it). Top with olives, if desired, and sprinkle remaining parmesan on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Allrecipes.com has a double tomato brushetta that is REALLY good. I only used about half the olive oil, though, if I recall correctly. Good luck!

jbowman
04-07-2004, 05:31 PM
This may be too similar to other items on your menu, but here is a suggestion (it also seems similar to what Joanne mentioned, but this recipe calls for asparagus):

Asparagus Canapes

1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1/4 lb. feta or blue cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 egg
18 slices white bread, crusts removed
18 asparagus spears, trimmed & blanched
5 tbsp. butter, melted

In a bowl combine cream cheese blue cheese or feta, mayonnaise, and egg; refrigerate. Heat oven to 400. With rolling pin, flatten bread slices. Spread 2 tbsp. cheese mixture on each. Place one asparagus spear on bread, roll up,and slice in half on a diagonal. Place on baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I imagine these would also be good with artichokes. They are easy to make and look impressive--they are always a big hit! I make them with feta.

Also, my husband, my MIL, and I made up this recipe:

Caprese Ke-bobs

cherry/grape tomatoes
mozzarella di bufala (the tiny balls if you can find them)
Italian dressing
fresh basil
long toothpicks
loaf of crusty bread

Slice the tomatoes in half and place the tomatoes and mozzarella (drained) in the Italian dressing. Let marinate for a few hours. When you are ready to assemble the ke-bobs, slice the loaf in half lengthwise and place the two long pieces "soft side" down on a platter (or two). To assemble the ke-bobs: place a piece of tomato on a toothpick, then a piece of mozzarella, and another piece of tomato. Finish by placing a small leaf of basil above the last tomato piece. Push the finished ke-bob into the crusty bread. Repeat until you've used all of the mozzarella/tomatoes/basil. The bread "supports" the ke-babs and it looks really festive! Plus it also looks complicated when no cooking is required!

HTH! Have fun! I cooked up a storm before DD arrived!

ShayleighCarsensMom
04-07-2004, 05:49 PM
WOW- you are probably the only one on this board that is cooking appitizers!
I was thinking frozen chicken nuggets, eggrolls and potstickers, while you're waiting for the velveeta mac and cheese to finish cooking!!!!
I guess I've been a mom too long.
(Oh how I used to love planning the perfect dinner parties, now I just like to get food in the belly before they all meltdown!)
Have fun!

jbowman
04-07-2004, 05:56 PM
BTW--I haven't made these (or much of anything!) since November of last year. LOL--Gourmet to me is Taco Bell nowadays!!!

aliceinwonderland
04-07-2004, 05:59 PM
ok, so maybe this is my swan song. LOL

I am cooking up a storm these days. Have a huge lasagna in the freezer.Will tackle the labor-inducing eggplant parm this weekend!

thanks everyone for the recipes!

eri and the bean, due April 19th :)

Momof3Labs
04-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Nah, once you put out a disclaimer, the baby knows it and will decide to wait. It's much better to schedule something that you HAVE to be at!

kfcboston
04-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Eri -

This one is one of my faves. Really easy and always a hit.

http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/az/FetaCheeseFoldovers.asp

alleyoop
04-07-2004, 07:40 PM
One of the easiest appetizers ever:

Feta with Pepper Honey

2.5 teaspoons black peppercorns
1 pound feta
1/3 cup honey

Crack peppercorns into the honey and mix. Pour over the drained Feta ans serve with crackers.

sbjf
04-07-2004, 10:52 PM
This is a big crowd pleaser!!!

Makes 12 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Serve with warm tortilla chips.

Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, cubed
4 ounces Swiss cheese (about 1 cup packed) shredded
2 ounces Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup) grated
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 (of a 1 ounce) packet dry Italian dressing mix
1 (10 ounce)package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and
squeezed dry
1 (6 ounce) can artichokes, drained and chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a bowl, combine cream
cheese, Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise
and dry dressing mix. Stir in spinach and artichokes.
Transfer to a shallow baking dish and bake for 10
minutes. Remove from oven and stir to combine.
Return to oven and cook another 10 minutes. Serve
warm.

Per serving: 201 calories (percent of calories from
fat, 80), 7 grams protein, 4 grams carbs, 1 gram
fiber, 18 grams fat, 39 milligrams cholesterol, 552
milligrams sodium.

Imperia
04-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Here is one my mom and I made up. They are REALLY bad for you, but good.

1 package of won ton wrappers
1 package of bacon (you could use turkey bacon if you wanted)
1 container of blue cheese crumbles

bowl of water

pan and oil for frying (peanut oil is good for this)

Fry bacon, drain and let cool. Crumble into small pieces.

To assemble:

Take one wrapper, fill with bacon and blue cheese crumbles, wet edges, fold over (in the shape of a triangle, and seal. If you wish you may use a fork to press edges together. (Don't fill them too full!)

When they are all aseembled, heat oil in pan. I use medium to medium high heat (depends a little on your stove). Throw a few won tons ina nd fry until golden brown and crunchy. Remove and drain on paper towels.

They are best hot, but good warm or even a little cold!

I have made these numberous times and they are ALWAYS a hit. There are never any left, yum!

Imperia

Jen in Chicago
04-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Sounds like you have a labor intensive meal, here is my favorite EASY app

Artichoke Dip (AKA a cup a cup a can)
1 cup Mayo
1 cup Parm cheese
1 can artichokes- chopped
Mix together, bake for 20-25 min at 350. Serve with bread and crackers. For a more dramatic presentation add grapes to the platter.

You can always do cheese and fruit.

My latest thing to do is pile on a platter a large variety of fresh vegetables with a few bowls of dip. I have done this a few times at work when the sweets and heavy things are abundant. My platter goes home clean!

Tondi G
04-08-2004, 01:14 PM
I was going to say maybe a spinach artichoke dip but a few people covered that one!

How about a cold appetizer

a fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil plate with french baguette slices

just slice tomatoes and mozz, take fresh basil leaves and cut with scissors over the top.... drizzle with olive oil and some fresh cracked/ground pepper (I like a little sprinkle of salt too!)! Makes a pretty presentation and it's pretty easy to make!

Bruschetta would be nice too... same kind of idea I suppose!

Good luck

~Tondi