PDA

View Full Version : I'm breaking all kinds of laws!

Rachels
04-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Just saw this on another site and it has me giggling out loud. Click on your state to see which laws YOU'RE breaking. Among other things, I'm guilty of crossing the Common without a shotgun to protect me against bears, bathing on Sundays, kissing in front of a church, and about ten others. I want to find a way to break the law which states that it is illegal to have a gorilla in the backseat of any car.

And Alaska has one that says you can't push a moose out of a moving airplane. I'm sure moose everywhere are overjoyed with that safeguard to their health!

http://tinyurl.com/3xabp

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jamsmu
04-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Here are my broken laws... uh oh!

Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue.
No more than two packages of beer at a time may be purchased, unless you are buying from an official "beer distributor".
You may not catch a fish with your hands.
You may not catch a fish by any body part except the mouth.

deborah_r
04-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Those are SO funny! Some of them make a LITTLE sense if you know the area. For example, I can see where the peacock law in Arcadia, CA came from, as there are peacocks running rampant there for some reason! I'm not sure they should always have the right away, but maybe sick people were trying to run them over on purpose.

My city has a law that "No secretary may be alone in a room with her boss." I've got to send that to my DH!
1) I'd LOVE to know the story of why THAT became necessary!
2) I am offended at the wording. Why doesn't it say "No employer/supervisor may be alone in a room with his/her secretary" - the person of authority should be addressed as the person to prevent it from happening.

bluej
04-07-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm not saying I do and I'm not saying I don't, but apparently in MN it's illegal to sleep naked. And just how do they go about finding out who's sleeping naked?

Here's some pretty stupid ones and for the life of me I cannot figure why they exist
-Red cars may not drive down Lake Street
-Hamburgers may not be eaten on Sundays
-You're not allowed to park your elephant on Main Street

Apparently when I move to OH I'll only NIP on Sundays and July 4th since
-Breast feeding is not allowed in public
-No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July

Let me tell you, OH has some real interesting ones.

aliceinwonderland
04-07-2004, 04:18 PM
I thought I had broken my share of laws in MA, but nooo, read Indiana's laws and I am in REAl trouble. I have broken MANY laws while visiting my inlaws...

One of their town laws prohibts making a monkey smoke a cigarette...

Please, noone call the INS!!

peasprout
04-07-2004, 04:27 PM
I haven't broken these, but the ones from Los Angeles are quite funny:

It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent.
You cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.
You may not hunt moths under a street light.
It is illegal to cry on the witness stand.
Toads may not be licked.
It is a crime for dogs to mate within 500 yards of a church. Breaking this law is punishable by a fine of $500 and/or six months in prison.
Zoot suits are prohibited.

ETA: And San Francisco!

Prohibits elephants from strolling down Market Street unless they are on a leash.
It is illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear.
Persons classified as "ugly" may not walk down any street.
It is illegal to pile horse manure more than six feet high on a street corner.
Giving or receiving oral sex is prohibited.

starrynight
04-07-2004, 04:28 PM
I checked all the states we ever lived in or visited and I've broken at least one in all of them.Some of them quite a few :o Guess I'm in trouble! ;)

barbarhow
04-07-2004, 04:28 PM
See what Katie, Susan and I deal with here in Maine???

Shotguns are required to be taken to church in the event of a Native American attack.
You may not step out of a plane in flight.
After January 14th you will be charged a fine for having your Christmas decorations still up.

(A quick look around most of the state and you can tell they don't enforce #3)

Oh yeah-in Portland it is illegal to walk down the street with your shoelaces untied.

This is so funny!

Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

jbowman
04-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Note to self: do not shoot at buffalo from the second floor of a hotel OR urinate on the Alamo in Texas. When I'm visiting my family in Indiana I must remember not to fish with my bare hands (which, by the way, is known as "noodling").

Rachels
04-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Do you think they have much success collecting fines from the dogs?!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
04-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Prohibits elephants from strolling down Market Street unless they are on a leash.

Persons classified as "ugly" may not walk down any street.

It is illegal to pile horse manure more than six feet high on a street corner.

I just have a rap sheet a mile long. What, exactly, is a "housecoat" because chances are, I've driven in it. Shame on me. This is hilarious!

jd11365
04-07-2004, 04:59 PM
I live in the dumbest state in the Union...Florida (2000 election ring a bell?), so I guess I can believe these...

*You may not fart in a public place after 6 P.M. on Thursdays.
*It is considered an offense to shower naked.

I'm guilty of both...

Do you think this is for real?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

trumansmom
04-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Well living in South Dakota, I'm absolutely mortified! I'm going to call my legislator over this one:

"If there are more than 5 Native Americans on your property you may shoot them."

I'm not quite as worried about falling asleep in cheese factory, however.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

deborah_r
04-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Jamie,

ROTFLMAO!!!

I have lost all respect for you now that I know the lawless life you lead!

ShayleighCarsensMom
04-07-2004, 05:44 PM
About 10 years ago, a lady was arrested in my town for snoring too loudly (I'm in CA, so go figure!). I guess she was too loud after the 10 pm curfew!

vikivoly
04-07-2004, 06:00 PM
"It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel. However up to 120 men can live together, without breaking the law."

This is why girls were not permitted to live in their sorority house on campus. Of course the guys were allowed!

sweetbasil
04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
There are a few that, if enforced, would get us in major trouble...

San Antonio: It is illegal for both sexes to flirt or respond to flirtation using the eyes and/or hands.

Problem? I'm pretty sure that's the city where little Charlie was conceived!

Not surprising that Texas has some crazy ones- we learned in Texas history (a required course in our great state!) that we have the oldest constitution in the Union. They've tried scrapping it and making a whole new one, but people here are so tied to tradition that a new one can't get passed in elections. So we keep getting new amendments instead, which I think, make a list that's now longer in length than our state consitution. What a laugh.

starrynight
04-07-2004, 11:52 PM
A 'housecoat' is another name for a bathrobe :). I didn't know that the first time dh said it to me when we were talking about something a long time ago. Anyway that's what his family always called it, maybe it's a regional thing? Although we are both from the same general area so I don't know why I never heard it before I knew him.

Momof3Labs
04-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Hey, U of Illinois grads, did ya know that it is illegal to pee in your neighbor's mouth in Champaign?

And in Chicago, you can't fish while sitting on a giraffe's neck. Darn.

In Moline, you can't ice skate on the pond in June or August. But apparently it is okay in July??

Maybe DH would like to move and be a fireman in Fort Madison, Iowa - firemen are required to practice fire fighting for 15 minutes before attending to a fire.

And let's just say that it looks like we broke more than a few laws while on our honeymoon...

jubilee
04-08-2004, 02:03 AM
I'm in Oregon and break the law daily:

Dishes must drip dry.
Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.
One may not bathe without wearing "suitable clothing," i.e., that which covers one's body from neck to knee.

But I really want to see these lawbreakers:

People may not whistle underwater.
You cannot wear roller skates in restrooms.

Hey, now I have a new list of fun activities for the summer!!

momma_boo
04-08-2004, 10:06 AM
I've had a great laugh reading about everyone's lawlessness!

I have to say though that the #3 dumb law for NJ is what I consider the GREATEST law... You cannot pump your own gas. (NJ and Oregon are the only two states with this law). I don't see why it's so great to pump your own gas, especially when it's 20 degrees outside. When I took my car to college (in MA), my roommate had to take me to the gas station and show me how to pump gas. She couldn't believe I had never pumped gas before.

Oh darn, it's illegal for me to wear a bullet proof vest while committing a murder. Or slurp my soup.