PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ebay item not received

JMarie
04-07-2004, 08:08 PM
I ordered a doll outfit for my niece a couple of weeks ago. I still haven't received it, but while taking Aidan for a walk today, I found one of the shoes that goes with the outfit, just set in the grass by our mailboxes. I emailed the seller and she said it was sent out on 4/1. Now, when I made the purchase, I was worried because she didn't offer insured shipping, but I figured since I've never had any problems, it was no big deal (mind you, I never, ever pay without buying insurance when it's offered...). I just think it must have been delivered and someone else in our condo complex picked it up (we have three or four new neighbors...). I hate to dispute the charge (T.G. I paid with my credit card!), but I don't think it's my fault if the package only made it as far as the mailboxes outside - I still never received it. Any advice? TIA!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

Bethann31
04-07-2004, 08:22 PM
I hate to sound like I'm not supportive, but I think that the seller definitely held up her end of the bargain. She mailed the package and it appears it reached your mailbox. If a neighbor took it out of your mailbox, that is a completely different problem, and it should not be taken out on the seller.

You could have asked her for insurance I suppose.

Beth

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
and Katherine 6/03

Momof3Labs
04-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Under the circumstances, I would not pursue it with the seller. It isn't fair that she should lose the money when she seemed to do her part. Even if a seller doesn't offer insurance, you can ask for it - I've never had anyone refuse it when I wanted it. IMO, it isn't the seller's responsibility that it gets into your hands, it is their responsibility that it gets shipped on time and properly packaged.

It might be worth asking your neighbors if they got a package by accident - maybe someone will fess up! Also, talk to your post office or mail carrier and see if there is anything that they can do.

egoldber
04-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Well, I have to agree with the others. It seems like if the seller mailed the goods as promised in a timely way, then she did her part. Thats one of the risks of using eBay vs a retail store/website.

Asking your neighbors (or maybe putting up a sign?) is a good idea. And the post office. Honestly, you never know what can happen. We had a VERY heavy and VERY expensive package delivered tonight. DH watched the FedEX guy hoist the big box onto his shoulders, lose control of it, and it fell to the ground! So the delivery person could have been a bit lazy, left it exposed and it got blown away, etc.

And I would still contact the seller, and explain what happened. You never know, she may do something for you.

Good luck!

JMarie
04-07-2004, 11:59 PM
> You could have asked her for insurance I suppose.

I guess that is what is really bugging me - I did ask when I emailed her prior to purchasing (it was a Buy it Now, with an immediate payment required) and she emailed back that since she ships priority mail, she found insurance over-doing-it. The auction actually said it wasn't offered, but I tried adding it onto my payment - didn't work. I'm bummed for my niece - not that I can't order another one, but that it won't be here by this weekend. She's two though - I'm pretty sure she won't notice. Thanks!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

jubilee
04-08-2004, 02:08 AM
I would say something to the post office. Also, since you found one of the shoes, is it possible it wasn't a neighbor but a dog or something that ripped open the box? (I only say this because it happened to me once.)

starrynight
04-08-2004, 02:30 PM
I would pursue it because yes she mailed it and yes it got somewhere near your house BUT she refuse to let you buy the insurance you requested so therefor it is her fault that the package got lost, damaged or stolen.

Do you still have that email?

JMarie
04-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Yes, thank goodness. I'm pretty neurotic about saving emails - I actually need to do some computer-housekeeping since it's really getting out of control. Hopefully, we can just work it out and not have to go through Paypal/Ebay/credit card company. I know I'd win if I went through my credit card, but I'd really just rather have the outfit. We'll see if the seller responds to my email...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

Imperia
04-08-2004, 09:12 PM
I always offer insurance, but I know some sellers do not because they say it can be almost impossible to get the post office to actually deal with the situation if something gets lost. So for items that are under $50 most people don't even bother. I am also unsure if the PO is resible (even if it is insured) if the item was safely delivered to your mailbox AND then removed by a third party.

Call the PO and ask if you have any recourse.

Imperia

JMarie
04-13-2004, 08:20 PM
I have emailed the seller now three times asking for tracking information and so far, no response. I offered to acknowledge half of the cost for a replacement because I should have insisted on insurance. Now, I'm just peeved that I haven't even received so much as a "you're crazy - I sent it and you should have it!" I've checked with our post office and carrier, and even she does not recall delivering a package to our complex. Do I dispute through PayPal and my credit card? Do I give her more time to respond? I've never had this happen!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

ShayleighCarsensMom
04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
You can dispute it through paypal & ebay. Paypal will most likely rule on your behalf since it was never received (unless seller can prove that it was mailed)...
good luck.
ETA: You can also ask the seller for a copy of the receipt to prove that it was mailed.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-13-2004, 10:35 PM
You only have 30 days to file the Paypal complaint. You should get your money back from them with no problem, since the seller violated Paypal's rules by shipping without proof of delivery.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03