PDA

View Full Version : OT: long post looking for job advice

phirey
04-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and with everyone's varied backgrounds here (and neutral territory), I'm hoping to get some insight.

Most of you know I'm a PA in OB/GYN. I've been working there just over a year. I took the job because I rotated twice through this practice as a student and learned a lot and really enjoyed all the work I got to do with "Dr. A" during my rotations. I was hired primarily to do surgery and procedures, and a little office work. This is what I wanted -- I excell at surgery and am more comfortable in a hospital environment than in the office. Dr. A has a reputation as a bit of a jerk, but I weighed the pros and cons, and it has never been directed at me so I decided to take the job. I knew I was being underpaid (below the 10th percentile for new grads), but our office had just expanded and had building expenses at the time, and I was their first PA (always had NPs in the past) so I agreed to a lower salary for one year.

In reality, I only get to be in surgery two mornings a week at best, and I spend all the rest of my time in the office doing OB checks, OB workups, and annuals. I do see all the women with bladder problems and perform a procedure called Urodynamics that I'm the only one in the office who can do it/interpret it. There is a ton of angst in the office with the infighting between the nurses (really medical assistants) and even the six doctors are usually at odds over one thing or another. There are also some issues I have about how the practice is run that I'd rather not get in to, we'll just say Dr. A is a bit greedy...

So two weeks ago I got a call from our ER, asking me to apply for an open position there. I am a former Paramedic, so it's a logical jump. The beauty of being a PA is you're trained for everything and you can jump fields like this... :) Anyway, the gist is: only 40 hours a week, no call, flexible schedule. The shifts are 10 am-6 pm and 6 pm to 2 am. This will allow me to see DD a whole lot more, especially if I work more of the evening shift, since she goes to bed around 7-7:30. I'd get to spend the whole day with her! Oh, and one more thing: almost 40% more money. I don't usually care for when people share their $$$ info, but it really helps to see the numbers -- if you don't want to know, stop reading here. I currently make 60K, and the ER position would bring in almost 84K. Too big a difference to ignore.

Although it sounds great, I fear that I'm just playing "the grass is greener" game with myself. As a PA student I initially thought I wanted to go into emergency medicine because of my background. But after my ER rotation, I hated it. PAs usually see all the sniffles and backaches that don't have a primary care doc so they use the ER as one. Also, as a former medic who used to get to call the shots (prehospital) on tough calls like cardiac arrests and major traumas, I thought I couldn't stand idly by as that more challenging stuff went past me in the ER on the way to an MD (as it should). And now, after a year in the realtively non-challenging office environment of OB checks, I fear I've lost the "touch" and would flounder in an ER!!!

So my question is, what to you all think, objectively. Do I stay at a job that, frankly, I'm not really happy in, but is safe, easy, and "the evil I know." Or do I risk it for "the evil I don't know." Keep that salary and ability to see DD more in mind as you answer.

I don't even have the job yet, but I interview Monday and things are looking good so far...

Sorry so long and thanks for sticking with me. Any advice is appreciated.

mommd
04-07-2004, 10:09 PM
It sounds to me that you are leaning heavily toward the ER job and just looking for support for that decision, and I say go for it! You get more time with your DD, more money to buy things for DD, and get to go back to doing emergency medicine. Was your ER rotation at the same hospital as the job? I'm guessing that you wouldn't always be doing mundane things, especially if you take the night shift, since there would more likely be less of the people using the ER as primary care and more actual emergencies. Take the job and good luck! :)

phirey
04-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Oh, I was so conscious of it getting long I forgot to add the biggest part of the problem, which is specifically WHY I'm asking here...

DH and I were planning on TTC starting next month. We have very specific reasons for wanting a new baby next spring, having to do with the fact that DH is probably headed to nurse anesthesia school -- almost defintely in another town only commuting home on weekends -- in 2006, so I want him around as much as possible with a new baby before then. I'm already taking my temp each am and everything. If I stay in OB/GYN the timing still works, in fact my whole practice knows we're about to try again. As an added bonus, I basically get free care/free delivery/unlimited ultrasounds. (We have the 4D ;-) )

If I go to the ER, I probably won't even have insurance coverage for 3 months after I switch, so realistically couldn't even TTC until August or so. And honestly it's really bad form to take a job and immediately announce you're pregnant (hoping it works). We kind of wanted kids spaced closer to 2 rather than 3 years, mostly so there's room for a 3rd after his CRNA school but before I get too long in the tooth...

So yes, I'm leaning toward ER, but I've always had a rule that I WILL NOT LET MY CAREER RUN MY LIFE. I want it the other way, with my career working around my life...but did I mention the 40% raise? :) AAAAAAARUGH!

So does that change any responses?

Thanks for "listening"

houseof3boys
04-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Peggy I hear ya on the grass is greener thing but it really sounds like a better gig for you. I think you getting to spend time with that sweet girl of yours is HUGE and the flexible schedule and not being on call is a plus too. Oh yeah, I guess the money is nice too but that is certainly not the most important thing. If you were really happy at the OB's office you wouldn't be questioning this but it sounds like the politics annoy you anyway.

Go to the interview and see if it is one of those too good to be true situations but I think it sounds like a good move.

As far as the money, I keep thinking about your post about the Kettler as a funky stroller and how the boards have made you buy stuff! Think of all the cute little clothes Margot has and how you could buy more of your Dansko shoes that you love so much! :)

Keep us posted on the job front and best of luck on the interview on Monday Peggy.

pritchettzoo
04-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Well, if the ER sucks, you could stick it out until you find a better OB/GYN job, right? And sock away the extra $$ until then. More money, less time--I don't see how you could lose. Plus, less stress (if the ER is a friendlier environment) could make it easier to conceive.

Good luck and congrats on the opportunity!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Momof3Labs
04-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Peggy, I don't have any magic words but wanted to muse on one of your last comments - about not letting your job run your life. Most of us feel that way, I'm sure, but the reality is that our jobs/careers ARE a big part of our lives. My current job isn't perfect - I'd love to do something else - but the reality is that I can't make more money per hour (I work 24 hours/week) in any other job without going through extensive additional training. And I probably couldn't go into a new career with such a nice part time schedule.

One thing that I wondered when reading your post - what do you plan to do job-wise when #2 is born? When DH goes back to school? Does any of that influence you one way or the other?

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-07-2004, 11:02 PM
I could go on and on...but my cliff note version says it best...

JUMP SHIP...I was afraid to read it paid less and I was ready to tell you to jump ship anyway. You said you love the hospital and many many things you said here make me think this is a "slam dunk"...sure you don't see it yet but honestly you spelled it out sweetie and your decision is made I think!!!!!

Hospitals are far from "safe and easy" but they sure can be a fun place to work that is for sure!!!!

Go for it honey!!!!...keep us posted...how exciting...!!!!!!
Congrats!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

jubilee
04-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Life is too short to work for a jerk doctor. I was a surgery scheduler for a orthopedic "god", and I tell you it's great to not deal with that. Maybe the grass is actually greener in the ER or somewhere else. You deserve to be rewarded for your merits!

Bethann31
04-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Peggy,

I have to agree with everyone else. It really sounds like you want to make the change. Don't ever feel like you have to justify it. GO FOR IT!! If you are TTC, keep TTC. It will be worth it. Yes, it could be sort of bad form to take a job and then announce you are pregnant, but I've had it happen to me twice. If you are as good at what you do as we think you are, there won't be a problem at all!!

Beth

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
and Katherine 6/03

josephmama
04-08-2004, 09:35 AM
I agree, it sounds like you want to jump ship but you're just afraid of the unknown. Well, you KNOW what it's like now, so it sounds like it's worth it to see what else is out there. For more pay, too! And you can see your baby more! And as far as health insurance goes, can you switch to DH's for a few months? (or does he not have any option) or can you get Cobra care if you quit your job? And why doesn't your new health care start the say you take your new job? Can that be negotiated? I say take the chance! If your PA degree is that flexible then what's the loss? If you don't like it then you can get another job in a year- and you can do ANYTHING for a year. Plus you'll get to learn new skills in an ER. Jobs stay fun if you're learning new skills- if you already know everything then you're more likely to get bored and burned out.

Good luck!!!

ddmarsh
04-08-2004, 10:14 AM
I agree with everyone above and just wanted to add that it sounds to me like the pregnancy advantages are more short-term (insurance, extra ultra-sounds) while the advantages offered by the new job are much more of long-term benefit.

Good luck either way!

amp
04-08-2004, 10:41 AM
That's a tough one, but I think I might apply/take the job in the ER. I know you aren't sure you will be happy, but heck, you're not really happy now. And for me, personally, the clincher would be hours that allowed me more time with my child. That would be the dealbreaker every time! And the bonus is, you get more money to boot! I guess if you find you hate it, you can always start looking for a more surgical oriented job later on, but I think it's worth the risk!

ETA: Okay, I just read your update and you said you "wouldn't let your career run your life", but to let your life run your career. Isn't spending time with your child/ren the most inportant thing you can do if you can possibly swing it? That IS letting your life run your career choices! And if you get pregnant right away, it might feel a bit uncomfortable at first, but hey, things happen. It's just part of life and they'll have to deal with it.

khakismom
04-08-2004, 11:48 AM
I agree with everyone else--go for the ER job (which it sounds like you are leaning towards).

I had this very dilemma when we moved here. Found this great job--very safe, OK $$$, new skillset to me but something I could learn and wouldn't be stuck doing overtime or traveling. Told them I was on board. In the meantime, I get a call for an interview in my usual field. I go to the interview breezing thru it because I think, hey I've already got this other job lined up. Well they call me the next day and offer me the position! Much scarier--in my area, but lots of new stuff that I don't know, traditional hours, but the possibility of working late and more than double what the other job was offering.

After 24 hours stewing over it, I took the second job and had to tell the first one that I wasn't going to start. It was hard but it was the opportunity we were looking for when we moved here and I couldn't pass it up. I still love it and don't ever regret my decision.

Good luck!! :)

lizajane
04-08-2004, 11:59 AM
the extra income would allow you to pay for COBRA insurance coverage! go for it! it sounds to me like you really want this ER job. and if you hate your current job, could it really get any worse at the new one, where even if you didn't like it, too, you would be paid a lot more for going there everyday????

lag555
04-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I don't really know what I would do in your position, but I'd like to make two points. First of all, the insurance issue shouldn't really be a factor. Even if you aren't covered for three months, the higher salary will likely make up for what you'd have to pay to cover yourself until your new job's insurance kicks in. Additionally, you'd probably get a good insurance package -- hospitals usually offer great health benefits.

The other point I wanted to make is that, although you will have more time with your daughter because you will be home during the day, don't forget that you'll also be working at night. It probably depends on your temperament and physical capabilities, but I know that it would be really hard for me to work until 2 am and then have patience for a small child during the day.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Aggie

alkagift
04-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Peggy,
With my HR hat on, I say ditch the OB position. If you feel your skills are being squandered with the stress of the internal politics, it is not worth it. I've been there and feeling trapped in a boring position by TTC was super depressing for me...I'm assuming that it could be for you as well. Besides, you don't have to announce to anyone that you're TTC, do you?

The good thing about a larger hospital environment, as I'm sure you know despite the risks of getting the sniffles cases in the ER, is that there are great flex schedules and more contacts you can make in a hospital; that's true for the schedule you've described, but also after you have child #2. In any case, your career would have some options if after a year or two you wanted to make a change out of ER. Obviously hospitals aren't without their politics, of course, but I would think that the opportunities for flexible schedules, training, and exposure to contacts in your field would be great. My last bit of advice is that if you're still conflicted, don't show it on Monday--act committed and enthusiastic! I've turned down so many candidates when they seemed unsure about the job during the interview.

I don't think you should "live for your career" either, but if you're gonna have a career, HAVE FUN!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

jd11365
04-08-2004, 04:28 PM
I am a person who is usually scared of change. However, when a good deal comes along...you gotta jump on it.

The flexible hours are what would get me... Even if it's until 2, you get home at 3 unwind until 4 or 5 and sleep until noon, you have a good 5 hours every day with your little girl...and soon children. I'm would assume that is more awake time than you might have with your hours now, though I don't know.

Also, some people make 24K a year...heck, that is what starting salaries are for teachers in some states...that is just what your raise is...on top of your usual salary. A nice jump if you ask me...and you are worth it.

And I always ask myself, "What's the worst thing that could happen?" You are an experienced, qualified, intelligent professional. You will be snatched up by another practice...if not the one you are thinking of leaving...in a heartbeat if this turns out not to be what you wanted.

As for free care...it's a non-issue. With the raise, you can pay the extra $200 bucks for the 4-D ultrasound, and you WILL have insurance. And getting pregnant right after you take a job is life. Good luck in your decision!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03