PDA

View Full Version : OT- More wedding gift etiquette q's

sugarsnappea
04-08-2004, 08:38 AM
A friend from college recently called to inform us that he was married last month in India. I promptly sent him and his wife a gift in the $50 range from Red Envelope. Yesterday, I received an invitation to a reception to celebrate their marriage. Our whole family (us and 2 kids)is invited and we plan to attend. However, at the bottom of the invitation was a listing of stores where the couple registered. Do I need to buy another gift? I hate to show up empty handed. TIA!

flagger
04-08-2004, 08:56 AM
No you have already sent a gift. Ignore the registry and just show up at the reception if you so desire.

We have never given two gifts to celebrate a wedding or even three for something like the engagement party, the shower and the wedding.

Rachels
04-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Nope! You already sent a gift, and sending a registration announcement in their invitation is bad form.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

momma_boo
04-08-2004, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't get another gift. You've already sent them a wedding gift, attending a post-wedding reception doesn't change that.
I received most of my wedding gifts (the registry stuff) prior to the wedding, so I don't think you should feel awkward about attending "empty handed."

McQ
04-08-2004, 10:12 AM
No need for a second gift. You've already sent something. Your part is done. And besides, a lot of people order off the registry or where ever and have the gifts shipped to the couple. Which means they show up empty handed. So it's not uncommon and it's completely appropriate. Have a good time!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

sugarsnappea
04-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks, and yes, I agree that listing the registries was bad form. I actually never seen someone print it on the invite. I just wondered b/c I usually spend more $ when I attend a wedding. :)

ShayleighCarsensMom
04-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Just to add...proper wedding etiquette also states that you should not bring a gift to the ceremony/reception...all gifts should actually either be shipped or delivered to their house.
So, you did the right thing!
(Ofcourse, when spending so much on a gift, who really wants to pay more to have it shipped???~ Miss Manners drives me nuts!)