PDA

View Full Version : Dimetapp cold and allergy

ohiomom
04-08-2004, 11:40 PM
We started using this for DD's allergy to whatever it is she's allergic to (allergist appt. not for a month)... Does anyone else's child get tired from this medicine? I've been getting home a little later from work, but it seems like she's more tired and cranky since we started using this. I'm home with her tomorrow to better assess. If we need to use this long term, I don't want her feeling groggy all the time! It does seem to be helping to some extent.
Thanks!

Nicole's Mom 7/30/03

amp
04-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Haven't used Dimetapp w/ DS yet, but it makes ME tired! Knocks me out sometimes when I use it. And Benadryl makes DS tired! I assume it's the antihistimine, so Dimetapp, which also has this, can cause it too!

starrynight
04-09-2004, 12:35 AM
A tiny amount of benedryl/dimetap helps my 2yr stop scratching her eczema and sleep at night. But more than that and she is whiny and fussy and sometimes up all night. Maybe try a smaller dosage? With Daria we found out 1/4 of the dose the doc suggested is all she can handle, ex. doc said give 1 tsp for her weight, she can't have more than 1/4 tsp. It keeps my mom up all night also so maybe it's a hereditary thing, I can't take it at all since I'm allergic to it, go figure!!

etwahl
04-09-2004, 08:02 AM
is this what your doctor recommended? we have zyrtec for dd and she gets it every night before bed. it works well and doesn't seem to have any noticeable side effects.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

ohiomom
04-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Yes, and I'm pretty frustrated by the whole thing. I LOVE our doctor (meds peds internal medicine -- was chief resident -- director of the clinic where she works -- both me and mom also go to her...) BUT she's being very conservative with antihistamines since Zyrtec has only formally been studied for short periods of time (7 days accordig to zyrtec website!) in kids under a year and Nicole will need long term from the looks of things. I do have appt. w/peds allergist, whom I figure must have a lot more experience with zyrtec in small kids... DD is typically the sweetest, happiest, joyful child to be around and the last 3 weeks since the allergic reaction started is changing that. She doesn't get medicine when she goes to the babysitters because her nose doesn't run there... and the babysitter just RAVES about how easy, happy, PERFECT she is. I'm miserable when my nose runs too... the Dimetapp seems to help help her runny nose (gushing really), but she's still so fussy and needs to nap more... so I figured it's the med. Benedryl has a different antihistimine in it, but that knocks me out terrible. I can never take it and go to work, for instance.

I guess I just need to stick it out for a month until the appt.

How long has your child taken zyrtec (meaning since what age)?
Thanks!

Nicole's Mom 7/30/03

bluej
04-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Yep, Dimatapp makes my kids sleepy. However, I have a friend who's child gets hyper on it (and then crabby b/c she should be tired but she can't wind down).

etwahl
04-09-2004, 04:16 PM
she was close to a year when she got it.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

SeekerMage
04-10-2004, 02:31 AM
Yeppers my little one gets tired and crabby and clingy when I give it to her.....though I just saw a commercial yesterday that they are now making a non-drowsy formula....Im gonna check it out, but it might be worth a try to see if it helps. Good luck :)

ohiomom
04-10-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm visiting my parents out of state and NO runny nose! and no need for medicine and my sweet little DD is herself again. It was definitely the medicine making her tired and cranky it appears. The best part is they have a cat! So I'm getting more optimistic that this isn't a cat allergy.

The non-drowsy formula is the same active ingredient as claritin... which isn't approved in kids under the age of 2 at this point... but thanks for suggesting!

Too bad we can't just stay here!! (What am I saying!!??!!)