PDA

View Full Version : Easy and Yummy Easter Dinner/Dessert recipes?

daisymommy
04-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Well, looks like my turn is up to host Easter dinner this year. We will be going to church in the morning, and eating about 1 hour after we get home. So I'm trying to think of some things that can be partially prepared ahead of time, then popped into the oven as soon as we get home, and take no more than 1 hour to bake.

I'm buying a HoneyGlazed Ham that just needs to be reheated (these are soooo delicious!). I'm adding green beans, and cresecent rolls, but need a yummy potato dish and dessert idea. Unfortunately my favorite cheddar potato casserole (the typical one with C.O chix soup), DH doesn't like--party pooper! Any other ideas? Any favorite snack foods, or other side dishes you typically serve at your Easter dinner?

Thanks!

daisymommy
04-09-2004, 10:34 PM
BUMP!

kathsmom
04-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Amy,

What about homemade macaroni and cheese? That's always a hit at my house for every holiday. If you don't have a recipe, I can e-mail you my recipe. DH just loves it. DD won't eat any of it, because she loves the good old Kraft Mac and Cheese. Or maybe you could do homemade mashed potatoes?

I don't know if you have a Williams-Sonoma near you, but they have the prettiest Bundt pans (rose, violet, daisy). I bought one that has 12 mini-roses on it. It would make 12 small rose cakes. The others are regular bundt pan size. Oh, they also have one that makes Easter egg cakes (I think you would get 6 or 8 small cakes from the one pan). You could use a bundt cake mix or a regular cake mix and make a pretty cake and sprinkle it with powdered sugar or pour a glaze over it. You could make the cake on Saturday, so you wouldn't have to worry about trying to make it Sunday. While I was in the store getting the mini rose cake pan (along with the Easter-themed pancake molds :) ), they were making tiny crepes with the silver dollar pancake pan. They used a lemon pecan pancake mix and watered it down. When the crepes were done, they filled it with lemon curd, folded it in half, and topped it with boysenberry bliss (I think that was the name of it). It was so light and tasted so good! You might be able to see the pans and some of the cakes if you go to the website.

You could always go to your grocery store bakery to see what they have available. I love our grocery store's key lime pie. DH has asked for Boston Cream Pie for dessert on Easter, since that is his favorite (I have to get Mrs. Smith's! ;) ). Oh, I just thought of another dessert. We went to a dinner at a friend's house and she was a home-ec major and she came up with one of the simplest, but nicest desserts. She had chilled glass dessert plates and had used one of those icing bags to make chocolate swirls on the plates. She put lime sorbet on top of the chocolate swirls and had strawberry halves scattered around the lime sorbet. It was delicious and light and just right after the heavy dinner we had eaten.

HTH and good luck!

jbowman
04-10-2004, 12:18 AM
My mom always makes these potatoes for holiday meals! They are delicious and you can make them ahead of time (a day before) and pop them in the oven. There will not be leftovers!

Patrician Potatoes

8-10 potatoes
1 8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp salt
garlic salt to taste
pepper to taste
paprika
butter, melted

Pare potatoes, cook, and drain. While potatoes are boiling, beat sour cream & cream cheese until fluffy. Add potatoes (one at a time) and beat until smooth. Season to taste with salt, garlic salt, and pepper. Spoon into a 2 qt. casserole, top with melted butter, and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until slightly brown.

*I play around with the amount of sour cream and cream cheese...you can add more to taste. I always use "reduced fat" and the dish tastes the same as with the regular s.c and c.c.

HTH!

jubilee
04-10-2004, 02:47 AM
As for snacks, we have a veggie and dip tray.
For potatoes, you can make mashed potatoes before church, but make them with a *little* extra milk (so they don't dry out) put them in a crockpot on low and they will be fine for a few hours.

millerpjm
04-10-2004, 08:42 AM
My favorite is actually not potatoes, but a broccoli rice au gratin casserole. Here's the recipe:

2 cups minute rice
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 stick butter/margarine
8 oz. jar cheese whiz
1 square pkg or 2/3 bag frozen broccoli

mix it all up and bake at 350 for an hour.

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03