PDA

View Full Version : Tipping etiquette when paying with a gift card at a spa???

aliceinwonderland
04-09-2004, 02:20 PM
I hate these situations...because I am not in them very often ;)

Going to a day spa this weekend (if I'm still pregnant) to utilise a giftcard my husband gave me for my birthday...Do you tip a percentage of the fee in cash to the person providing the service?? I guess that's how it would work, no?? Just making sure I'm doing the correct thing here...

MelissaTC
04-09-2004, 02:24 PM
I recently went to a spa and there were envelopes available to put a tip in so that is what I did. I gave the woman 20% of the cost of the treatment because she did an awesome job and I was really happy with the end results...

new_mommy25
04-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Oh you lucky girl! My DH is clueless about that kind of thing. I would have to straight out ask him for a gift card to a spa and hand him the name and telephone number!

aliceinwonderland
04-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Oh, I am lucky in that respect :)He found the same exact spa I would have chosen if I were to have x amount to spend...

Except that he spends too much money on gifts and such, it stresses me out! But I'll enjoy this one, as this baby is making my rather small frame bend to the breaking point it seems!!!

COElizabeth
04-09-2004, 02:38 PM
I'd ask the staff at the front desk if the gift card amount includes a gratuity - sometimes it does and sometimes not. Enjoy!!!!!!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

JenCA
04-09-2004, 02:59 PM
That's what I would do first. Sometimes people purchase day spa gift cards with a certain amount included to cover the cost of tip(s). If it's a gift, you don't want the recipient to have to pay for anything, right? ;) If the card does not cover the cost of tip(s), you should tip each person who provides you with a service. I usually just tip in one lump sum at the end of the day and then the tip is distributed equally amongst the appropriate staff. Have a great time!