PDA

View Full Version : So, what's it like going on vacation with a 1-year old?

nwaddellr
04-09-2004, 03:03 PM
My husband and I are both college professors (although I only work part-time so I don't have to put my DS in daycare) which means we have our summers off - a nice perk for the job. Well, anyways, the other day, my DH asked me where I wanted to go on vacation this summer. This is really the first summer we'll have a chance to relax, but now we have the complication of a small child.

So, my question to you all is how hard is it to go somewhere with a one-year old? We like to do camping and hiking type things, if that matters. How far could we expect to drive a day? Any common pitfalls to avoid? I'm looking for your insights.

Sarah1
04-09-2004, 03:49 PM
We've traveled a fair amount with DD. At only a year old, I really don't think it's too difficult...as long as you make some effort to accommodate his sleeping and eating schedule. The worst part is schlepping around all the stuff.

So much of it is just having a positive attitude. You'd have to be the judge of how much your baby can handle, since you know him best!

lukkykatt
04-09-2004, 03:50 PM
We like to go on vacations where we pretty much stay put for the week. Easier for us than to try to go a few different places in one trip. So far, we've gone to the mountains and the beach, which were both great for the kids - alot of outdoor activity. Also, I've found it the easiest to stay in a house or a suite in a hotel, over a single room (we did that once and it was a nightmare - but we also have 2). I don't do camping though, so can't comment on that.

We bring DS' blankies, lovie and white noise machine with us, so that we can replicate his home environment as much as possible. If we are driving, we usually don't drive more than 4 hours, but I know plenty of people who do. It mostly depends on what your family style is - kids will pretty much adapt.

Have fun!

marit
04-09-2004, 04:10 PM
We took the most amazing vacation last December with Maya, 11 months old at the time. We went to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico (Cancun area). It was an all inclusive hotel so we had food and drinks for her whenever we needed. The beach and the ocean were unbelievable. She enjoyed the water so much, she even took her first steps on the sand! She took amazingly long naps in her stroller on the beach, I think because of the ocean wind. We relaxed so much and had the best time.

The hotel we went to is called Barcelo Maya in Playa del Carmen (about an hour south of Cancun). One of the best in the area. You can find a lot of info at www.locogringo.com and www.suntrips.com

Have a great vacation!

lizamann
04-09-2004, 04:19 PM
We just got back from the Mayan Riviera with our almost 11 month old on Monday. It was fantastic! We too stayed at an all-inclusive (Grand Flamenco Xcaret), where DD had her first (virgin) daquiri.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4183.jpg

She too loved the beaches and the pool. We didn't really schlep any baby gear other than the carseat and a few slings. She slept in a hotel crib just fine. I highly recommend it!