PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed!!! Should I go to Easter dinner.....

millerpjm
04-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Ok, here's my dilemma... DH, DS and I are supposed to go to my SIL's house for Easter dinner. Normally, this is fine. However, on Monday, DS is going under anesthesia to have his tear ducts unblocked. He needs to be healthy. Well, tonight my MIL called me and told me that my SIL's child has croup. He has been running a fever, raspy cough etc. Knowing this, do I still go to dinner? Or should I stay home to make sure DS doesn't get it? I also should add that this side of the family is *very* much into getting together for all the holidays. Our absence will most definitely be noticed. Am I being selfish for not wanting to expose DS to anything? I am already nervous about the surgery. What would you do???

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

farsk
04-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Jen,

Listen to your own instincts. You already know what to do.

I would not go. My first loyalty is making sure my child is healthy and happy, not the happiness of DH's family!

Good Luck with this and the surgery!

papal
04-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Jen, if it were me, I would not knowingly take dd near a child who has the croup since it is contagious... regardless if there was a dinner involved... is there any way for you to go and leave him with a sitter? i understand that your SIL probably wants your son to be there also, but i am sure she would understand his abscence in lieu of the croup situation in their house.

jubilee
04-10-2004, 02:42 AM
I would call SIL directly and explain doctor's orders are to be healthy before surgery can be performed. Maybe stop by and have DH run in with a little get well/easter gift for the sick kid (and any other kids). You will be known as a great sis-in-law!

millerpjm
04-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the advice.... I know what I wanted to do, but I wasn't sure if I would sound rude for not going. SIL is a doctor, so she understands that I want to keep him healthy for the surgery. I guess I just needed to hear that you guys would do the same thing. I am going to send along his Easter basket with my MIL (SIL is 1 1/2 hours away). Thanks:)

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

Melanie
04-10-2004, 05:05 PM
>I would not go. My first loyalty is making sure my child is
>healthy and happy, not the happiness of DH's family!

Ditto! We ticked off MIL when we wouldn't bring our 6 week old to Thanksgiving. She was staying home with pneumonia but BIL & SFIL were going. They'd been exposed, of course and came down w/ it a few days later. Dh had called the host and they were understanding.

Dcclerk
04-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Should you go? Absolutely not. Give your regrets, and then call while everyone is there and tell them how sorry you are not there to join them. Thomas is the priority now and he just can't be getting sick.

starrynight
04-10-2004, 06:46 PM
If it were me I wouldn't take my kids near any kid that had croup but especially not if they were to have surgery shortly after exposure. I'm sure they will understand if you don't go. Or at least I hope they are for your sake!