PDA

View Full Version : Where to find ginger candy?

egoldber
04-10-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm finding that ginger really helps my nausea, but I'm sick of ginger ale and ginger tea. I know I've read about ginger candy, but I haven't had any luck finding it anywhere around me. Any thoughts?

And any other ginger ideas?

COElizabeth
04-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Altoids has a new ginger version, and DH went through a whole tin of them in just a couple of days. I personally can't stand more than a very little ginger at a time, so I am sure the Altoids would be too strong for me, but they might help you, and you should be able to find them at Target or a grocery store.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

cchavez
04-10-2004, 03:43 PM
My local baby depot has preggo pops. We also have a store similar to whole foods that carries Ginger drops. So you might try whole foods or Trader joes...hth

Kate888
04-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Have you tried Japanese or Chinese grocery stores? I've seen ginger candy there. It's usually in a small box and the soft candy is individually wrapped in rice paper. It's pretty tasty actually. LMK if you have a hard time finding it. I'll go check our local stores for you.

HTH :)

Edited to add a few links:

The Tin Tin Jahe Ginger Chew is the one I just mentioned.
http://www.roxytrading.com/pages/health_ginger.asp

Other ginger candy:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/prdSell_1.asp?ProdGroupID=301&sourceid=sinceptor&flgCookiesEnabled=TRUE

http://www.addedtouchstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6533U&S=OV&OVRAW=ginger%20candy&OVKEY=ginger%20candy&OVMTC=standard

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

pritchettzoo
04-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Look in the spice section of the grocery store for crystallized ginger. We have some "Spice Hunter" brand (glass bottle w/ green plastic lid), but there are others.

If you want some Preggie Pops, my mom ordered a case for me and they didn't do squat, so I've got lots leftover! PM me if you want some.

I hope you feel better soon!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

partyof5
04-10-2004, 03:56 PM
MMMM, ginger candy! Brings back memories since it was the only thing that helped with my nausea during all 3 pregnancies besides red Panda brand licorice. You can order ginger candy from http://www.gingerpeople.com/index.html. This is the same ginger candy that I used to buy at Whole Foods when I was pregnant. Happy eating!

~Cindy mommy to...
Isabella (11/1999)
Sophia (10/2001)
Ethan (4/2003)

sadie427
04-10-2004, 03:57 PM
I tried candied ginger for my morning sickness (I think this is a little different than ginger candy, it's the actual root preserved in sugar.) I got it in a grocery store in Chinatown in the candy/cookie section. I imagine any asian grocery would have it, if there's one near you. The candy that actually helped me more was very sour lemon or other citrus drops, like Altoid lemon or tangerine drops. HTH!

Marisa6826
04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Beth-

I saw it in Whole Foods yesterday. It was by the sugar.

Have you tried sniffing some lemon slices? What about munching on ginger snaps?

Feel better ;)

-m

chrissyhowie
04-11-2004, 01:01 AM
While it's on the pricey side, Williams Sonoma's crystallized ginger is soooo delicious:
http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=srki1%7Cwcrystallized%5Csginger%2Fhme% 2Fhme&skus=47266&pkey=sa0s10crystallized%2Cginger&cmsrc=sch

I'm a ginger fanatic though and could probably eat at least 1/3 of the entire can in one sitting if I let myself :9. Great for baking too and keeps really well in the fridge.

The chewy ginger candies that Kate (Kate888) mentioned above are delicious too.

sbjf
04-11-2004, 01:08 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned GINGER SNAP COOKIES yet!!!!! They are so good and it says right on the label that they are good for upset stomaches.

I don't usually have them, but my grandmother was visiting 2 weeks ago and she brought some with her. They were store bought and packaged in a clear, round plastic tub with a lid on it. But I know all the grocery store probably carry several different brands. Her's were really tasty, and I loved the smell of them.

urquie
04-11-2004, 01:13 AM
ginger candy is great for morning sickness or any kind of nausea!!!! i found it to be way more effective than any other form of ginger (especially ginger pills taken for sea sickness)... it seems to work immediately. i've always found it at asian grocery stores or trader joe's. i hope you like spicy cuz it has a kick. and i much prefer the chewy ginger candy to crystallized ginger.

ginger snaps can be a nice change of pace. or sometimes i will just open up a bottle of ginger essential oil and sniff deeply (i keep one in the car) maybe putting a dab on my nose. good luck!

hellosmiletoday
04-11-2004, 01:47 AM
I second the ginger snaps. I discovered them at Cracker barrel, but those are a bit spicy, so then DH found some at the grocery store. The mix of carbs and ginger really helped my morning sickness....I went through several boxes and brands. Ginger ale never helped...I remember reading that most varieties aren't made out of real ginger, and I havent been able to tolerate anything carbonated since I was 6 wks pregnant....cant drink soda even now (at 34 wks).

After my morning sickness subsided, I spotted ginger candy at William Sonoma and some specialty food stores, but never actually tried them.

Momof3Labs
04-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Very sour candies did the trick for me - I went through a lot of lemon drops while I was pg! Too bad the Altoids sour candies didn't come out until long after Colin was born.

shishamo
04-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Do you have Trader Joe's near you? They have a ginger candy (very very ginger-y) and a ginger gummy bear. They worked for me!

AvasMama
04-11-2004, 11:44 AM
I went a little nuts when I was pregnant and ordered a case (yes, a CASE) of Ginger Altoids on eBay (brand new, all sealed up). Of course, I only went through a few tins and I have tons left. I would be happy to mail you a tin or two if you like -- just send me a PM!

Also, didn't work for me, but several friends swore by Altoids Citrus Sours.

Robyn & Ava (1-15-04)

new_mommy25
04-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Trader Joes has awesome ginger candy! I think it's called crystalized ginger. Other than that, China Town is great.

Jen in Chicago
04-12-2004, 12:04 PM
My Mom loves the Ginger Altoids, they sell them at Trader Joe's.

kransden
04-12-2004, 12:15 PM
You can get crystalized ginger in the spice section of your grocery store. My dh is a ginger hound and loves it. Also do you have a World Market/Costs Plus store nearby? I bought my dh a bunch of different ginger candies there for his Xmas stocking.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

parkersmama
04-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Beth,
I used GinGins ginger candy from www.gingerpeople.com when I was pg with Amy Grace. They are hard candy (which I find easier to deal with when suffering from MS). They worked really well and were quite tasty. Some people think they are spicy but they didn't bother me a bit. My SIL got them for me at the co-op where they shop but we also saw them at Whole Foods.

egoldber
04-12-2004, 03:03 PM
OMG! Thank you for suggesting the Citrus Sour Altoids! I looked for the ginger altoids in the supermarket today, and they didn't have them, but they had the citrus ones. And they are working like a charm!!!! Thank you!!!

Jeanmick
04-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Just saw this on the Yahoo website:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040412/hl_nm/ginger_morningsickness_dc_1