PDA

View Full Version : Coupons - where do you find them?

jojo2324
04-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Maybe I'm missing the train somewhere, but I think most coupons stink. They only come in the Sunday paper, and it's always "Buy 4 boxes of Rice Chex and save 0.25." Or, Campbell's Supper Bakes, or butter spread, or Mr Clean. I need coupons for things like MEAT, EGGS, MILK. Do they exist? I don't have any use for the coupons I find out there. Am I looking in the wrong place?

PS - I have seen coupons for Shadybrook Farms (they make turkey products), but those are always on the packages. And I understand milk is a government regulated product, so I don't expect coupons for that. I just need them for the basics.

egoldber
04-10-2004, 09:21 PM
This is why I don't use many coupons! I mainly use them for detergents, cleaning products and diapers. Not too many coupons out there for produce, meat and dairy...

slknight
04-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I don't think you're missing anything. Most of the coupons are for nasty processed foods that are more expensive anyway. I think I've seen egg coupons, but they are usually for organic ones. I almost never cut coupons either. The only coupons I really like are the ones for Cheerios. :-)

ppshah
04-10-2004, 11:38 PM
I think for those types of foods you just have to check the sales. We just buy whatever produce, seafood, delimeat is on sale. It's easier that way too...no cutting coupons! The only coupons I have is for baby stuff- diapers wipes etc.

jubilee
04-12-2004, 01:52 AM
I've not found coupons on basic items either... in fact I rarely use coupons because I buy generic whenever possible which is normally cheaper than buying namebrand and using a coupon.

hwin708
04-12-2004, 02:11 AM
While it is harder to find coupons for these sort of things, it is definitely possible.
As the other poster mentioned, the best place to look is the store flyers, as they often have good deals on these sorts of things. For instance, one of my local grocery stores had a deal over easter where you got free eggs if you purchased two other products on their list - which included milk.
If you don't get all the circulars for your stores, here is a website that has them online:
http://www.sundaysaver.com
Also, a good website to check out for deals is the fatwallet forum:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/categories.php?catid=57
You can post your question, or just read the boards.
Another thing to remember are the coupons that the register spits out on the back of your receipt. A few weeks ago, there were $2 off any produce purchase. The pros in the fatwallet forums can even tell what items to purchase to cause these coupons to spit out.
HTH!

barbarhow
04-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Joanne-If your grocery store sells wine-go down the wine aisles. In our Shaws the wine manufacturers frequently put coupons on the bottles of wine for $1-$2.00 off on meat, chicken and seafood. The use of the coupon does not require the purchase of the wine. Most people think it does so they don't get used. I always scout the aisles for those coupons. (I do drink the wine, too.)
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

nola
04-13-2004, 03:13 PM
No your not missing anything. I get mine from the Sunday paper, and skip all of the items that are for individually packaged junk food and the like. I use coupons for toothbrushes, salad dressing, laundry detergent, deoderant, hair spray, shampoo, my favorite kind of lipstick -you get the idea. I also get frozen junk meals like pot pies or stoffer's Mac&Cheese, but these are items I know my family loves - and they are worth having for the night when we really don't want to cook and wash up. I save them until the items go on sale at Longs, RiteAid, or Safeway - usually it is happening simultaneously. I feel extremely satisfied. My husband thinks I am a (loveable)nutcase. There is a case to be made that the effort I put into it out weighs the money I save (I work outside the home). It might not be truly practical. But I am always surprised how much I save (say, $5-$8), and I figure if I enjoy it anyway - why not?
Edit to add: Milk, bread, yogurt, orange juice and eggs... The prices are so good at Costco. I was thinking about approaching my neighbor family about going in together on these Costco items.
N

brubeck
04-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Joanne I'm not sure this counts but today I clipped a coupon on the back of my Oreos bag: Buy Oreos and get $1.00 off a gallon of milk! :)

I think the reason that there are no coupons on the things you mention is that they are items people usually do not buy by brand name. Other products that have more 'brand loyalty' tend to try and lure consumers away with coupons.