PDA

View Full Version : What do contractions feel like?? Everyone I ask has a (slightly) different version

aliceinwonderland
04-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Just curious...I guess I'll find out soon enough. But recently (yesterday and today), I've had some sharp, tightening pains in the lower part of my (huge) belly...They are not patterned, but they do come and go on their own...I seem to get them more while standing, walking, then when I'm sitting down...
What was your experince?? Were they always so easy to classify and "number"??

wishful thinking, I know...This body is really getting too smal for the two of us...

eri and the bean, due April 19th (follow the light buddy) :) :)

FYI:
pedicures (even vigorous ones)
Raspberry Leaf Tea
Indian Food
LOTS of walking, grocery bag lifting, cooking, etc
DO NOT WORK FOR ME!! (i tried all of the above in the last 48 hrs). LOL

Marisa6826
04-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Sounds like you're still getting Braxton Hicks and not the hard-core ones. Doesn't mean that they're not doing their job and changing your cervix though. Have you called your OB? Are you still feeling the Bean move around?

If they stop after you pee and lay on your left side, then they're BHs.

Have you lost that wonderful "plug"? FYI - think a glob of rubber cement :P

-m

jojo2324
04-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Eri, MAKE that eggplant parm!! I'm telling you, two hours later, I was in labor. :)

I agree with Marisa, it sounds like BH. Just rest. Rest rest rest rest rest. Put those aching feet up.

Otherwise, my contractions felt like the most bitchin' cramps on the planet. But much worse. And the plug is scary - does anybody remember that thread where somebody posted a link to a picture? LOL. :)

Follow the light buddy!!

aliceinwonderland
04-10-2004, 09:46 PM
LOL--The mucus plug must be intact, but I've never in my life been so interested in used toilet paper. LOL. I hate this "something will happen soon, but my body doesn't seem to have gotten the message yet!"
Haven't bothered my OB yet--for my sake, so I don't get my hopes up and all.
The bean is moving, but he's not nearly as active as he used to be...Sometimes I have to push him a little!!

eri

PS. I don't feel THAT bad, I'm just selfish and impatient (no strech marks yet, I want to keep it that way, but the way the scale is going, ugh!!

pritchettzoo
04-10-2004, 11:00 PM
LOL on the mucus plug. I had a TMI post about that! In my crazed research, I actually found some woman's post on another site who took a freaking picture of hers!

I had Braxton-Hicks contractions when I walked around--at one point, they were strong and every 5 minutes. Once I sat or laid down, they would ease up. The BHs at their strongest felt similar to the contractions I had on pitocin, but I don't think I ever "went into labor," so that could be utterly useless info.

And if you don't have stretch marks yet, you're probably safe.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

JElaineB
04-10-2004, 11:20 PM
I never had BH contractions, and the only contractions I *did* have were pitocin-induced. So I don't know how useful I can be! But I agree with Joanne, they felt let mega-bad menstrual cramps. The worst menstrual cramps possible. They start not too bad, then climb up to a peak of crampiness, then go back down. They go away for a bit, then repeat.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

mharling
04-10-2004, 11:25 PM
I was the same as you, Jennifer; no BH and no 'natural' contractions.

I would say that my contractions were equivalent to my worst menstrual cramps X 10. I think you'll know when they're the real thing. ;)

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

mamahill
04-10-2004, 11:51 PM
I think the mucus plug is a cruel joke. I didn't lose mine till I was at a 7 or something. And even then, I wasn't sure that was it. I actually called DH into the bathroom and stood their pointing and asking, "Is THAT it?!"

It sounds like you're having BHs. Believe me, once it becomes regular and you can't talk through it, you'll know it's time to head to the hospital. I was told that if you're moving around and you get contractions, then lay down. If they go away - false alarm (really?!). Same with if you're laying down and get them - stand up and walk around. Drink a glass of water. If they stop, then it's a false alarm. This, too, is a cruel game to play on the uncomfortable waiting mother-to-be. But you have to get to the point where you're willing to push the baby out your nose to get it over with. Otherwise, nobody in their right mind would embark on childbirth. Oh wait, who IS in their right mind around week 38?! LOL.

JLiebCamm
04-11-2004, 12:50 AM
My contractions actually felt like bad gas pains, the type that are only relieved in the bathroom, KWIM? They started in the middle of the night and after 3 unsuccessful visits to the toilet it occurred to me that these pains seemed to be coming on and easing up in a pattern. So I started to time them, realized that they indeed were occuring every 5 minutes, woke up DH, and the rest is history! As my labor progressed, the pain and pressure remained in my backside and the feeling of wanting to sit on the toilet got worse and worse. I guess it must have been the position of DS and where he was putting pressure.

urquie
04-11-2004, 01:32 AM
i've been having bh contractions for 2 months now. i just stopped taking my anti-contraction meds (i'm due april 26th, far enough along to be safe!!!) and am getting them way more often now. they are pretty random in frequency and duration (sometimes one will last a looong time) but often related to my moving around a lot. my cnm said to drink lots of water to calm down my uterus.

there is a gas relief commercial where three ladies have their stomachs/shirts get super inflated... that is how some of my bhc feel - really big and tight. although sometimes i have to feel all around my belly to see if its uniformly hard or if dd is just stretching!

Vajrastorm
04-11-2004, 01:47 AM
Oh man, now I'm feeling all nostalgic. I loved labor and giving birth. (I know, Im crazy!)

My BH progressed steadily over time, becoming more regular as the last weeks went by, seamlessly "turning into" real contractions. I tend to think of a contraction as a contraction, because I never really could tell where the BH's left off and the labor contractions started.

I don't think I lost my mucous plug until I was past 7 cms dilated and in the tub.

Rachels
04-11-2004, 09:09 AM
How are you doing today, Eri?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jd11365
04-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Lay your hand flat as low below your belly you can go. Right there is where I felt my contractions...the hard ones. They were sharp menstrual cramps...so tight you felt them in your back. Felt them for 4 hours before the angel came in and gave me the blessed epidural. You sound like you are having BH...which I actually thought felt good.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

american_mama
04-11-2004, 10:42 AM
I had very normal Braxton hicks contractions for a month or two before birth. However, I was not quick at recognizing when I started having real contractions, especially identifying a clear beginning and end. I was a little irritated by that. Even my sister when she was beginning labor with baby #4 wondered, "Well, is this it?" Sure, eventually you can't miss a contraction, but for that first hour or two for me at home, I couldn't tell.

Not to be Pollyanna, but your baby will be born within a week or two, guaranteed, so I'd focus on how everything is right with your body and baby right now rather than waiting for it all to be over. Can you do something that will actually let you savor your last few days of life pre-baby? Like a movie - maybe a decadent matinee, or a haircut (won't have time for that for a few weeks, and you'll be taking more photos in those weeks than you did on your wedding day), a pregnancy massage, a dessert fest (neither nutrition nor weight gain matters now), dinner out with hubby, dancing with hubby (don't laugh - it'll be YEARS before you do that again). Girl's night out? A swim? Bouyancy really makes your preggers body feel light again. A tan? Whatever you love to do that you suspect you won't have time for once baby is here.

Good luck. You have a great sense of humor, and that is wonderful for labor, the first few days of baby, and all the great storytelling afterwards!

Karen
Amara 3/19/02

trumansmom
04-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Just sending happy labor thoughts your way. I agree with everyone that they do sound like BH. No fun. My rule of thumb is if my contractions still hurt through a warm bath and/or 2 tylenol, then they are the real thing. Otherwise, they're just prep.

And as far as that stupid, disgusting mucous plug goes, some of us get our hopes up and lose it WEEKS in advance. At around 36-37 with DS, and about the same time this time, even though it's been more of a continual thing with just one larger blob. (How gross is this discussion?! I truly understand why we don't have more men on this board!!)

Good luck, Eri!! You are so close!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

peasprout
04-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Contractions for me felt like bad cramps combined with gas. Or like someone stuck a fork in your stomach, then slowly twisted it around before pulling it out! I'm still waiting too,...I'm five days overdue and feeling like I'm going to stay pregnant forever. And this is my second! DD was 8 days early. My plug came out two weeks ago so I know how hard it is to think you're close and not feel any different as each day goes by.
I agree with the other posters though,...enjoy this time. Even though I'm already "limited" in where I can go since I have a toddler, I'm trying to enjoy every second of alone time with her. You will have plenty of sleepless nights ahead so enjoy them now!
:)

aliceinwonderland
04-11-2004, 03:33 PM
I've had a very "quiet" day today. Nothing like last night. Slept fine, and all that. My DH said "You must be wanting to go in so bad, you're probably imagining contractions". Yeah, like I imagined being pregnant about 9 months ago! (he said something similar before we got the positive test)

So yea, not the real thing...

Back to take another nap now. This baby is just as stubborn as his father and I, I've given up reasoning with him...

PS. It's gotten to the point that friends accros the country (and around the world) have started to think something must have happened by now, and have been calling/emailing me. Nice, but I'm sorry to disappoint that I haven't quite delivered yet (no pun intended). LOL
Even the manicure lady was wrong in her prediction. I think the bean is laughing in there. :) :)

Thanks everyone:)

Imperia
04-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Don't worry,

I promise you won't be pregnant forever. I wasn't even much overdue at all and people kept asking me, "Haven't you had that baby yet?"
"When are you going to have that baby?" "Aren't you sick of being pregnant?" etc etc

I can't wait to hear about your little one's arrival.

Good luck,

Imperia

lizajane
04-11-2004, 10:16 PM
ok, if you are not in labor yet, SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX!!!!! LOL!!

my plug vanished into thin air. gone by 37 weeks. just vanished. never "passed" it.

i think bill cosby described it best when he said that his wife explained labor to him by pulling his bottom lip out and then over his head. (i think it was in bill cosby's "himself.")

menstrual cramps my a$$. my contractions felt like i was going to DIE. like someone was trying to kill me from the inside out. i puked it hurt so bad. i was desperate to go to the hospital i was in so much pain. i was terrifed about why it hurt so bad. (felt better after the puking, and then i wasn't terrified anymore.)

of course, my 9.5 lbs baby was at a -1 station before i was even 3cm dilated, so that big boy was trying to GET OUT before i was barely dialted at all...

here's how i made the decision to get the epidural at 3cms... the dr said "when you remember the pain, this isn't going to be it." and i told my husband that i couldn't do anymore than that. bam. epidural 10 minutes later. best decision i ever made! because when it wore off, i started puking again. (they fixed it, thank goodness!)

i get so mad when people say that they didn't need the epidural because contractions felt like bad menstrual cramps. well, golly! if mine felt like menstrual cramps, i woudn't have needed it either! duh!!!

ShayleighCarsensMom
04-12-2004, 01:54 AM
Oh, I forgot about that......people would call here all day, and if we didnt answer the phone it was always "oh you must be in labor!!!"
Nothing worse than those phone calls in my opinion...."why havent you had the baby yet? Aren't you getting uncomfortable????"
AUGHHHHHH!!!!
Glad those days are over (although I'd love to be pregnant again!)

Imperia
04-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Liza,

LOL about the menstrual cramp comparison, they hurt A LOT more than that ( And I have had really bad menstrual cramps).

I threw up during labour as well, probably from the pain. My DH told me I projectile vomited, yay! Just what I want to remember.

YOu know what I think labour felt like (at leats for me) KIDNEY STONES. I have had kidney stones 3 times seriously (had to go to the ER) and IMO it felt quite similar. I would rather be in labour any day though since I got a beutiful DD out of it ratehr than a stupid little kidney stone =D

Imperia

jubilee
04-12-2004, 03:48 AM
With my second pregnancy I asked the same question. Now since I had already gone through one pregnancy you would think I would know what the labor pains felt like- but with my first I had back labor and didn't feel the uterine contractions like a normal labor would. With my second I felt odd twinges, sometimes many of them within an hour. In fact when I went in to be induced, the nurse laughed and told me I was already in labor with contractions five minutes apart. I was shocked- I thought it was the baby kicking!! One thing is sure though, you will know when the contractions are worth going into the hospital though- those are unmistakable.

aliceinwonderland
04-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Talk about a freak-out. Didn't feel the baby move for like 5 hrs or so. Even took a bath, he ALWAYS moves when I'm in the tub. Nothing. On top of it, my belly got really hard (like during a BH) and stayed that way. I kept pushing him (ALWAYS responds), but nothing.
So I take a cab into the hospital. Crying all the way there. Once they put the monitoring thing in, they find the heartbeat RIGHT away. That has got to be the most reassuring sound on earth...

Anyway, they also monitor for contractions, I guess, and the nurse said I was having small, non "real" ones...I felt nothing. I wish I had asked her more about the use of these "non real" contractions, but I was just happily looking at my baby's heartbeat pounding away.

I'm doing just fine now. This is a very interesting journey, that's for sure

eri and the bean, due next Monday :)

trumansmom
04-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Well, you just went through another rite of passage on the way to motherhood! :) I had one of those fun little trips a couple of weeks ago, and one exactly one week to the day before DS was born.

I'm really feeling for you. The last couple of weeks are so, so hard.

And my "impending labor" signs have been a cruel joke. This kid isn't in a hurry either. Oh well.

Jeanne

papal
04-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Oh Eri! Just one more week to go for your due date! How exciting. The bean must have been taking a nice nap in preparation for his journey next week, and there you are prodding him and taking him to the hospital! LOL. He must be wondering what his mom is upto, taking cab rides in the middle of the night! :)
I know what you mean about panicking when you don't feel the baby move in a while...next time you should get one of those BabyBeat things... i listened to the heartbeat with it everyday.. just so darn reassuring!!! I am glad everything is fine... take lots of rest this week mama!

aliceinwonderland
04-12-2004, 11:53 AM
I hear ya on the cruel jokes...LOL. Pains and aches and effacement all over the place. It means absolutely nothing, our babies are in no rush, it seems :)

are you feeling ok, at least? I feel pretty good, except "played" by this little one...LOL, I guess I better get used to that!

trumansmom
04-12-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm feeling okay. Just very, very, very emotional and crabby. My poor DH has really been amazing taking all the horrible things that keep coming out of my mouth.

Things I've yelled at him about:

1) No onion in the pot roast. (The man cooked me a pot roast, and I yelled about no onion!)
2) Wrong flavor of ice cream.
3) He put away DS's clothes wrong.
4) He bought Ritz instead of Townhouse crackers.
5) He scratched his arm too loudly.
6) He's yawning too much.
7) He wanted to watch a documentary instead of the Nick and Jessica Variety Show.(The fact that I wanted to watch that is absolute proof that I've lost all contact with reality!!)
8) He wanted DS to wear his old tennis shoes instead of his new ones.

Get the picture? I've gone over the edge.

However, DS can do no wrong! Great things he's done lately:

1) Refused to get out of bed this morning because, "No! Cuddle more with Mommy!"
2) After playing all afternoon with his 6 and 10 year old cousins came home and announced, "Truman's a big boy! Played with big boys!"
3) Has suddenly become fixated on manners. ALWAYS says thank you, please, and excuse me. (I'm sure it's a phase!)
4) Yelled at my belly, "Baby come out!" :)

Jeanne

aliceinwonderland
04-12-2004, 12:59 PM
LOL!!! How can one scratch their arm too loudly!! You crack me up!!

Truman is a wise little man!!

"do come out, baby!!"

Chelsey333
04-12-2004, 01:58 PM
When I first went into labor, I couldn't tell if they were for real. They started Monday night at 6pm and I had the baby Wed at 6pm. Monday night and Tues day they were uncomfortable but not too painful, and I still wasn't sure if they were real. Until Tues night at about 8pm, they kicked in hard. So they could be real labor pains, if they don't stop and continue throughout the day/night, you might be on your way. But once it really kicks in, you will know it is real labor. About the stretch marks, sometimes you don't realize you have any until after the baby is born. But they would probably be faint if you did have any, whereas you don't see any marks now. Good luck!

hez
04-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Glad you and the bean :) are OK! Sending positive labor vibes to those of you mommies with impending due dates!!!

Oh-- and Eri, I'm sending my friend out there to run the marathon next Monday, so don't run over him with your cab, OK?!

aliceinwonderland
04-12-2004, 03:30 PM
I'll try...But I have learned that with Boston taxi drivers, one cannot promise anything!!

momathome
04-12-2004, 04:36 PM
We were living in Boston when I had Liza and she was born at Beth Israel/Deaconess Medical Center. Just curious?
-Lauren

aliceinwonderland
04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
At Brigham and Womens...

If I ever deliver, that is :)

momathome
04-12-2004, 09:07 PM
My SIL had her baby there and had a very good experience - I went to college right across the street from there at Wheelock College - it's a nice area! Best of luck to you on an easy delivery!
-Lauren

JElaineB
04-12-2004, 09:33 PM
I was born at Brigham and Womens! Best of luck whenever the bean decides to come out!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02