PDA

View Full Version : Preggo friend with sinus "issues"... help

abigailsmom
04-11-2004, 03:40 AM
my friend is itty bitty pregnant and is having a hell of a time with her sinuses, allergies, etc that stems from living in pollen covered Georgia. She wanted to know if there is anything that she can so or take that is not harmful. Her OB told her Tylenol brand products, but she is afraid of the warning label on it about pregnant & breastfeeding women. Any helpful hints, remedies, or anything would be appreciated!!!

TIA!

sbjf
04-11-2004, 07:13 AM
I'm in pollen covered Georgia as well and although I'm not a mess from allergies I do feel them and wish I could take something as well.

My symptoms are itchy face, itcy/sneezy nose, itchy/irritated eyes. I wear contact lenses and have discovered a great homeopathic/natural eye drop that my eye dr. introduced me to, I can use them even WITH my contact lenses in which is great. Even if you don't have contacts though these drops are excellent for allergy relief either way.

They are called Similasan and the are even sold at Eckerd drug stores (like CVS). Here is a link to the product picture/info. http://www.mellenmedical.com/simalasin/similasan_eye_drops1.htm

While I was getting these drops the other day I did ask the pharmacist if there was anything I could take (I'm still pg myself), to alleviate my allergy symptoms and he said that the only thing the doc's approve are NON antihistamines. Basically, just like you wrote, Tylenol products, Sudafed cold tablets, stuff that may help with drainage but not necessarily the itchiness.

My advice is to remind your friend to just wash her hands a lot, don't touch her face with her hands (pollen is on them probably). Stay indoors a lot. In the car have the a/c - vent on inside car circulation only.

It's raining tonight so this will help too. Luckily I THINK we are just about out of the harshest pollen season.

Momof3Labs
04-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Benadryl is safe, but may not relieve all of her symptoms.

phirey
04-11-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm in GA, too and currently working in OB (although not for long I hope -- thanks guys!). For those who don't know about spring in GA, the pollen count has been over 5000 in the past few weeks and literally EVERYTHING is covered in a fine yellow powder -- pollen. UGH!

Claritin, Claritin-D, Tavist, and Benadryl are all over-the-counter meds in Pregnancy Category B, which is the same category that Tylenol is in. We consider it to be safe in pregnancy. Sudafed is actually in Category C, but most OBs endorse it, too. I tell all my patients to try those first.

The primary reason that many of the warnings are on decongestants actually affect nusring moms more. They may dry up your nose, but they can also dry up your milk. Not an issue with early pregnancy! I still encourage anyone taking a lot of decongestants to make sure they drink plenty of fluids, especially pregnant patients.

HTH,

egoldber
04-12-2004, 03:07 PM
My OBs in CA and VA have both approved my taking Claritin while pregnant. I'm taking it now. I would be incredibly miserable without it, and I don't need that.

HTH,