PDA

View Full Version : What did you find to be the best labor positions to deal w/the pain & speed things up?

Chelsey333
04-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I am due in 4 wks w/my 2nd. I labored a while with my first and this time I am hoping it will go quicker. Did any of you find certain positions (while you are still at home) that made labor proceed quicker? Or any good tips for easing the pain a bit? I wondered if taking a shower would help w/pain, but wondered if it would slow things down. Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-12-2004, 02:23 PM
I was most comfortable sitting in a tailor-sit position. I sat in my reclining chaise chair, with my knees out and my heels together.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

redhookmom
04-12-2004, 02:26 PM
My first labor was about 50hrs., my second 20hrs.

I wanted to stay at home as long as I possibly could the second time. I found being in the bath/shower the most comfortable. I think I was in there for about 3hrs.

The nurses in the hospital also suggested the shower. I can't see how it could slow anythig down. IMO it might help things go quicker. Since you are standing and maybe a bit more relaxed.

Chelsey333
04-12-2004, 02:47 PM
When you say 50 hrs and 20 hrs, are we talking hard labor pains? That is long!! I started contractions w/my ds on a MOnday at 6pm and had him on Wed at 6pm - but the first 24 hours were painful, but not deadly (like the last 24 were). 50 hours is a long long time, ouch!

redhookmom
04-12-2004, 06:03 PM
No, active labor was not 50hrs! Could you imagine... Like you, active deadly labor was for about 24hrs. I was soooo afraid of a long labor the 2nd time. When I finally went to the hospital I was so afraid they were going to say "well, you are at about a 2." I was at 6, it was faster the 2nd time, for me.

american_mama
04-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Showers and baths are usually recommended for easing pain and speeding up labor. They worked for me. I borrowed a birthing ball (just a giant rubber ball, also used for exercise and phsyical therapy, and kid's play) and used it at home, sitting on it and kind of making figure 8's with my hips, and at the hospital for that last 1 cm of dilation. Baby was on my back and killing me. Use a wall or partner holding your shoulder for support. Kneeling with arms on a chair was also helpful. Baby falls forward a little and it gets some pressure off your back, stomach, bladder. Your partner can also sit or stand behind you and support your belly with his hands. Kind of loving and a release of some of the weight at the same time.

I got a great handout of labor positions during my childbirth class. If you email me directly, I will scan it and email it to you, or I will post it here tomorrow. I believe there are also many positions described in Penny Simkin's book "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn" or in "Comfort Measures in Childbirth". I think she is a physical therapist who has written a lot on childbirth. I was very interested but inhibited about using different positions to deal with labor and the actual birth, so I really needed some visuals to give me ideas and help me feel comfortable.

Final thought - trying different positions for labor doesn't mean you have to actually give birth in an inventive position. You can do both, or you can do just one. Duh, but I was slow to realize that.

Edited: Here are the handouts with labor positions.

Lucia
04-12-2004, 07:49 PM
I used the Bradley method for childbirth and had an amazing labor experience...very lucky, I know (but I guess it all worked out since I had a very scary and complicated pregnancy). Anyway, there were some positions that really helped (especially since I had a lot of back labor). I spent most of my time in the tub (there was one in my hospital room) and the rest of the time I was on my hands and knees or bent over a birthing ball. Walking also helped and so did swaying in my husband's arms. It was also very helpful to have someone massage my lower back.

You might want to check out a Bradley method book (library usually has some) and look at the positions. Also good for your birthing partner to take a look and "practice" some before you are in labor so you both know what works for you. Our teacher kept stressing that it was important to vary the positions and I think this also helped. The best thing seems to be up and off your back so gravity will help labor progress and moving so your body doesn't get stiff. There are also some basic stretches you can be doing now to help your body prepare for labor.

One other thing that helped me was to have pre-selected some music that I found soothing.

Good luck and may you have a wonderful, fast, and easy delivery!

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

zen_bliss
04-13-2004, 01:05 AM
another vote for a birthing ball. just a yoga or pilates ball at most sporting goods stores -- only about $25. you can sit on it and roll your hips with your legs spread, sit on it and lean on a chair,stretch your back and sides. that and all fours on a soft surface -- i brought some gardening pads for my knees. walking and breathing, and leaning on the wall for contractions was also good. i had a string of glass beads in my hand that i rubbed for focus. i realize now it must have looked like i had a of set rosary beads out there while pacing in the hospital hallway! the focused deep breathing and concentrating and patience of yoga was great preparation for labor.

himom
04-13-2004, 04:49 AM
I loved the birthing ball too. I spent almost all my labor perched up on a ball, mostly distracting myself by reading, surfing the net, etc.

The shower really helped too. I think I took 7 or 8 showers the day DS was born, and I would probably have stayed in there if the nurses hadn't kept making me come out so they could put the stupid monitor back on. I'm convinced the shower helped speed up labor, not slow it down.

Best of luck with the newest baby!

Jodi

houseof3boys
04-13-2004, 09:08 AM
More votes for the bathtub (I spent about 5 hours before the hospital in our nice big one and about 4 hours in the tiny little one in the hospital), a birthing ball (you can even get them at Marshalls or TJ Maxx) and squatting. I asked for a squat bar for my bed at the hospital to make it easier. I practiced squatting for about 3 months to build up my leg strength since this was the way I wanted to deliver and I wanted my legs to be used to it. Unfortunately, they had to break my water and I had meconium in my fluid so that was out of the question but up until then I sat in a squatting position!

Focused slow yoga breathing was the way I dealt with the pain and knowing that I had a goal in mind (to deliver drug free) helped me get there.

Best of luck to you! :)

loewymartin
04-13-2004, 12:11 PM
I had a quick labor/delivery so maybe what I have to say doesn't have much merit :-) But I was in the shower, and the hospital had a handheld shower head which we aimed right at my lower back (I had back labor). I then delivered on my left side...my doula held up my top leg when I was pushing or going through a contraction. My husband used his knuckles as counterpressure on my lower back. (Next time I will bring tennis balls for this!) The counterpressure was exactly what I needed - but wasn't enough! Ken said he could have pushed a car easier than the pressure he applied (at my request!) on my back!

The water really helped. Oh, I forgot, when I was first getting contractions I found squatting to be the easiest way to relieve some of the pain. I think you have to try just about everything to find a good position for you. The squatting thing was an instinct for me - right after my water broke I did it and found it worked. Ken found me naked, in my closet, trying to figure out what to wear, squatting through a contraction!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

MelissaTC
04-13-2004, 09:17 PM
I did a lot of squatting. I held onto the bars on the side of the bed and squatted next to the bed. I also loved sitting in the jet tub in the bathroom. It was relaxing and felt nice on my back. I hated being in the bed!

ChicagoMama
04-13-2004, 10:29 PM
My first labor was 30 hours (and I would argue that it was mostly hard labor). My second was extended over a couple of days, but probably about 10 hours of hard labor.

My favorite positions/locations while still at home were:

-- squatting/leaning on the stairs - this was so great
-- the shower
-- squatting/leaning on the big stuffed chair in the living room

I would squat/lean and then breathe, breathe, breathe and relax every muscle in my body - oh, it worked so well that way!!

I did the same things in the hospital (I delivered with a midwife in the hospital), but it was different once we were there. We did pull out the squat bar for the first baby.

Best of luck to you!!!

Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03