PDA

View Full Version : OT: lawn mowers

C99
04-12-2004, 04:50 PM
We have a postage-stamp size yard, so we've been using an old-fashioned push mower for the past 2 years. But my husband really wants a power mower and I'd like to get one for him. Help! I know nothing about power mowers. Which is better -- gas or electric? What are good brands of mowers? And how much should I expect to pay for a lawn mower? As I said, our yard is TINY, so we don't need anything too big/powerful. Just something that will satiate my husband's need for some power lawn tools. :) Suggestions?

jbowman
04-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi Caroline,

I am by no means an expert (LOL I don't mow the lawn!), but we bought a lawn mower last year. I would suggest a gas mower (although electric might be fine if your lawn is really small). I would take a look at Sears--often they have sales as well as a variety of models (smaller to more powerful). I think Sears/Craftsman is a good brand.

Also consider if you want a bag on the mower (that you empty) or a mulcher (blows grass out the side). The price will depend on features, but you should be able to get a decent mower under $200. HTH!

lisams
04-12-2004, 07:04 PM
We went with an electric (Black and Decker) for a few reasons, the biggest being - no need to keep gas on hand/stored or even mess with it, no pollution. We also have a small grass area, and it has been wonderful for the three years we have had it. It is actually much quieter than a gas mower. I think we spent about $200 on it (that was 3 years ago).

Lisa

jd11365
04-12-2004, 07:50 PM
We owned a lawn service for 10 years. Gas has more power than electric, but if you are used to an old fashioned type, I guess you will think the electric is powerful regardless. W/ electric you have to chase a cord around and you need to make sure you have an outdoor outlet. If the outlet is in the front and you need to cut the back, (or vice versa) you will be using extention cords...a pain. And make sure to get one with a self-propelled mower...that's what DH will really enjoy. You don't have to push it, just hold down the handle and it goes on its own...you just steer it. I wouldn't own one that wasn't SP...though I rarely cut the grass. ;) You can usually get a deal for around $200 bucks if you look around...obviously SP is a little more expensive, but if you find a deal you can stay in the same price range.

HTH!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

C99
04-12-2004, 09:03 PM
We don't have an outdoor outlet anywhere (though there is one in the garage), so I guess that I will start looking at gas-powered mowers then!

C99
04-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Follow-up question...my husband wants to know if this is a rational fear or not... when you have an electric lawn mower, is it possible to mow over the cord and electrocute yourself? Or would the blades simply cut the power?