PDA

View Full Version : What have you given DH for anniversary? I'm stuck!

alkagift
04-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Ok, I have this sweet card but I really want to give my DH a gift. Any favorite gifts you have given your DH for anniversaries? It's our 8th, so no fun number theme comes to mind. I talked to him about it, and he said (I swear) "Honey, you give me so much every day, I don't need anything." I love this man!! I just STINK at gift giving.

By the way, my gift to him for Christmas was organizing all his tools in the basement, including shelving, etc. How blah is that!!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Marisa6826
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Gift cards always work. Amazon, Home Depot/Lowes, Apple store, etc.

What about getting HIM a massage?

You can also always negotiate a babysitter and go for dinner and dancing or a movie. Remember what dating was like?! :)

Congrats!!

-m

papal
04-12-2004, 06:56 PM
This is probably not the greatest idea but my dh LOVED the striped short johns set from Hanna. Nothing like a super comfy pair of pajamas to slip into after a hard day of work! :)

Imperia
04-12-2004, 07:08 PM
My DH is the same way. I hate trying to buy him presents because if he needs something he usually buys it for himself. And he always says not to buy him anything. At Christmas he told me I was already giving him everything he wanted (he meant the baby!)

His favourite gift I have given him would probably be the wrist watch I gave him. HE loves it and wears it all the time. It wasn't a super expensive watch either, probably between $100-200.

Also nice are books (I LOVE to get books), DVDs (especially sets if there is a special one he would like), time alone with you =D

I like dthe idea of the massage if he likes that kind of thing.

One anniversary DH and I (pre baby) went to a japanese tea room/spa place. We got a room with a hot tub and sauna. The place we went they brought us tea, and it overlooked a japanese garden. You could get massages as well, but I don't like strangers touching me =D

Imperia

houseof3boys
04-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Organizing the basement? Come to my house Allison! I actually think that is a great gift that you gave him.

Ours is coming up on May 1st (our 5th)and I am at a loss too. He just bought a new computer, a new PDA and he certainly doesn't need any clothes. I am just watching him like a hawk when he is on the internet browsing at stuff or reading the ads in the Sunday paper to see what he is eyeing. So my suggestion would be to be a peeping Allison and see if you can figure out what *he* wants otherwise I'd say plan a nice dinner out (I would be glad to watch Matthew....really) in our fine city and then figure out the gift. When is the big date?

farsk
04-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Allison,

I know it sounds corny, but I gave my DH a star for his birthday. Sincerely...I had a star named in his honor. You can get details at
http://starwishing.com/main.html

Anyway, DH is very big into his weight training, so I chose a star in the Hercules constellation.

Good Luck!

aguinn
04-12-2004, 10:09 PM
i gave my DH a pic of him kissing our DS and he loved it! i've also given him blown-up pics of himself as a baby at roughly the same age of our DS, which he also totally digs.

good luck!
;)amy
proud momma to aidan

kelly ann
04-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Debbi-

Just want to say that we also got married 5 years ago on May 1st! I am looking into a wide screen lcd tv for DH, but I am completely ignorant when it comes to all the accessories I should be buying. Gosh...where am I even going to put the tv???

Anyway, best of luck snooping for a gift :)

Saartje
04-13-2004, 12:34 AM
DH and I follow his family's rules about gift-giving occasions: No buying anything for yourself for a month in advance, and you have to leave hints about things you might like to make it easy for others. (The hints generally take the form of what books you look at when the family takes a trip to a large bookstore.)

DH and I haven't usually given each other gifts on our anniversary, though. Instead, we get together and select something we'd both like — usually something for the house.

In your case, if he doesn't want anything, don't give him a thing. Do something nice for him instead: arrange a babysitter and take him out on a date, cook his favourite meal, absolve him from his least favourite chore for a certain period of time.

redhookmom
04-13-2004, 12:49 AM
My DH's favorite gift was the guitar lessons.

He is a chef and therefore cannot wear a wristwatch so I bought him a watch that you hang from your belt. He liked that too.

heidi_timms
04-13-2004, 01:01 AM
I love redenvelope.com for gifts. IMO, they have the classiest gifts. For Valentine's day, I got DH a nice cherrywood valet (men's jewelry box) box for his keys, cell phone, his wallet at night, ring, etc. It was monogrammed and just beautiful. They don't have the one that I ordered anymore, but they have other nice ones.

Another idea if you live near a large metro area is play tickets. We love to see the hip broadway shows that come to town, so it makes a nice date. We live in the San Francisco metro area, so I realize that not every area has shows though.

For gifts, I always try and give something that DH wouldn't splurge on for himself.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Sarah1
04-13-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm with you, Allison--I NEVER know what to get my DH for anniversaries and birthdays! I almost dread it! Men have it so much easier...they can just always buy jewelry. You can't go wrong with jewelry!

alkagift
04-13-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm embarrassed to say it's today!! Actually, though, we are exchanging cards today and celebrating on Thursday because, oops, DH didn't get around to finishing the taxes yet...

Honestly he doesn't shop for himself. The only thing he's ever bought for himself is gym clothes and underwear! I am not kidding! I have to prod him and accompany him to get everything else--or order it for him from Lands End. He's not much for gadgets, either, although if I could get him a new cell phone, now that might be worthwhile!

I'll email you, Debbi!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Jen in Chicago
04-13-2004, 10:01 AM
My DH's FAVORITE wedding gift was our pair of Glenmede Waterford Beer Pilsners (now available at Waterford outlets). For special occassions over the years I buy another 2 for the collection. We now have 8. I am not a beer drinker, but drinking beer from Waterford is a WONDERFUL thing.

A second favorite gift I think he would say his is Nissan Coffee Mug (from Starbucks). He likes HOT coffee. He also loves his coffee maker (Braun with an insulated carafe (sp?)). He loves coffee! Starbucks is his weakness. When DS was born at 12:20 on DH's b-day within 10 minutes DH had a card from DS with a Starbucks Gift Card--- I planned (kind of, I was overdue and paniced so I went to Starbucks the morning my water broke) ahead but did not expect them to share a birthday!

DH travels a lot and now travels with his leather fold up picture frame (Restoration Hardware) with pictures of DS and I. He puts us up when he arrives to his hotel.

Not sure what your husband values, but maybe one of these would be nice.

cchavez
04-13-2004, 10:53 AM
DH and I usually don't splurge on big gifts for each other on our anniversary. We usually go out to a nice dinner and we might get something for the house (ok that would be a splurge) but usually we give each other something small like a CD or book. I was thinking of getting the book. "1,000 Place to Visit before you Die" for DH in the near future.

We both enjoyed travelling prebaby and hope to explore the world again someday!

cchavez
04-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Wow! Waterford Beer Pilners....great idea!!!

nola
04-13-2004, 02:46 PM
this year I got him a single rose and a nice card that looked like it had been made for him. I think he mostly wants to know that I love him and was thinking about him. sometimes I get him stuff he wants, but hasn't been able to give himself permission to buy.