PDA

View Full Version : Parents of picky eaters...

Mommie2MadLyn
04-13-2004, 05:27 PM
I now this topic has probably been discussed here many times, but I have to ask,"when do you start to really worry?" DD has always been a picky eater, but in the last month or so it has become scary!!! I can literally tell you what she has had to eat since Sunday. This is just to give you an idea of how little she is taking in.

Sunday - Breakfast- 5 cheerios, and 2 small bites of watermelon.
Lunch- nothing, she refused evrything we offered
Naptime - had a 6oz. cup of milk before going to sleep
Snack - cousins gave her a couple jelly beans
Dinner - Maybe 4 bites of mac & cheese (bites meaning ONE noodle!)
Bedtime - Had 8 oz. cup of milk before going to bed for the night.

Monday - Breakfast - NOTHING!!!
Lunch - half of a Danimals yogurt
8 oz. cup of milk
Dinner - About a 1/4 slice of pizza...maybe not even.
Cup of juice diluted with water. Drank about 2 oz.
Bedtime - 8 oz. cup of milk before going to bed.

Today - I can't evn break it down into meals because she has not really had ANYTHING today at all. She ate 2 bites of strawberries and watermelon this morning. And then nothing for the rest of the day! Right now after trying to offer her just about everything I can think of for Lunch/Dinner she has refused it all!!! She is playing wiht some veggie sticks though and ate 2 I think. ( They look like French Fries, and they come in a bag that is sold with the chips in our grocery store...not REAL veggie sticks!)
I just don't know what to do about this. Should I take her to the doctor? I know she has a little cold right now, but that only started yesterday but these eating habits have been going on for weeks! I'm sorry this got so long, but I am really just looking for any advice you might have on how to handle this. Thank you.

lisams
04-13-2004, 06:26 PM
I feel for you, DD is a picky eater and there are some days where I think she lives on air. I would call the ped and have them check her weight just to reassure you. I'm guesing they'll tell you to reduce the amount of milk to up her food intake - I think 16 oz. is the max recommended for 1+ year olds (if that's the case just make sure to offer water frequently throughout the day). It sounds like a cold could be causing her to lose her appetite, the few times DD has been sick she barely eats for a few days before and after. I give DD a multivitamin just for my own reassurance, maybe that's something you could try? If she's healthy and happy then I would say she's doing fine, but I would call your ped just for your own reassurance.

Good luck!
Lisa

ddmarsh
04-13-2004, 07:10 PM
I too had a very picky eater until very, very recently. A couple of things happened that helped increase her food intake. First, my ped said to cut back on the milk comsumption. It was *so* tough to do b/c there I was knowing she would eat little else. I was really skeptical and quite leary.

The second thing that happened (which helped along the first one) was that I called into the Diane Rehm show on NPR one afternoon while Dr. Brazelton was on and asked about the whole picky eater thing which is new to me - none of my other children ever were as extreme as this. Dr. Brazelton said as long as they have a pint of milk, a little bit of protein, some fruit and multi-vitamin that they would be fine. He actually said "notice I didn't mention vegetables - don't worrry about them."

Long story short I did give it a try and almost immediately she responded by picking up her eating. She still doesn't eat alot and will eat practically nothing with much texture but she has definately turned around competely.

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you -

daisymommy
04-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Joshua seems to survive on air as well ;) I took him to the Pediatricians one day because I was really getting worried about his eating. He had just been there for a check-up only 3 weeks earlier. When I brought him in to talk about his eating, they weighed him, and can you believe it--he had gained a pound! I would have figured he would have lost a pound!

I rattled off the list of what Josh eats on a normal basis (practically nothing!) and the Ped. (who has 3 grown kids, and 2 grand kids), just smiled and shook her head, saying "yep, yep, uh-huh, uh-huh." She said it's completely normal at this age, that her kids and grand kids were all the same way, and the number one question parents of toddlers ask her is about feeding problems and whether their toddlers are getting enough to eat.

She told me:
1) as long as they are maintaining their weight or gaining weight (versus not losing any over a period of time, or losing a little weight when they are sick)
2) as long as they are getting a multi-vitamin
3) getting 16-20 oz. of milk
4) have enough wet and dirty diapers
5) are playing and acting happy (not lethargic or sickly)

Then they're doing fine. She recomended that I evaluate how much Joshua eats in one WEEK, not just one day. And since I started thinking of things that way, it has really made a difference. Somedays he eats like a horse, other days he really only drinks and eats a few crackers. Oh well. He's meeting all the other requirements (especially still gaining weight by about 1 lb. each month!) so I don't worry anymore.

The other thing that I have learned, is when he doesn't eat well all week, and it seems like he has a cold, he usually has a sore throat--or he's teething. When food won't do, he LOVES Carnation instant breakfast mixes. nice and cold and soothing. Their also good for just a meal replacement if he won't eat. You can try Pediasure, as well. It's pretty expensive, but the Ped. said it's great for very picky eaters.

Mommie2MadLyn
04-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Thank you both for your reassurance. Debbie, thats interesting what the Dr. told you about all they need to be "fine". I do give her a multi-vitamin every morning, so at least that is a good thing! I know her cold is probably making matters worse, but as I said before, she has always been terrible when it comes to eating. DH and I always joke about "where does she come from? We sure like to eat...and then some!!!" :-)

Edited : Thank you too Amy! I have tried both Carnation Instant breakfast and Pediasure, but like everything else..."its YUCKY" But thanks for the info!

ddmarsh
04-13-2004, 09:31 PM
I wanted to add 3 suggestions that my DD will eat without fail:

1. Yo Baby (blueberry and apple are favorites)
2. mandarin oranges
3. cantalope

If you haven't tried any of these maybe they might take for yours as well :).

Torey
04-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Well I know this has been discussed before in other threads but can you distract her and feed her? I don't think my DD would eat anything if I just put her in her highchair and tried to feed her. So I end up feeding her while she is playing, watching a video, or sitting in my lap while I am eating or daddy is eating. Using this method I get her to eat a pretty good amount of food everyday. I know some people would say we are developing terrible habits, but I figure I can explain to her why she has to sit at the table and eat when she gets older. Right now I think my main purpose is to get her to eat. Anyway, just a thought. :)

boys2enough
04-13-2004, 11:21 PM
>Well I know this has been discussed before in other threads
>but can you distract her and feed her? I don't think my DD
>would eat anything if I just put her in her highchair and
>tried to feed her. So I end up feeding her while she is
>playing, watching a video, or sitting in my lap while I am
>eating or daddy is eating. Using this method I get her to eat
>a pretty good amount of food everyday. I know some people
>would say we are developing terrible habits, but I figure I
>can explain to her why she has to sit at the table and eat
>when she gets older. Right now I think my main purpose is to
>get her to eat. Anyway, just a thought. :)

Oh, oh, oh, this is exactly what I am doing. I actually was going to write almost the exact same thing in your post, and was worried that people may step out and say, "You know, this is a bad habit blah blah..."

Thank you thank you for posting. I feel relieved to learn that Gabriel is not the only kid who will not sit still in the highchair long enough to finish a meal! I actually have been feeling quite guilty about the whole thing, like I am just taking the easy way out and not making an effort to teach him the "right eating habit."

I do feel the same way as you though: wait until they are older, then they can learn to sit down and eat. Right now I give Gabriel food when he is playing, reading a book, or watch the Wiggles etc. He actually eats all sorts of stuff this way that my 6 yo would not even touch, but he becomes a picky eater when sitting in his highchair. I can see a lifetime of TV dinners in front of him... lol. Cheers, Lin

Torey
04-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Have you ever seen the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? There is this kid in the movie called Mike TV (because he always watches television). His mother brags that he eats all his meals in front of the TV. Sometimes I think of him when I am putting a video on so I can feed DD and laugh to myself that she is turning into Mike TV. Anyway, it's pretty funny. But don't worry, I doubt our kids will still be watching TV while we trick them into eating in a few years. :)

lizamann
04-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Oh that's funny about Dr. Brazelton! I just posted in another post about my wonderful mother's advice about not stressing about the veggies. Hey - does that hold for adults, too? ;)

jubilee
04-14-2004, 01:54 AM
After hearing of recommendations from this board, I read "Child of Mine: feeding with Love and Good Sense" by Ellyn Satter. It was pretty good and talked a lot about how and how not to get your kid to eat. If you ask for reviews in the Feeding Baby section of the boards you'll probably get some more info.

pamela mom of 3
04-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Well you know all my kids are what one would call "picky eaters"

Basically i'd speak with you doctor and after that unless your child is doing poorly ..dropping weight, always sick etc..i wouldn't worry that much, offer healthy choices and just keep offering.

My kids really have no set meal times, as long as they have eaten that day, i don't worry about whether or not they ate lunch/dinner etc i let them decide how much & if they are hungry, i know they will not stave themselves, my Kitchen is always open LOL :D ...they continue to grow and are healthy so i try not to worry about it, i don't want to battle over food.

Good Luck! :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif