PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My DS painted the house (and himself) with desitin!!!

JenaW
04-13-2004, 05:40 PM
OK - this definitely goes under the "most embarassing moment" post!

I went downstairs for 2 minutes - to put a load of towels in the dryer. My son was in a babyproof area...or so I thouhgt. All chemicals are tightly locked, stairs are blocked, etc. The sad thing is, I even gave him the box of desitin to play with. STUPID ME! It was a brand new box that I got out to put in the diaper basket. I come back up and he has managed to get it out of the box, open the cap and paint himself, the fridge, the stove, and our tile kitchen floor with almost the entire tube!!! I am not worried about the kitchen....I am worried about his brand new super cute outfit that now has a thick layer of desitin smeared all over it. HOW DO I WASH IT???? Hot water? Cold? It is 100% cotton, white with multi colored stripes. Stain stick??? How do I get this stuff off???????

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Cautiously pregnant with #2 ~ 10.13.04

sweetbasil
04-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Jera,
This happened with us around Christmas- it was a tub of Dr. Smith's diaper ointment. I looked at the ingredients- it was petroleum based, so I scrubbed it with vegetable oil (not water--- that makes it set in!) until it came out. Kellen was wearing a new Hanna Andersson outfit at the time, and I couldn't bear to spend that much, um, again, on a replacement outfit!

Did you get a pic of Carter? You may end up laughing about this later...much later ;)

JenaW
04-14-2004, 09:27 AM
ok - so scrub with the oil, then how did you wash it to get the oil out???

YES....I did think to grab the camera....as much for the expression on his face as anything else. He was so darn proud of himself! But I am not sure how well they came out. Everything is already white so you couldn't see much anyways...and I didn't sue the flash. But it was digital, so we'll see.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

sweetbasil
04-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Sorry, Jera...I blocked out that part of the traumatic experience ;)

I used goo-gone to get the stain out of the fabric (the oil was for DS's hair).

HTH,